would you put this on your 440

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking to put a new fluid crank pulley on the 440 in the Duster. I was looking at this one. is this a good one or would you go with a different one. It is on a 76 engine with a cast crank. It now has one of the factory bullet types on it now. part # 3830482. let me know what you think. It will be strictly street, no racing. someone said you cant put a fluid on an external balanced engine. if not what about the 200-1128 from the 440 source. I want one with some timing marks on it too.

Prw 2544001 Fluidgel Black 7.25" Od Damper For Mopar 383-440 1958-79

Bill,

You'll probably get more responses if you put links to the ones you are asking about, rather than just a brand and part number. I don't have experience with either. I bought a fluid dampened for mine, but I haven't installed it yet and mine's a forged crank so wouldn't be useful info for you anyway.

Bump for you.

Bill,

You'll probably get more responses if you put links to the ones you are asking about, rather than just a brand and part number. I don't have experience with either. I bought a fluid dampened for mine, but I haven't installed it yet and mine's a forged crank so wouldn't be useful info for you anyway.

Bump for you.

just got around to this post. mine is a forged set up too.----bob

I don't know how to put links Brad. I guess I am going to have to call Summit or a machine shop. Thanks

I don't know how to put links Brad. I guess I am going to have to call Summit or a machine shop. Thanks

highlight the link in the browser, hit control + C and then click in a reply box, hit control + V and there you go

Bill, I am not familiar with that part. Here's what I found doing a quick search

"External balance applications feature a removable hub in order to accurately blueprint the engine and balance the assembly. These products are available in black epozy or polished steel with an epozy clear coat."

Sounds like it still needs balanced to your rotating assy. Not just a install and go.
Found it here

https://www.rebelperformance.com/pr...0-sfi-rated-fluidgeltm-7-25-damper-black.html

Dubob, that is the one I had planned on putting on but they say it will not work for an external balanced engine. They tell me that you cannot put a fluid damper on a external balanced engine.. I know for a fact that it has the 3830482 factory damper on it as I looked it up on 440 source website. It states that the bullet type balancer is strickly for an external balanced engine with a cast crank. I had this engine sent out back in 2002 and had it bored .030. We used the same crank that was in it. He put Keith Black flat top pistons in it and all new parts. It has the 509/292 purple cam in it. The engine was not balanced unless he done it without my knowledge. So if it came with a cast crank from the factory, it has one in it now. I don't imagine that it is possible to run that factory damper on an internal engine without it rattling your teeth the higher you get the rpm's. It runs as smooth as a baby's *** once it gets going.

From my limited experience, the Fluidamper has a fluid or gel inside that evenly distributes the weight. The externally balance dampers and flywheels are not neutral balanced, but rather, balanced installed on the crank to compensate for a non-internally balanced rotating assembly. I would have to say "no" to using one unless the manufacturer tells you different.

-
Back