Would you buy a flood damaged classic car?

-
It's a auto auction....and i buy cars from that company......that car will bring good money, it will be NO bargain price I can guarantee you that!

For the right money - speaking for myself - I would absolutely buy it. Then, in my opinion, it would need to be stripped bare and dipped. Like others have said - it was probably salt water. It will be everywhere. Only way to completely eliminate it is chemical dipping. Of course - then the dipping needs to be done properly. If they are not rinsed properly and thoroughly - you end up worse than before. Of course, now the opinions will come out that dipping is bad due to bad experiences. This is why you need to make sure it is rinsed properly and thoroughly. But in my opinion - its the only way to get rid of all the salt.

Last edited:
It's a auto auction....and i buy cars from that company......that car will bring good money, it will be NO bargain price I can guarantee you that!
You must be a dealer, salvage yard or have a licensed broker to bid on it, as IAA only has public auctions in a couple states. That car will do at least 8 grand, not to mention the auction fees, internet bidding fees, and it has to be paid and removed within 72 hours. If not, they hit you with daily storage fees.
That car was deep in at least brine water from the staining I see, so count on cylinders being pitted, not only connectors, but the copper inside the wiring being Black far away from the connectors. If they even tried to start it, it could have bent rods. Take it from someone who did this work every day.
I was recently trying to get a Duster for drivetrain and interior parts for my 70, and wrecked, hacked cars were doing well over 5 grand. They are showing that insurance had a value over 30 grand on that Demon, they will not release it cheaply. I hope this helps

You must be a dealer, salvage yard or have a licensed broker to bid on it, as IAA only has public auctions in a couple states. That car will do at least 8 grand, not to mention the auction fees, internet bidding fees, and it has to be paid and removed within 72 hours. If not, they hit you with daily storage fees.
That car was deep in at least brine water from the staining I see, so count on cylinders being pitted, not only connectors, but the copper inside the wiring being Black far away from the connectors. If they even tried to start it, it could have bent rods. Take it from someone who did this work every day.
I was recently trying to get a Duster for drivetrain and interior parts for my 70, and wrecked, hacked cars were doing well over 5 grand. They are showing that insurance had a value over 30 grand on that Demon, they will not release it cheaply. I hope this helps

The bidding just opened on it today - already at $4,525 and runs through next week. If you bid through a membership with SCA you don't have to have a dealers license according to them, so anyone can bid. With the limited amount of time to try and look at it and with so much unknown I am more inclined to pass, especially if it starts to approach the $8-10k mark. It just wouldn't be worth it as it approaches that price.

The bidding just opened on it today - already at $4,525 and runs through next week. If you bid through a membership with SCA you don't have to have a dealers license according to them, so anyone can bid. With the limited amount of time to try and look at it and with so much unknown I am more inclined to pass, especially if it starts to approach the $8-10k mark. It just wouldn't be worth it as it approaches that price.
I saw, it was on my watch list. It was removed from the sale, so either the original owner bought it back, or something was wrong in the documents, and it will be reauctioned when straightened out. For someone who knows EXACTLY what to do with a flood car, it could be worth it, if it only gets to the 8 grand area, but the insurance is probably going to hold out for more. Also, every day it sits in that hot Texas sun, the mold, rust, bacteria’s multiply drastically. Chances are it will be far too expensive for a car that will always have a branded title.

I would say 99% of the flooding in Harvey was Freshwater. (unless it was down in rockport/port aransas area) There really wasn't tidal surge in the Houston area and further east. It was the 50" of rain that got us. I had the first panic attack of my life when the water got a few feet from my foundation, but luckily we didn't take any damage. Several wealthy areas got flooded because they had to open a spill gate on a reservoir that was almost breached and the main bayou through the city flooded. Lots of expensive cars went under water.

After stripping it down to just the shell, put 2 large holes in the bottom of the rocker panels then flush the entire body from the roof down through the pillars to the rockers to the frame rails every nook and cranny. Same for the dash , cowl , doors , hood and trunk lid .
Then dry everything and spray inside the rockers and pilers and other nooks and crannies with WD 40 or Z Bart . Now your ready to rebuild the body .

All soft parts will need to be replaced . Wiring should be replaced . Then on to the rest of the systems rebuild or replace everything from the I.P. to the bumpers.

This will be a major project !

-
Back