Wiped out my heads/valves... I think

-

wyoduster

live free or die
Reaction score
Well my thread last week I asked you guys for help to get my car to run... Had lots of good feedback but she still wouldn't go.Thanks Guys!!!
I Believe I found out why it doesn't....
I checked compression last night and theres NONE. which I believe means the valves are bent.. Right. So I must have the timing off and the pistons took out the valves. So now I gotta get those heads off and have them redone. I'm pretty bummed...........

That sucks, but lets hope that your timing is off and it is just letting the valve open when it should be closed. Good luck

Sorry to hear that wyo, i've had the same thing happen to my engine. Sucks. However it does open the door for some brand new shiney edelbrock heads :D

Not every engine will warp valves when the timing chain jumps or is put together wrong. I'd pull the timing cover and get the crank/cam relation correct then run compression test again.

what redfish said if the timming is off the valves will be open when they should be closed thus no compression

Loosen the rockers and blow air in the cylinder. That'll tell you if the valves are bent or not seating correctly.

Also, not sure what you've been doing to get it to run, but if there's been a bunch of gas in the cylinders with no fire, you may have washed the oil off the cylinders and rings. That can make you lose compression too sometimes. A few drops of oil in the cylinder will help, if that's the case.

Tomarrow I'll check these things. Thanks... And yea maybe I'll put on a eldebrock intake if I can fine one reasonable... Tonight I'm just bummed and think I'll take the wife out for dinner and have a couple drinks..

If the valves are bent it will be between the guide and the valve head. If bent enough it will keep the valve from closing (I'm talking about really keeping it from closing) If that's the case, you could pull a valve cover and check your rocker to stem clearance. Obviously with a hydraulic cam you should have NO lash, and with a mechanical you should have a little (.018 or so)

Got more? bent valves!

Are you sure you put the timing chain back on correctly when you changed out your main seal? I seem to recall you removed the crank.

Unless you lined up the dots prior to tear down and lined them up again, and put it back on the same way, you may have the cam way out of phase.

Pull a valve cover and see if you have any valves that are hung open when the cam is on the base circle, no lift applied.

If you took the camshaft thrust plate off and didn't torque it back on then it can loosen off and fall into the timing chain and get shredded. Then the camshaft walks forward and the lifters hit the lobes next to the correct ones and you end up kissing pistons and all sorts of interesting stuff, strangely enought the engine will still run but like a bag of poo poo.

Don't ask how I know this but it can happen.......

-
Back