Wix is falling off my list of good filter brands

-
Reaction score
Picked up a Wix air filter for my daily driver '91 Dodge the other day. The box is printed up with the usual verbiage about how Wix is a great premium-quality filter, etc. The filter is inkstamped "MADE IN CHINA".

Nope, I won't have it. I haven't checked where Wix oil filters come from lately; some years ago I switched to Fleetguard. I put in a call to Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) and asked where their air filter for my car is made; answer came back "We make that filter in the United States". I shopped around for two minutes online, found a friendly price, and bought three of them to make the shipping worthwhile.

I'm not going to bother informing Wix they've lost a formerly loyal customer and evangelist; there's no point -- all I'd get back is scripted babble about quality assurance and ISO-certified facilities.

Sooner or later in a conversation like this, someone might say something like "Lots of good stuff comes from China. Iphones and Ipods and Macs are made in China." That's certainly true. What's also true is that there's rampant counterfeiting, corner-cutting, spec-ignoring, materials-cheapening, and all kinds of other cheating in Chinese manufacturing, especially in inexpensive, simple items that look pretty much alike from brand to brand. Like filters, for example. I want my engine to live a long and happy life, so…no Chinese "filters" for me, thanks.

Thanks for the tip Dan. It's frustrating to buy products made overseas especially China. I run into that daily in the tool business. I used to be proud to have mostly Made in USA tools on my truck but the industry has changed and even companies like OTC have switched to China for their manufacturing. It used to be made right up Interstate 35 in Owatonna, Mn. tmm

Thanks Dan and I'll also be watching that.
Chinese made items make me nervous because almost everything they make barely works right.
Not something I would like in a filter.

Thanks Dan. Lets us know when you find a suitable replacement brand, please.

Not going into some sort of Defend-mode or anything, but I really would've liked to see the internals of that Wix filter and a comparison Wix filter that was still made in the US.

Not going into some sort of Defend-mode or anything, but I really would've liked to see the internals of that Wix filter and a comparison Wix filter that was still made in the US.

But you would be missing the point. Like Dan described above, the quality control is simply not there. You may open one up and see a great specimen, but the next one?? It's a crap shoot.

The only QC that exists in China is when the U.S. Companies send their own QC personel directly to the factory to oversee the entire process. In other words, they need babysat. Some companies do this for an entire run of their product. Others send their people their for a short period of time in order to convey their wishes. Their risk is much higher.

They have slipped this one in on me also! I'll be looking myself. Thanks for the heads up!

Truth be told I'm not 100% sure where Amsoil filters are made....might be worth looking into though.

The only complete line of automotive and light truck oil filters still Made in USA!
Amsoil
Looks good to me!

Just checked what I have in the garage. No air filters.. For oil- my new Mopar brand filter for the Magnum is tagged Made in USA. Also have a Pure-One for the slant that I bought over a year ago, also made in USA.

anybody use Baldwin that's what I use in my diesel truck and was gonna try one on my dart soon

Have to ask...you have a cell phone? TV? DVD player? Fridge? Kinda foolish to boycott something because of where it is made now-a-days....hell, you no doubt started this on a outer from over seas...

The only complete line of automotive and light truck oil filters still Made in USA!
Amsoil
Looks good to me!

STP air filters (Auto Zone) and Purolator oil filters are still US-made. (I have both on my Dakota.) I recall Delco oil filters are (depending on PN) either US or Canadian.

Amsoil
Looks good to me!

Thats what I thought but didn't want to say it when i'm not sure. Just one more thing to add to the list of reasons I sell Amsoil.

I'm going to make some enemies if I use my usual spelling of amsoil, with the c and the s before the A (not necessarily in that order). That's not my intent; I don't have anything against most of those who sell it -- my beef is with those who manufacture the products and the claims used to promote them.

I have my opinions and I try to make damn sure they're very solidly grounded in facts and science, and I'm not going to put any --amsoil products in, on, or around any of my cars.

the sad part is that those "made in USA" products are not actually made in the USA .... just shipped in bulk from china and packaged in the USA. Which make up 50% of the product which makes it classified as "Made in the USA"

I know that happens in Canada so i would not be surprised if it happens in the USA

I'm going to make some enemies if I use my usual spelling of amsoil, with the c and the s before the A (not necessarily in that order). That's not my intent; I don't have anything against most of those who sell it -- my beef is with those who manufacture the products and the claims used to promote them.

I have my opinions and I try to make damn sure they're very solidly grounded in facts and science, and I'm not going to put any --amsoil products in, on, or around any of my cars.

To each their own. I sell the products because I believe in them and use them in everything I own. If I saw something better I would start using that. Being an AMSOIL dealing is not my full time job, I buy enough on my own to make it work my money to be a dealer.

the sad part is that those "made in USA" products are not actually made in the USA .... just shipped in bulk from china and packaged in the USA. Which make up 50% of the product which makes it classified as "Made in the USA"

I know that happens in Canada so i would not be surprised if it happens in the USA

Yeah I loved working on my Harley today and seeing made in Mexico on the wiring harness and other parts.

just checked Baldwin b2 says made in usa on it

unfortunately , over half the new parts on my charger were made in china, mexico, Indonesia , Africa ......

-
Back