Wiring turn signal brake lights

-

bryan Schaupp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone ran into this before. My drivers brake light and right turn signal not working

Regular lights work
Emergency flasher work on all three other corners
Brake light works passenger side

Put in new turn signal switch (heard that is sometimes problem)

I see in schematics it is separated somewhat not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Tried new flashers (unable to get the 536 units)

if anyone has suggestion please let me know

Thanks

Lets start with year, make, and model.
If you don't have one, go over to MyMopar and download a factory service manual, or "closest you can get". You may have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge, etc

If you have a 74 I can help you with a manual

If one brake is not working but that turn IS, it means the socket, bulb, filament and wire is intact to the TS switch

What year and model are you working with? I'd trace the power from turn signal switch connector back to the light socket. If there's no juice at the turn signal switch connector, you still have a problem with the switch.

If you don't have one, go over to MyMopar and download a factory service manual, or "closest you can get". You may have to settle for Plymouth vs Dodge, etc

WHY THIS IS important. Wire colors sometimes change over the years, and the earlier cars had a dash mount hazard switch, where the later cars the hazard function was built onto the TS switch in the column. And the column harness connector changed at some point

I have factory manual for valiant wiring. All seems good there. I bought sockets that have their own ground. It is 1967 Barracuda fastback. I put meter to plug for socket and get fluctuating reading (set at voltage DC) which seems like should be good. I will double check soct or use one from other side to see if by chance got bad socket.

Best regards,

Bryan

Sounds like a break in that wire or a ground issue, unless that tail light is working, which would indicate the socket is grounded..
Hazard switch always has power, flip that on and see what happens at every lamp.
When there is a ground issue at a lamp socket the current will find another path - often throughthe instrument panel indicators.

This pamphlet explains how the turn signal and stop lamp, and hazard circuits work.
1967 Chrysler Imperial Electrical Accessory Circuit From the Master Technicians Service Conference Session 236

my explanation of the explanation
67 Barracuda Turn Signal Dielemma

Grounds are the #1 issue with most old cars. I run a dedicated ground wire to all my lights on all my collector cars and I never have any issues.

Hi Bryan, have you worked on the turn signal switch recently?

Grounds are the #1 issue with most old cars. I run a dedicated ground wire to all my lights on all my collector cars and I never have any issues.
I have read this and put extra grounds to make sure currently switch lamp from left to right to make sure nothing in socket

Ground your multimeter, turn on your hazards and stick the positive probe into each of the wires heading into that first junction box that your new turn signal switch plugs into and see if you get fluctuating charge from all of them at that point. If not you have a ground inside the column and your new switch.

PS if your fusible link is hotter than 25amps you may want to tune that down until you've fixed the problem.

I do get fluctuating charge reading. Which tells me it should be working. I moved assembly that works (right side) over and one on this side to right side and still drivers side not working and passenger works?????

did you check all four wires in the junction? I don't know what colors yours would be but I have dark green and brown to the back lights and light green and tan to the front and indicator lights in the dash. When I try all four I found fluctuating current in all but the dark green wire which told me that the short was in the column somewhere. I have a second harness junction inside the drivers side kicker panel on a 68. Again don't know what a 74 is like but that would be the next place to look but in that case you'll only have the rear lights dark green and brown in my case....

Thanks, have checked at junction will keep playing with it. may wait until switch over to stock dash to see if helps. Emergency flasher plug can go in 180 off not sure it it would cause problems or not? Has anyone had to switch around or ran into same problem?

-
Back