windshield seal help dont want chrome trim what should i do?

-

plymouth73

Reaction score
hello mopar fans,

I have a 1973 Plymouth scamp, I am replacing the front and back windshield seals and I do not want to put the chrome trim back on around the seals, so I know I can put the seals on without the chrome trim but there will be a gap showing I need ideas of how I can fill or cover the gap so it does not collect water. has anyone used a lock strip to fill the gap? or if anybody knows of a seal that is made to be used without the trim any input is welcome thank you.

If I recall correctly, 67 only seals should work, and used a cheesy chromed plastic lock strip, which could be subbed out for a plain bead lock strip. Maybe some 67 owners could chime in?

Thank you a38valiant I will keep that in mind. I was thinking just install it without chrome then measure the gap and find a black lock strip slightly bigger than the gap and pop it in. Does that sound feasible?

The 67 gasket didn't completely fill the voids that are hidden by reveal moldings.

I had my windshield gut use urethane windshield rubber to bond in some filler strips he carries in his van. The windshield guys carry these large rolls of different filler strips, they come in different sizes and are very cheap. The guy just uses an activator on your rubber//paint and bonds the strip to the car. It's been on there over a year with no problem. I removed my stainless because I know from experience that the little locking tabs that hold the trim on the car is where most of the corrosion begins on Mopars so I removed the tabs, filled the gulley with undercoat and sealed the whole thing up will filler strips. It should never, ever rust around the front or rear glass!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC03253.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC03254.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC03255.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC03256.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC03257.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC03258.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC03260.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC03262.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC03263.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC03264.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 249
Tremlig. Any idea who make the filler strips you used? Also a product number if you have it

No I don't have any product numbers. All I know is that every time that the windshield guy came to my house he had 3-4 large rolls of this rubber trim. This modern stuff not normally used on vintage cars. I would think that all windshield guys carry this same rubber trim because windshields are the same all over the US. Also you can buy the stuff at any windshield installation shop. They have it there in rolls also and they sell it to the public by the foot (it's cheap). But you will either have to buy the activator and the urethane OR pay the windshield guy to do it for you. They only charged me $30 per glass. DON'T use silicone!!! Silicone is very corrosive to metal and will eat you car alive!!

Treblig

But how do you change your windshield if it breaks (etc)?

You cut the rubber out along with the rubber trim strips and buy a new glass rubber boot. Then have the windshield guy seal it up again with the new rubber trim. Believe me it's a small price to pay to keep my Barracuda from rusting, especially around the back glass. Once the water gets under there where you can't see it works its way back into the trunk area (Fastback). My last Barracuda was ruined because of the rusting trim tabs and that stupid trough that not only holds water but makes a covered space (like a green house) that keeps the water from evaporating and collects dirt, small leaves and debris. I know many members love the stainless, I do too, but I love my car more. The primer sealer and the brush on undercoat in the trough will keep any water that might leak into the trough from ever touching any metal surface so it should never rust.
In my whole life (over 60 years) I've only had to replace one windshield so I'm not really worried about it anyway. A new glass seal/boot is a small price to pay in order to make a classic car last forever!!
My front and rear stainless sold here on FABO for $475 (it was nice). How many rubber gaskets/boots will that buy??? Besides it made my car kinda look like a drag car the way they bond their glass in without any trim.

treblig

This is my first thread so I wanted to say thanks for all the good input and opinions. Rust is is a concern my car was rusted around the windows got that all fixed and don't want it coming back. As for looking unfinished, the will be painted Satin black so it will blend well. and will be for fun not show.

Thanks for the pictures, treblig

No problem, My 67 FB Cuda rusted out from the bottom rear back glass (like most). The problem is that you don't even know the corrosion is there until it starts showing around the trim. they when you remove the trim and rubber you realize that it's been rotting for a long time. Once the water/corrosion eats a small hole into the bottom of that trough you start getting rust into the trunk area. Anyway, I'm probably preaching to the choir!!!
Now that I have a pristine '69 Cuda I'm doing everything I can to make it last forever. If you use my method make sure and put some good type of undercoat in the trough before you install the rubber. Seal off the metal real good and it should never rust (even if water gets in there). Water can't corrode the undercoating. I used a liquid rubber type undercoat, you can bush it on and it bonds real good to anything.

Good Luck!!

treblig

-
Back