Windage tray question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
At what point do you need a windage tray? My engine builder says that there is no need for one on my build, but I want to run it by you guys. I am building a zero deck 360 street motor that will see 6K every once in a while. What do you think?

You don't NEEEEEEED a windage tray, but I gurantee you WAAAAAANT a windage tray....

Nothing like free HP, and less air in your oil, eh??? Your engine builder sounds kinda whack. I like windage trays in the wifes ride that will not see 3500RPM unless I blow the cobwebs out...............

But it's YOUR call..... (DOOOO IIIIIT)

What type of pan?

Stock pan, I'd run a tray.

If it's a deeper pan, I don't bother. Bunch of guys have done test lately on the effects of using a tray and most say don't bother with a higher capacity pan.

You don't NEEED a 4 barrel, You don't NEEED a stereo, but hell, put what YOU want in it!!

I can rationalize it this way, a MP windage tray kit is cheaper than a set of aftermarket oil pan gaskets. And they throw in the windage tray. (At least it was for my 440)

440's yea, SB's no.

A windage tray with a stock depth (Key word, depth) is 15 free HP on a absoultely stock build.
Open up the louvers to be level with the pan rails for best drainage.

Deep pans have little to no need for a windage tray unless theres some serious truning goin on. Oil splashing up is an issue for a road racer, and there pans are baffled as such to handle it. It's not really for a drag racer since there pan is very deep and is baffled for extreme G take offs.

but these are deadicated pans designed for that useage. If your useing one, no worries. Stock pan, free HP. I'm useing one on my zero deck 360.

Thanks for the input. Maybe that is where me and my engine builder got confused, because I was telling him that I was thinking about going to a deeper pan. I have a stock pan and may just use a windage tray.

Badart, use a windage tray! I'm putting one on my mild 318, with stock pan...

1z20hs8.jpg

Screw the windage tray and bolt on a Hughes Stud Girdle (I have one on my 340). Not only does it make the bottom end stronger, it also acts like a windage tray (according to Hughes Engine).

Girdles are not trays or scrapers. It's just marketing hype there. Like saying a plus to painting an engine black makes it will run cooler.
I run trays on every small block I do. There are those who say it catches oil and traps it around the crank, and those that say it does nothing, and those that say it does. Similar to those who mandate running an HV oil pump. With good clearances, and correct volume for those clearances, there isnt a ton of "extra" oil being pumped out every bearing and getting caught in the cranks slipstream. I think at minimum it will keep oil from being picked up by the slipstream under acceleration and at steady higer than cruise rpm. If you want to see if there's any creedence given to them, look in any modern engine. They all have windage control systems in place.

Wait a minute you are only going to turn it 6K every once in awhile.You can turn it harder than that......

-
Back