words used incorrectly in the car world

-
Most over used word is Restored. Restored is to put back to original

The word I see used incorrectly most often when it comes to cars is

Investment

LOL

FWIW N02 is nitrogen dioxide

Nitrous Oxide is N20

Nitrous Oxide Systems is the "Noss" from the product placement in the Fast and the Furious movie, I never heard anyone call it that before that movie came out. To be honest I haven't heard anyone call nitrous "noss" for years.

doh!

Hubcap : Covers only the centre register of the wheel , where the lug nuts reside ;

Wheel Cover : Covers the entire wheel , leaving only a bit of the outer edge exposed .

Valve Cover : It's either a Cam Cover ( OHC ) or a Rocker Arm Cover .

Many new(er) U.S. vehicles have an Expansion Tank instead of the old standby Overflow Tank .
The biggest difference is that an Expansion Tank is pressurised ( see that pressure cap ? don't open that mother when it's under pressure ! )
whereas an Overflow Tank is just that ; it collects the expanded coolant , but is not pressurised .

Oh and pissers for windsheild washers. dizzy, juice box for battery. tires called shoes. trunk lid or deck lid? vent or wing windows?

do people misspelling grille and chassis count?

When Mopar guys use the term Posi. It's done all the time. Posi-traction was the Chevy limited slip, the proper term is Sure Grip.

*gets of self righteous soap box*

I'm completely the opposite, and here's why.

Let's take Spicer/ Dana for example. THE VERY SAME Spicer built "limited slip traction improving component" seems to have to have a different name if it's a Mopar, a Ferd, a Corn National Interbinder, or possibly a Studebaker or Jeep.

"Sure Grip" is NOT a technical name. It's a commercial buzz-word invented by Chrysler for their own product.

Do you really think your Fiat/ Chrysler has a "sure grip?"

On the other hand, there's all kinds of slang over the years for just about every hobby.

You want to get me in a really bad mood? Engage me in a conversation over amateur radio, and start "talkin CB trash."

"We'll be on the side." (on the side of WHAT

"Switch to the "upper side" (It's LOWER SIDEBAND, or UPPER SIDEBAND)

"Do ya gotta copy?" "Do ya gotta good copy on me?" (Turns off power switch, does something else)

"Whuts yer personal?" "Whut's yer FIRST personal?" (My personal is probably none of your business, but if you really have to know, it's about X inches)

"Yer hittin me with x pounds." (Ok, "we" are on an FM repeater, and what "we" are receiving IS the repeater, so "I" am not "hittin you" with anything at all)

But I digress.

There is LOTS of regional slang over the years. Years ago, a "pot" was a carb. Haven't heard that since I was a kid.

I don't know when "tranny" became popular, is this part of gay rights?

Overuse of the term 'barn find' and now you see 'true barn find.'

'Ragtop.' Just say 'convertible.'

How about motor vs engine?

Yep. That was the first one that came to mind when I say the title of the thread.
"Motors" are electric. "Engines" are powered by a combustible fuel source.

"Gas Engine", "Diesel Engine", "jet engine", "rocket engine", "turbine engine", etc.

"Search engine" is a misnomer that is used daily, unless you have one that is powered by a combustible. lmao...

Minutia to follow. lol

-
Back