wiring harness

-

426hemiduster

hemiduster
Reaction score
two steps forward, one step back. I had my 68 440 barracuda ready for paint[hot rod flat black] and thought I would take is around the block one more time before delivering it to the paint shop. With the engine running, I slammed the hood and smoke poured out from under the hood. An unfused electric fuel pump[not installed by me] smoked its 14 ga feed and damaged the main feed from the firewall, the ignition plug, firewall block and maybe more. Question, does anyone have experience with aftermarket wiring harnesses? Would I be better repairing the old one? I dont mind spending the money if it prevents a car fire!

Attachments

• bswitch.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 241
  • block.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 277
  • block ft.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 234
Spend the money and get the M&H harness sold by Year One. Best replacement available IMO. If you want a factory style harness.

I am not concerned about the car being "correct", or I wouldnt have replaced the 340 with a 440. I would like the best wiring solution. Are the non factory wiring kits superior? I have a duster that I put a hemi in many years ago that has factory wiring that has had no problems.

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 233
Ron Francis, i found an 18 circuit from Jegs that looks identical for $300. Thats what I'm wiring my 69 swinger with right now. There are concessions in that almost harness are not Mopar original and have a bow tie steering connector. There will always be some splices. Check out the RF its probably the best for the money. A lot of people dont realize they are driving a time bomb with a 40+ year old wiring harness. Good luck

X3

The M&H harness, through YO, was a perfect fit, correct wire colors with all the proper connectors. They also offer a modified one in most cases for updated Alt/ reg and Chrysler Electronic ignition. I have purchased both, but next time I would by the stock replacement and mod it myself. Not that I have any real complaints with the modded harness.

FWIW, I used the M&H harnesses in the 64ragtop. Fit like a glove and worked fine!

BC

I don't have any experience with aftermarket harness. I will point out the lesson learned here...
Added equipment like that fuel pump should not have been added to the cars original wiring. If you buy an exact replacement of the original harness you will still need to do the add ons properly or the same thing could happen again.

^^^ Exactly.

Start by reading this MAD article which points out some very bad problems with the very core of the original harness strategy

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

then read about headlight relays..........

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml

There are lots of choices on aftermarket harnesses, some of them more complete and way more expensive than others.

The MAIN thing is to fix the basic problems pointed out in the MAD article, to get EVERYTHING fused and protected, and ..... to solve voltage drop issues so that loads get proper voltage.

This means relays "for some stuff."

I used an underhood relay box out of a junk Voyager

http://image.fbt.se/global/images/i...tp/195/bil/lgnr/5374(1).jpg&width=370&height=

but you could mount them in the interior so long as the wire into the engine bay is large enough

Bussman makes the same types of enclosure which you can configure many different ways

http://www.waytekwire.com/images/items/46343FL.gif

I've heard that M&H is very good at working with the customer and making modifications to their harnesses per request. Eventually, I plan on contacting them to see if they will modify one of their stock harnesses with the upgrades listed in the above article.

I used all new M&H harnesses on my Challenger and haven't had any issues...it is a stock restoration with no extras added on however.

So rather than ubtangle the spaghetti mess I have, I've decided to spring for a new harness for the 66 dart I'm doing. The motor is a 318 out of a 79 aspen. Mild build. .030 over, mild cam, Edelbrock aluminum intake and an AVS 600. That being said, I have the distributor from the motor, I have the pertronix electronic upgrade. Di I get the stock harness? What do I have to do to modify the harness for the pertronix? I'm not planning on running an orange box or ballast resistor. Should I? I think I read it's redundant? any help is appreciated.
jim

FWIW, I used the M&H harnesses in the 64ragtop. Fit like a glove and worked fine!

BC

Hey 64ragtop. Did you have to modify for the vert switch or was it included in the harness?
Any other mods? did you go from the headlights to the taillights or just the engine/dash ?
Any input is appreciated

-
Back