Windshield Removal '73 Swinger

-

WmBaldwin57

Reaction score
I am restoring a 73 Swinger for my son who is in the Navy. I need to take the front and rear windshields out for some body repair and easy access to the dash vents. I thought I would hire a windshield repair place to take these out and then come back and put them in when necessary. But the 'pro' told me the windshield would break if I took them out? I said there is no need to pay you if your going to break my windshield, I can do that myself. Does his comments make any sense to anyone? Shouldn't these windshields come out without breaking? Help?

I would find another "pro". I haven't done a front windshield but I have done the back and it did not break. It was on a 63 dart though. I know there are alot of guys and gals here that have remove and reinstalled windshields without breaking them.

They won't break for sure I have taken them out with a straight edge screwdriver and not broken them the things you need to look at is the gasket hard if it is you can't save it and maybe not even the windshield hard gaskets mean old windshield and the laminate will seperate when you pull the window but none the less it is worth a shot pull the trim off first then if the gasket is hard use a sharp knife and cut it down the seam once the window is cut free lightly push up all the way around from the inside on old glass it is 50/50 if the laminate will separate if the gasket is soft you can use a straight edge screwdriver to push the inside edge up over the edge of the windshield it takes work and time but if you work all the way around and check to make sure it is all tucked up you can save both the gasket and windshield I have done it this way 2ce with success once when I got lazy and pried the window out it broke but only one have I ever broken out of a dozen or so but the rest once the pressure was off the laminate seperated I was thinking of trying to experiment with popsicle stick on the inside of the gasket to pull it in one piece to keep the laminate from seperating but haven't tried it yet so wouldn't recommend it

A new pro was my thoughts, maybe I'll just hire one to put them back in with all new seals. I think I can take this thing out by myself. I've got plenty of time to work on it. Thanks for the help.

I had new seals for both front & back on my 64, so I just razored the seal lip and lifted the glass out, no muss no fuss! Be careful not to tap the edge on anything, that's when they pop!
By the way, I have been trying sense 3/28/09 to find a professional glass installer. This morning I just drove our 67 Dart, 45 miles to get insurance windshield, and I had to school the shop on why the self locking gasket for 68 & 69 dart with reviel molding (precision #WCRD691) was not the right gasket for a 67 Dart 4 door with lockstrip and corners. They tried to convince me to use this gasket and see if it fits! Ahh yea Rrrriiiiiight! See ya!
I'm going to have insurance cut me the check and do it myself!
You'll probibly end up with a better job doing it yourself too.
Good Luck!

Here are some pics of mine. I used that razor to cut the gasket edge.

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

Well Dan201 should have paid more attention to the screwdriver comment :) busted the crap out of it.... Well it's out, now where is the best place to get a replacement with gaskets?

In the end you will be glad you installed a new front glass.

thats how I take all my shields out cut a nice chunk of the gasket with a razor knife grab hold of it with a pair of pliars walk it all around the window and wala the shield pops right out

Here are some pics of mine. I used that razor to cut the gasket edge.
I second this about cutting the gasket out with a strait razors.
I watched a pro get my windshield out and they have a special handle that holds a Stanly pointed razor blade that you hold with two hands and cut flush with the windshield, Might be tough to get the windshield out after that. they sat in the drivers seat and pushed it out with there feet real easily.I was having a new one put back in but I don't think it cracked more than it already was.
dodgedartCassiniranch007.jpg

you could buy this:

link: rsp216 tool, is nylon blade that works really well in place of a screwdriver.....
RSP216_pJPG.JPG

and this tool should be used for reveal clips:
18160d1272841745-windshield-trim-help-trimtool.jpg

it is a KD tool, any parts store should have it

My buddy works for Safelite, and they told you it would break because his company tells them to tell the customer it might so the customer won't get pissed if it does, the older gasketed glass comes out easy, the newer urethaned in glass will not, they crack coming out! I have a long blade and thats the way I plan on getting my front glass out and I will have him get me a new front glass and both front and rear gaskets when I paint my car, kinda nice having friends that can hook you up!

do you put anything on a new front windshield gasket before installing glass? sealer or anything?

I haven't replaced the windshiled yet, waiting for paint which should happen in the next couple of months. Once painted I might get a pro to re-install. I'd hate to have leaks because I messed something up.

-
Back