Wiper seals

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
Ok..I am officially tired of having wet carpet after it rains so I am going to have to install new wiper seals/gaskets. What level of difficulty is this job on a '72 Duster ? I really don't look foreward to it but It IS time. I Guess I will just have to do it. Thanks for any insight you can give.

Terry

I'd call it easy except the part of twisting the arm up to the spot where you need to be.

The job is worded easy enuff, so all you really need is to get to the pivot points, is to take out the glove box and on the drivers side, with the dash cluster removed, it's very easy to see and get to the pivot point.

A small wide screw driver will seperate the linkage and a small set of pliers or channel lock pliers will squeeze the parts back togther.

Once your done doing the job, you'll be saying, OK, it really wasn't that bad at all. I grabed the seals from http://www.engine-swaps.com/

They come with instructions that are very good and the product is very good.

I would suggest replacing the nylon sockets on the linkage while you're in there.

I would suggest replacing the nylon sockets on the linkage while you're in there.

Don't get them off the help boards at your friendly local generic auto parts store, they don't last long enough to even screw with. After THAT exercise in futility, I bought a set of genuine Mopar ones (buy it now Egay) from a Mopar vendor. The Mopar ones are still there doing what they're supposed to four years later.

As to the cowl leaks, don't be surprised when the new wiper transmission gaskets only slow them down, but don't stop them, and you find yourself chasing your tail trying to figure out where the leaks are REALLY coming from.

Ok guys....this is related to the thread so hopefully someone can shine some light on this for me....

72 plymouth duster

carpet was wet, ripped it out during resto, I have noticed since...while sitting outside, after it rains. I have a puddle of water on both the driver and passenger side floor boars and appears to be coming from under the dash some where, windows are up and are sealing tight agains the seals, the floors have been painted and a layer of dust has settled on top of the paint and I can see where water droplets washed away the dust and it looks like its dripping from the dash but I cannot see where water would be coming in at???

is this the wiper seals you speak of maybe giving me this problem? and if so, how does it make its way inside and how do I check to make sure thats the problem?

could it be driping in passed my windshield gasket some how or something? or is there other places I should be looking?

thanks in advance for the help guys

Ok guys....this is related to the thread so hopefully someone can shine some light on this for me....

72 plymouth duster

carpet was wet, ripped it out during resto, I have noticed since...while sitting outside, after it rains. I have a puddle of water on both the driver and passenger side floor boars and appears to be coming from under the dash some where, windows are up and are sealing tight agains the seals, the floors have been painted and a layer of dust has settled on top of the paint and I can see where water droplets washed away the dust and it looks like its dripping from the dash but I cannot see where water would be coming in at???

is this the wiper seals you speak of maybe giving me this problem? and if so, how does it make its way inside and how do I check to make sure thats the problem?

could it be driping in passed my windshield gasket some how or something? or is there other places I should be looking?

thanks in advance for the help guys
Make sure you cowl vent is not full of debris at the ends. If water cannot drain down the sides of the car it will fill the cowl and over flow through any worn seal, i.e. wiper seals and interior vent. The cowl/interior vent lip sits higher but if it is rusted through it will leak there as well. Most holes in the window edge would drain into the cowl (it has 3 there already)unless they are on the edges or top. My guess is the wiper seals unless you have rust through somewhere. Good luck.

I'm a slim fellow so I replaced mine without removing the cluster or glove box etc... It was about a 30-45 minute job. The bushings was painted the same color as the car and I didn't like that.

There are 2 tangs used to lo locate the window gasket that were cut into or out of the cowl. Shaped like \___/ . When that is bent up to create a tang it leaves a hole that size. The gasket and lots of sealant is supposed to seal it. Over time the sealant falls through.
This would be the last place to go. Attack the vent boxes and wiper pivots first and cross your fingers.
If you do take the windshield out, cut out some pieces of aluminum flashing ( coil stock) and cover those holes.

Make sure you cowl vent is not full of debris at the ends. If water cannot drain down the sides of the car it will fill the cowl and over flow through any worn seal, i.e. wiper seals and interior vent. The cowl/interior vent lip sits higher but if it is rusted through it will leak there as well. Most holes in the window edge would drain into the cowl (it has 3 there already)unless they are on the edges or top. My guess is the wiper seals unless you have rust through somewhere. Good luck.

where am I looking for debris at? and should i be looking for problem areas under the dash or under the hood or? I have not looked around real good with a flash light but i have looked through the vent in the cowl and not seen any debris and the car is a very solid car so i am doubting it being rust...so I am not sure exactly what to be looking for.....maybe some pictures guys?

sorry, not trying to trouble you guys. any and all help is appreciated,thanks

Got the same problem when the car is sitting on a incline (nose up) and it rains real hard. I have new wiper seals so don't think thats it and car has no rust and cleaned the cowl area real good before painting the car. Guess I'm going to have to set the car out next rain storm and lay under the dash and follow the leak or have some one run the hose on it while I look.

where am I looking for debris at? and should i be looking for problem areas under the dash or under the hood or? I have not looked around real good with a flash light but i have looked through the vent in the cowl and not seen any debris and the car is a very solid car so i am doubting it being rust...so I am not sure exactly what to be looking for.....maybe some pictures guys?

sorry, not trying to trouble you guys. any and all help is appreciated,thanks
After rereading your post, if you have not replaced your wiper seals yet that could be the problem.
I have my dash out right and will take pics and post in a bit.

After rereading your post, if you have not replaced your wiper seals yet that could be the problem.
I have my dash out right and will take pics and post in a bit.

Thanks for snaging some pics homecloned. that would be great.

These are some spots to check. My wiper pivots are out right now but I will get to those and show how I fixed it.

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

Thanks homecloned for the pictures.

When I get a chance to take a look at it ill scope it out and see if I can come to any conclusions and I will let everyone know!

I bought my 70 new. In 2 years I had a leak on my clutch foot. I cut a hole in the firewall, engine side- found oak leaves, in the cowl; blew and hosed it out that hole.
Still had the leak. In 87, put it indoors. Last year, repairing/replacing body parts-I found the drainage passages for the cowl, down by the front fenders/rockers.
All filled with leaves, at the bottom. When you lay under the care, you will see the inner metal, that is spot welded to the outers- has a convuluded twist. That is factory drain holes; full of crap. Clothes hanger and water from the cowl will clean, in hours.
Same with rear quarters, by the trunk extensions, and the rocker panels.
Clean the holes from underneath, and keep the air/water going from the top, until all the crap is out.

Only way to get all the leaves, pine needles, and misc. debris out of the otherwise unaccessible cowl plenum is to remove the fresh air plenum boxes hanging down from the underside, then stick your arm(s) up through the now open holes with whatever tools you need (scrapers, sponges, scotchbright pads, garden hose, air gun, etc.), and manually clean them out. Being a contortionist with skinny arms, able to stand on your head and endure pain, would really help.

Mine were so bad it took me three sunny days to do. When I started the pine needles were so thick I couldn't even tell there was a lip around the openings to keep the water from flowing right down into the interior.

Don't forget to unplug the drains, as noted above.

-
Back