Windshield for a 64 Dart question...

-

redrag64

Reaction score
I need to replace the windshield in my 64 Dart convertible. I found a nice windshield locally from a 64 Barracuda, but need to know if it will fit. Also, I know they say that you need a different seal/gasket for the convertibles, but a member here told me he used the standard seal on his vert, and it worked perfectly. Any info on the windshield and/or the gasket would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Every place I look says that the converts are not the same (I have a 64 Valiant conv) as the sedans/hard tops/wagons. That said it may be that it is the same except for extra rubber "ears" in each top corner that can be filled with rtv. It may be that a sedans rubber will work-if you do not drive in the rain. I would try to find a picture of both to see what is not the same.

Every place I look says that the converts are not the same (I have a 64 Valiant conv) as the sedans/hard tops/wagons. That said it may be that it is the same except for extra rubber "ears" in each top corner that can be filled with rtv. It may be that a sedans rubber will work-if you do not drive in the rain. I would try to find a picture of both to see what is not the same.

So Cal car, not a daily driver, so I don't really need to worry about rain. Is it safe to assume that the windshield itself is the same, but the seal is a potential issue?

Windshield is the same on all '63-'66 A-bodies.

Find and use the correct seal or you will eventually regret it.

The windshield glass is the same for all 63-66 A bodies. The gasket/rubber is not for the conv only but I do not know what is different. As I said we need to find parts books that show the parts to see what is different. Or a online vender that has pictures. I am still looking.

Windshield is the same on all '63-'66 A-bodies.

Find and use the correct seal or you will eventually regret it.

Can you PLEASE elaborate? What is the difference, and what is the issue with using a "standard" seal??? THANKS!

Can you PLEASE elaborate?

I would if I could. But we are talking about Chrysler here. Wherever there was a penny to be saved, they saved it. They didn't go round issuing multiple part numbers for the fun of it, and convertible-specific parts tend to exist because they need to be different.

I would if I could. But we are talking about Chrysler here. Wherever there was a penny to be saved, they saved it. They didn't go round issuing multiple part numbers for the fun of it, and convertible-specific parts tend to exist because they need to be different.

You're kind of like Yoda, only different. I think I understand.:joker:

I have 2 verts that I'm working on and was lucky enough to have one of the members (thanks Cosig)on here have a convertible windshield seal and I had just bought a repop seal, the only difference I could see was the top inner area on the convertible seal is taller by about 3/8 of an inch other than that it looks the same
I'll see if I took pictures and post em for ya

I have 2 verts that I'm working on and was lucky enough to have one of the members (thanks Cosig)on here have a convertible windshield seal and I had just bought a repop seal, the only difference I could see was the top inner area on the convertible seal is taller by about 3/8 of an inch other than that it looks the same
I'll see if I took pictures and post em for ya

Pictures would be great. What's your opinion as far as the two being interchangable? THANKS!

I need to replace the windshield in my 64 Dart convertible. I found a nice windshield locally from a 64 Barracuda, but need to know if it will fit. Also, I know they say that you need a different seal/gasket for the convertibles, but a member here told me he used the standard seal on his vert, and it worked perfectly. Any info on the windshield and/or the gasket would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
......................................................................................................
The gaskets are different between the Conv. and the rest of the body styles. It's the upper horizontal section that has the changes. The inner surface is wider on the Conv. and the outer surface is slightly wider. I've read other posts that claim they interchange but as Dan pointed out, Chrysler didn't make different ones just for the fun of it. The windshields are all the same size as is the lock strip. Here's a photo of the inner surface up by the left top corner.

Ooops, hit the wrong button....here's the photo.....

Attachments

• 100_0728.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 190
......................................................................................................
The gaskets are different between the Conv. and the rest of the body styles. It's the upper horizontal section that has the changes. The inner surface is wider on the Conv. and the outer surface is slightly wider. I've read other posts that claim they interchange but as Dan pointed out, Chrysler didn't make different ones just for the fun of it. The windshields are all the same size as is the lock strip. Here's a photo of the inner surface up by the left top corner.

This is what I was afraid of. Any suggestions on where to pick-up a correct seal? It sounds like they are pretty hard to come by. Any chance Sweetwater has one? The windshield is from the guy parting out the Barracuda down in your neck of the woods. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

One correction before I go on.....the inner surface is NARROWER on the conv..... not wider. It's just the outside that is a little wider. In the photo, the lower gasket is the convertible one. I dont' have any extra conv. ones at the moment. The one in the photo is for one of my projects. You're getting the windshield from the knucklehead parting that perfectly good running '64 on Craig's list? I can't believe he did that. I assume you've checked all the usual suspects on a new gasket....Year One, Layson's, Metro, A&M Softseal, Steele Products? Another guy I used to work with but haven't talked to in years is Pat Walsh Restorations.....Is that guy still around? Service wasn't too good but he had some early A-body stuff nobody else had.
Good Luck!

One correction before I go on.....the inner surface is NARROWER on the conv..... not wider. It's just the outside that is a little wider. In the photo, the lower gasket is the convertible one. I dont' have any extra conv. ones at the moment. The one in the photo is for one of my projects. You're getting the windshield from the knucklehead parting that perfectly good running '64 on Craig's list? I can't believe he did that. I assume you've checked all the usual suspects on a new gasket....Year One, Layson's, Metro, A&M Softseal, Steele Products? Another guy I used to work with but haven't talked to in years is Pat Walsh Restorations.....Is that guy still around? Service wasn't too good but he had some early A-body stuff nobody else had.
Good Luck!

Yep, I've check around and no luck. And yes, it is the 64 on Craigslist. And yes, it is a bummer that it is being parted out. It seems like it was in really good shape. It sounds like the owner had multiple supposed sales fall through and got frustrated. On the plus side, I'm picking up quite a few things that are getting me closer to the finish line. I'll see if I can track down Pat Walsh. Thanks for the lead!

There's a whole '65 Dart conv. for sale in Malibu, Ca. on Craig's list for only $700. Seems like kind of a rust bucket but looks pretty complete. If it was down here, I'd pick it up.

If all else fails get a mopar action or muscle mag and look it up I think theres a plase called soff seal that sells nothing but window seals,cat wiskers,quarter window seals, etc

-
Back