Witnessed a knarly rollover on the interstate

-

Dusteriffic

Stink finger
Reaction score
The wife and I were on the northbound I-5 just outside of San Diego yesterday afternoon and witnessed a Land Rover violently zig-zagging out of control across 4 lanes of busy 65-70mph traffic. After striking the concrete barrier between the north and south bound lanes, it ricocheted back into traffic (on two wheels). When the passenger side wheels touched down again, it rolled over and skidded to a stop on it's side. Man, that was some crazy **** to see. I got right on the phone to 911.

On the plus side, the Land Rover didn't strike any other vehicles (which was a frickin' miracle given the traffic density). Also, there were both a doctor and a paramedic in the traffic who stopped right away to help. Other motorists were able to pull the young driver (female, early 20's) out of the shattered sunroof. She appeared to be okay, just scared sh!tless.

was she still texting?

I overheard her explanation about how the vehicle got out of control and was highly suspect of her version of the facts. I feel she may have omitted the word "texting" from her rendition of what happened. Obviously I don't know for sure what she was doing before this happened, but being a parent that had two teenagers makes you aware of what bullsh!t smells like.

It's pretty amazing seeing what these more modern cars can handle in accidents. When you see it in person you think it's just insane but a lot of times the driver gets out ok. Now if that was an older car it would have been a much different story.

If "we" as a nation don't fix some of these problems with our driving, this is going to get much much worse

Agressive, bullying, "I'm first" driving, and no signals

Speeding in congested traffic, agressive lane switching

Tailgating

Running red lights

fiddling with coffee, text, hair dye, sex toys or slapping the kids and mixing cocktails.

The recent huge winter accident on the noose is a good example.

These people need those self-driving cars that supposedly are coming in a few years. Not that I'm in favor of them, but they might be a good thing for some people.

was she still texting?

Her cell phone was probably still in mid-sentence in her trembling hand when they pulled her out. It should have been the first thing the CHP asked for when they arrived on scene.
Although I don't need to hit the freeway on my daily work commute, I see people everyday texting as they're driving - and it usually means 1 second out of every 20 is eyes-on-the-road. A lot happens in those other 19 seconds.

It's pretty amazing seeing what these more modern cars can handle in accidents. When you see it in person you think it's just insane but a lot of times the driver gets out ok. Now if that was an older car it would have been a much different story.

Those must be pretty tough trucks. When it hit the center divide, it looked like a bomb went off...concrete chunks, plastic shrapnel & glass etc., flew everywhere. You can see some of it in the background.

Dude, I saw the same thing about 3 weeks ago on the 55 just north of the 5 in Tustin. Dude was going pretty fast in a Suburban/Yukon passing my lanes standstill traffic as we were exiting. The old bag in front of my stops WAY late and turns into his lane to avoid rearending the car in front of her. The guy sees this and then jerks wheel to left as he was almost on top of her when she cut out. He over corrects and now he's going right, then over corrects again going left and hits the cement center K-rail at about 90 degrees and it flips the SUV over about 4 times, 2 were completely in the air. It was the gnarliest accident I witnessed and I was right behind the b!tch who caused it the entire time. No collateral damage but the dude made it out with cuts and bruises. I called the license in about 5 minutes later when I got home and the police called me back the next day to follow up. Crazy thing was the old lady wasnt texting, her eyes never left the road, she just was so late on the brake it was dumbfounding. She saw what she caused and threw up her arms in the car like "OMG, what have I done?" be safe out there.

wow, I learn something new on fabo almost everyday.

I have never heard the word before so I had to look it up but I am still not getting it???

Urban dictionary says:

"knarly

A really skinny person, who happens to be un-naturally tall. Often all arms and legs.
Or, an animal or person consisting of patchy hair or fur.. possibly rabies.

Woah look at her she likes 6'1 shes knarly.
That cat is soo knarly! "

I have never heard the word before so I had to look it up but I am still not getting it???

Urban dictionary says:

"knarly

A really skinny person, who happens to be un-naturally tall. Often all arms and legs.

My dictionary says "adjective - slang - means difficult, bad or nasty. Also see gnarly"

You know it's a first world problem last Christmas my wife was waiting to turn into a side road in a turning lane. A young lady coming out of that side road was waiting for the traffic to clear, her phone rang it was in her hand bag on the rear seat.
She turned around reaching for the bag. She streached to get it and so she pushed with her feet. The result my wife in hospital for two weeks and fractured vertebra in her neck and my station wagon written off. Because she hit my car with that much force it pushed the car from its lane across two other lanes and slammed the car into the gutter.

actually it is older slang. I smiled when I saw it as I don't hear it much anymore. Pretty common in the 80's. see Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Urban dictionary says:

"knarly

With all of the electronic gadgets now days, it's amazing that there aren't more accidents.. :eek:ops:

Society as a whole should improve their driving. These electronic gadgets are making our driving worse and they don't get it... :???:

Then the government is going to step in and "save us from ourselves" and mandate the auto companies to make cars that drive themselves (I can't wait to see who the insurance companies blame when they crash in "auto-pilot mode"). :pale:

When the root cause of the problem is PEOPLE AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION! :???:

HELLO McFly... #-o

My grandpa had a saying from his day before cell phones, that fits so well in this situation, "WAKE UP AND DIE RIGHT"... :violent1:

Then some people want to fly... Most people can't handle driving in 2 dimensions, they do not need to tackle the third dimension... when they crash while texting and flying, they will fall out of the sky and die.... :banghead:

People in SUV's need to realize:

The taller your vehicle (and higher the center of gravity) - the easier it will tip/roll over...

And we'll be lucky if they only kill themselves and not people on the ground whose only crime was standing there looking up...

Exactly...

I don't want to have to walk around looking up all the time so they don't fall on me.... :banghead:

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a car.... :glasses7:

[ame]https://youtu.be/1ZXHsNqkDI4[/ame]

You know it's a first world problem last Christmas my wife was waiting to turn into a side road in a turning lane. A young lady coming out of that side road was waiting for the traffic to clear, her phone rang it was in her hand bag on the rear seat.
She turned around reaching for the bag. She streached to get it and so she pushed with her feet. The result my wife in hospital for two weeks and fractured vertebra in her neck and my station wagon written off. Because she hit my car with that much force it pushed the car from its lane across two other lanes and slammed the car into the gutter.

Holy ****.

-
Back