Workbench

-

devo

Reaction score
Hi guys im not sure if this has been asked before but I need some ideas on building a new work bench - workstation setup.The area is the back wall of the garage I only have use of one wall in front of the two chryslers, the area across is 6.5 meters ,was thinking of putting corrugated iron for the back wall
so when grinding,welding less fires kind of thing,their is a fire wall down left side and concrete on the other which will go through to my small bar.Have seen some of the flash kitsets when scanning the net however just think they are too pricy for me.Any thoughts any pics of youre own set ups perhaps would be a huge inspiration,
Cheers
DaveO

i built them elbow high (for my height)
so that, I could lean on the bench, but
also high enough ,
that could store engines, on stands, under the bench.
my walls are already metal (a 40' section of DC-10)
also built the bench legs into the wall, less to trip over...
notched the laminated top to fit tight against the wall

rrr_zps76f30194.jpg

55_zps1e604242.jpg

009_zps7b25ec4d.jpg

Since i'm in there often
made a break area for coffee pot, mini frig, and small mico-wave

999_zps189a88f2.jpg

012-1_zps8e9f4c94.jpg

Thats pretty cool alright

if you can find some old solid core doors w/o a window in them, they make excellent table tops, you can build the legs out of any mat`l you like .

A workbench that's too low is a VERY easy mistake to make. "Might even pay" to block up a scrap of plywood, etc, and just "play" for 1/2 hour

As old as I am and my back as it is, I get no good out of low benches

67 dart,i no what you mean im not a tall bloke but most of my jobs have been standing at a bench for 12hrs a day slashing fish up with a knife so i no what ya mean about a sore back.Ill run this by ya ive just found in my girlfriends barn a heap of old tec drawing tables from a high school metal legs and frames hard thick table tops that can be tilted you got me?Theirs about 8 or so im thinkin line them all up together fold up a steel top,you could even weld hinges on the legs for cupboard doors,I think this maybe the cheapest easier option perfect hight for me and width what do ya reckon?

67 dart,i no what you mean im not a tall bloke but most of my jobs have been standing at a bench for 12hrs a day slashing fish up with a knife so i no what ya mean about a sore back.Ill run this by ya ive just found in my girlfriends barn a heap of old tec drawing tables from a high school metal legs and frames hard thick table tops that can be tilted you got me?Theirs about 8 or so im thinkin line them all up together fold up a steel top,you could even weld hinges on the legs for cupboard doors,I think this maybe the cheapest easier option perfect hight for me and width what do ya reckon?

Easy to clean, just tip and wipe.

i built them elbow high (for my height)
so that, I could lean on the bench, but
also high enough ,
that could store engines, on stands, under the bench.
my walls are already metal (a 40' section of DC-10)
also built the bench legs into the wall, less to trip over...
notched the laminated top to fit tight against the wall

rrr_zps76f30194.jpg

55_zps1e604242.jpg

009_zps7b25ec4d.jpg

Since i'm in there often
made a break area for coffee pot, mini frig, and small mico-wave

999_zps189a88f2.jpg

012-1_zps8e9f4c94.jpg

This has to be darn near the coolest thing I've seen.

I used Lista cabinets as a base then covered with an oak top. That gives me a really sturdy workbench surface along one wall of my shop.

Attachments

• lista.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 622
That is nice Andy,looks expensive tho mate thats what my dream garage would look like,yeah Revhendo,i have plans for a small bar just off the side of the garage thats 4 metres square,should be plenty of room.

an airplane fuselage for a garage!!, now that is thinking outside the box, I love it!
Plus 1
would love to find one around locally, but knowing our local council they would not give it a permit

an airplane fuselage for a garage!!, now that is thinking outside the box, I love it!!

'Ell I didn't notice, I thought it was a "Quanset Hut"

Prolly not too many aircraft are wide enough to be of great use. There HAS been some "individuals" who've made some sort of living quarters out of 'em

ss-120712-airplane-home-02.ss_full-640x426.jpg

A single workbench height would never suit me. Standing workbench is 42 inches high and substantial enough to support drill press, 10" diameter bench grinder, vise, most anything. I do have 8 inch high plywood box to place and step up onto when needed. The sitting workstations are standard 30 inches high.
A back wall that separates basement from crawl space that looks like wood paneling is actually painted steel wall from above ground swimming pool. It's not where I throw sparks but I could.

Attachments

• car in bsement Jackies b-day 2015 resized.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 548
One word: TheGarageJournal.com.

You'll find everything you could possibly want to dress up your shop and garage. It has over 100,000 members worldwide and is an easy place to get lost in for a few hours. Have fun!!!

I used 2, 4X8 1/2 thick sheets of plywood cut in half. Used tow as the table surface. 1 for the backboard. Cut the other up for table a brace and doors. The legs are 4X4's cut to height. Table height, 36 inches. Nailed and screwed together. Aluminum sheet across the top for a non pourious & harder surface. Held down with brads.

That sounds exactly the same as my fathers bench he just built a wee while back rumblefish

I built my benches out of 50mmx50mm and 30mmx30mm square tube. Its a bout 2.2mtr x 3.6mtr with a pull out bench on wheels with a 10mm steel top plate. It neatly slides under the side bench for storing. I also made the wall shelving. One is 400mm deep and the other is 300mm deep, this allows me to open the passenger car door wide enough to get out and not damage the paint work on the car.

This was my first ever time for welding and pleased it went so well.

Cheers

I used old warehouse racking that I cut down to the height I wanted with a piece of 3/4 in plywood on top. Cheap and works great!!

A workbench that's too low is a VERY easy mistake to make. "Might even pay" to block up a scrap of plywood, etc, and just "play" for 1/2 hour

As old as I am and my back as it is, I get no good out of low benches

Round of applause for this; Hell I'm 30 and I cant deal with a low bench anymore when I'm 50? lol.... Take the time to find the height that works best for your posture and back.

Here's what I used....

Bought 5 1/2 sections of pallet racks off CL for $750, sold off 4 complete sections for $200 a piece and saved the 1 1/2 sections for myself! Want the bench higher, raise the crossbars!! Lower?? Lower them!! Motors and tool boxes fit under, and they're strong enough to land a helicopter on them!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 383
I use the pallet racks also for storage. Super sturdy stuff and not too expensive if you look around a bit. I found most of mine at surplus stores. It will easily hold a row of engine blocks or stacks of cylinder heads.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 357
-
Back