Worthless!!!!

-

triggerjay

Reaction score
I bought a set of wheel cylinder rebuild kits, Brakebest Part # WCK3608. Just tried to bleed the brakes, and blew off both end caps on the wheel cylinder, and have brake fluid bypassing the new internal seals. Guess I will go and buy the new wheel cylinders. I lightly honed the old ones before installing the rebuild kit..... just my $.02

Triggerjay

I've never had any luck rebuilding them. Always better to buy new ones.

Hope no offense is taken but I cant understand why anyone would ever rebuild a wheel cylinder when you can buy them new for around $8 to $10 bucks. Check with your local auto parts stores, I think mine were $8.95 each. Good luck.

Where? I can buy the rears for around $10, but the fronts are about $38.00 ea at oreilly's...as far as the rebuild kits, I guess you get what you pay for!

Triggerjay

I have had really good luck in the past with wheel cyl kits, but in the last 10 years the price for wheel cyl's had dropped like they said , that I will probably never rebuild one again. They are so cheap, you can't go wrong.

The anal retentive Mopar enthusiasts like to keep `em (the original wheel cylinders)for their correct part numbers and so they don`t have any inferior Chinese brake cylinders with incorrect sized bleeder valves, etc.. on their cars. In their defense, you can`t beat some of the original parts compared to what`s out there now! Where will these new parts be in 30- 40 years?

Are these kits from Napa..? Have had good luck so far with rebuilding , but have`nt done one in a couple of years...?

The reason they didnt seal was my fault. I disassembeled them again, and found I had pushed the piston seal on one side in too far.. farther than where the brake line comes into the cylinder. So when I pressed the brake pedal, trying to bleed them, the fluid was going between the piston and endcap, instead of being between the pistons! Getting sooooo close to having the car on the road, and got into too much of a hurry.

Triggerjay

See, we still car rebuild stuff if we feel like it. lol I just bought some caliper seals and boots for my disks only because I wanted them done 'now' and no one had them in stock. Turns out I will order the rebuilt calipers for 14.99 each because both pistons were screwed, rusted on one which was metal, and pitted on the composite one. 2.99 for the seals vs. 14.99 done with new hardware.

Suregrip391 said:
Hope no offense is taken but I cant understand why anyone would ever rebuild a wheel cylinder when you can buy them new for around $8 to $10 bucks. Check with your local auto parts stores, I think mine were $8.95 each. Good luck.
I paid $9.00 each from NAPA, for my 1973 Dart Sport.

Suregrip391 said:
yeah i dont get it either. my local auto class was working on a fury with 10in drums all around and they rebuild the wheel cyl. too i didnt get it a kit is like 3-4 bucks but a new one is 8 or so, and if anything they will fail or something will go wrong, o well i tried telling the teacher that the price was only a little differnt for mine in my cuda and he was like well the price would be different, will 9in vs 10in not a big price difference, hell i had to help them get the cyl. off because non of them could figure it out luckly i just did my cuda :toothy7:

I'd only rebuild wheel cylinders if the cylinders were absolutely pristine with no pitting. I have yet to see any that were that way when I took them apart. Calipers? As long as the pistons arent messed up, why not rebuild them its pretty easy.

-
Back