wont start but turns over strong???

-

65cudalover

Reaction score
my 65 Barracuda is driving me nuts, it all of a sudden wont start? Normally its three pumps on gas pedal and starts right up! Yesterday went to go after just filling up with gas Friday night and it would not start at all! Just turns over and try's to go but not start. I thought I had flooded 4bbl carb, so let it sit for 15 minutes and tried again but no go. Went to get some starter spray and tried it and no help either! Finally battery just gave up and that was it. I took battery to work with me at the golf course this am and recharged it, tried again to get her going this afternoon for a cruise, no go again! I am boggled for sure and put her up for sale as I am so depressed! I spent so much time and money on her and just something simple is blowing my mind! It had a mopar electronic ignition upgrade kit, simple set up and as I said its turning over strong, I must take battery again to work in am to recharge it once more. I am now frustrated beyond statement as not knowing what to check next. All wires are looking good and connected. Where do I go next, it is something simple yes??? Help me please....

65 Cudalover always but frustrated for now!

Some obvious stuff to maybe start with...All have hit me over the years:

Bulk Head Connectors tight?
Bad Coil/Coil wire?
Is it getting spark?
Is she getting fuel? Bad fuel Pump?

Just a thought...

Hope you get her sorted out quickly.

Pat

Do I HAVE to beat the dead horse, LOL?

Compression, spark, and fuel.

Since you are having recurring trouble, you should get "set up" for this. Get a spark tester from the auto store, and a bag of clip leads from Radio Shack (and a multimeter)

Hook up your spark tester, "hang" it so you can see it through the hood gap and crank the engine USING THE KEY.

...I am now frustrated beyond statement as not knowing what to check next. ...
You will be eternally frustrated with cars without a few simple tools that cost <$10 total. To repeat and add to above, I carry in all my gas cars: in-line spark tester, jumper wires, multi-meter, starter fluid. In my classic cars, I also carry a backup spark box, electric fuel pump, and carburetor (ones w/ EFI). This has made my life simple and gotten me back on the road or out of the garage quickly. In my dumF kid days, I was helpless and often frustrated, and cars in the 70-80's were more problematic, IMHO.

ok replaced the coil, getting spark (I think), getting fuel, smell the gas no issue, just wont start! Its getting very frustrating! I am somewhat boggled as again a few days ago went out filled up with gas no issues no warning just now no go! Could it be the orange box on the electronic ignition upgrade??? I never had issues with one before on my other Barracuda, but one never knows! I may just have to look for a place to send her out to, anyone know good place here in Wheeling, Mount Prospect, Il.???

ok replaced the coil, getting spark (I think), getting fuel,

So instead of TESTING, you decided to throw parts at it? What exactly do you mean "think" you have spark. Don't "think" CHECK it

Get a spark tester from the auto store, and a bag of clip leads from Radio Shack (and a multimeter)

Hook up your spark tester, "hang" it so you can see it through the hood gap and crank the engine USING THE KEY.

There's a very GOOD reason why I posted this. You might be alone and need to test for a good spark.

"USING THE KEY"

The reason for that statement is, there are two ignition power paths

When the key is in the "run" position, known as IGN1, power comes from the ign switch, through the bulkhead connector, and to the "switch side" of the ballast resistor, and branches off and feeds the regulator and alternator field.

THIS IS IMPORTANT

Because in "start" the above path is DEAD. The ONLY source of power to the ignition when twisting the key to "start" is what's called "IGN2" or the ballast bypass circuit. This power comes from the ignition switch on a separate contact, through the bulkhead, and to the COIL PLUS end of the ballast resistor

THIS MEANS that if this circuit is "dead" (broken) you will not have spark in "start."

YOU WANT TO CHECK SPARK right at the coil tower, at first, in order to eliminate troubles introduced by such things as a bad rotor or cap, bad coil wire, or bad plug wires

So I'll REPEAT. "Rig" your spark tester right at the coil tower, so you can see it through the hood gap, and then crank the engine USING THE KEY.

You are hoping for a nice fat blue spark at least 3/8 and typically 1/2" long

Be absolutely CERTAIN that the ECU is GROUNDED. Remove the box, scrape it and the firewall clean, and remount using star washers.

Remove the distributor connector, the ECU connector, and the ballast connectors, and inspect them visually for damage or corrosion. "Work" them in/ out several times to scrub them clean and to "feel" for tightness.

If you do NOT have spark AT THE COIL and AGAIN check this FIRST AT THE COIL

Troubles could be:

1--no power or low power (12v) to the system

Use a meter or test light on coil positive. When cranking, voltage at coil + should be "same as battery" WHEN USING THE KEY. You can "try" using a clip lead from coil positive to a battery source. Do not leave this hooked up any longer than needed to test, less than a minute. Coil will be damaged.

2--distributor gap or problems with pickup or reluctor in distributor, or bad connection at the distributor connector.

Check reluctor/ pickup for rust/ debri or strike damage. CHECK the reluctor gap with a .008" (inches not metric) BRASS feeler gauge. (nonmagnetic.) O'Reallys had these

3--no ground on the box

Remove the box, scrape the firewall and box clean and reinstall using star lock washers

4--poor connection at the ECU connector

Inspect, work in/ out. Use judgement

5--bad ECU

Save for about last

6--bad ballast resistor

Easy to check. Use your ohmeter with connectors pulled off. Should be a very low resistance

sounds like what happened to my car. Does it have a ballast resistor? if so replace that and try it

I ended up finding a very nice place one mile from my home that specializes in working on old cars. in fact when I went there they had several cool cars in the bay including a rare chevy up on the lift. So I used my AAA towing (free less than a mile from my house) and its getting done. I just don't have time as it is the jewish high holidays today and I am praying hard in Temple! So one will be said to my baby the cuda for sure! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff! I do appreciate your guys help and will let you know what it was that shut me down, then was replaced to put me back out on the road hopefully for the show this weekend!

65Cudalover

sounds like what happened to my car. Does it have a ballast resistor? if so replace that and try it

That's what I was just going to suggest. I started the Valiant this morning, let it run for a bit, put it in reverse and it died. Wouldn't start for the life of me. Pulled a known working one from another car, swapped it over, started right up. Looked at the old one and it had burned right through.

I ended up finding a very nice place one mile from my home that specializes in working on old cars. in fact when I went there they had several cool cars in the bay including a rare chevy up on the lift. So I used my AAA towing (free less than a mile from my house) and its getting done. I just don't have time as it is the jewish high holidays today and I am praying hard in Temple! So one will be said to my baby the cuda for sure! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff! I do appreciate your guys help and will let you know what it was that shut me down, then was replaced to put me back out on the road hopefully for the show this weekend!

65Cudalover

Shana Tova

Shana Tovah to all my Jewish friends out there Happy New year!! Here is the simplicity of repair on the Barracuda the orange box that is part of the Mopar electrical kit converting it from a points car to a electronic ignition (basic) system was bad. Replaced with a new one and varoom varoom she is back on the road again! I found a very nice group of guys around the corner from me who love to work on old cars. They had it figured out and running again in half a day! In fact their shop is filled with old cars A cool T bird, some very neat Chevy Corsairs (rare convertible one). The guys love to work on cool old cars and now are my go to people when I need some true help! Less than 1 Mile from my house, gotta love that! They hang out on Saturday night at the train stop old car night sponsored by the Blues Brothers Joint!! Home of the Blues Brothers Mobile!! I will now make sure down the road I get another one of those boxes as a back up, next time I go to a show/swap meet where mopar stuff is out for sale, or just buy a new one from Jegs or Summit! Everytime stuff happens we learn something and keep it in the bank!

65Cudalover and now back in operation and Love again!!

It was so nice out cruising to the car show today in Bartlett, Illinois. A small crowd but several cool cars including a 70 Roadrunner, another 72 Cuda, 70 Satellite and a early 50's Chrysler. Much fun for the day even won a nice shirt for my wife a true White Sox Fan! My 65 Formula S got lots of cool looks as many never seen such a huge piece of glass and others told me about when they had one or knew someone who did! One guy told me he knew the gentleman who built Hemi Under Glass!! one of the most famous early A body ever to run down the quarter mile! Anyway my baby started easy and run like a big boy toy it is!!

65 Cudalover

... the orange box that is part of the Mopar electrical kit converting it from a points car to a electronic ignition (basic) system was bad. Replaced with a new one and varoom varoom she is back on the road again! ...
That won't make the day for one of our members who claims the Mopar ECU's are extremely reliable, and he says guys like me who use GM HEI modules are sacrilegious. Personally, I don't believe most ECU's actually fail. They just lose their ground, which is fixed when you attach a new ECU (i.e. you could have just taken off the old one and re-installed it). Why people rely on a maybe rusty sheet metal screw is beyond me. Just because Ma Mopar designed that doesn't make it smart.

-
Back