Wish me luck… (Zybar coating)

-

T-Fish

Reaction score
I took a chance and I coated my TTI headers with Zybar. The original ceramic coating was really looking like Hell, so I blasted them clean and sprayed them this afternoon.

57DCE613-A2EB-4476-966A-41B1B577E2F2.jpeg

D5BAC98F-BB07-4B05-9EF3-91E04FE42C6C.jpeg

Let us know how it works out. I have a set of slip joint headers I might try it on.

That's a great looking color. Is this a spray can deal or whut?

That's a great looking color. Is this a spray can deal or whut?

It comes in a can. They have three colors; silver, black, and bronze. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the cheapest spray gun they had ($15) and used that. I’ve never used a spray gun in my life! It applied incredibly well and very easy. I did miss a small spot (simply didn’t see it until I was done and the product was gone), but that’s the way it’s going to have to be.

It comes in a can. They have three colors; silver, black, and bronze. I went to Harbor Freight and bought the cheapest spray gun they had ($15) and used that. I’ve never used a spray gun in my life! It applied incredibly well and very easy. I did miss a small spot (simply didn’t see it until I was done and the product was gone), but that’s the way it’s going to have to be.
We all been there missing a spot or two and on a set of headers it's really hard to get it right.

It comes in a can. They have three colors; silver, black, and bronze. ...... until I was done and the product was gone

Your headers look a bit bronze, I assume thats the color you sprayed? And, one can is the coverage for a set of headers. One coat is all that's needed? Is there a certain temp it needs to cure at?

Your headers look a bit bronze, I assume thats the color you sprayed? And, one can is the coverage for a set of headers. One coat is all that's needed? Is there a certain temp it needs to cure at?

Correct, that is the color I went with. The cans come in few different sizes. I went with the 8oz can. They say that’s enough to do a set of long tube headers and that seems to be accurate from my experience. I sprayed it at 40psi (they recommend 30psi) and that probably worked to my benefit because it comes out a little thinner. I called them a few times with questions prior to doing this because I didn’t want to screw it up. I didn’t know if it would run or what. I’m his words (Tim is the man I talked to), a left right left right spray and you’re done. He said basically when the header changes color, that’s about enough to do the job. For curing, he said 5 days of air drying or 2 hours at 450° cures them. He did warn that with air drying, one should let the engine idle and get up to temperature as slow as possible to lessen chances of a flare-up in the spray. He said the baking method pretty much eliminates that worry.

Looked it up on Eastwood. It has a 395 day warranty so maybe it's a good product.

I googled for pics of Zycoat/Zybar headers after break-in and couldn't find any. All the reviews seem to say it has held up, just can't find any pics. That bronze is pretty!

-
Back