WOW!! am i out of touch w/prices

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
So I got on the computer to check out prices on super stock leaf springs. Holy **** ! am I out of touch with the pricing of things. Its been awhile since I needed to but new leaf springs. The last time I bought any you could buy them as a pair. The prices I found ranged from $113.00 each to 150.00 each. That's per side. The last time I bought SS leaf springs that was the price range for a pair. Its crazy. Im going to have well over a $1000 just in the rear/ springs/ brakes. Im not that old, late 40s I cant imagine what I will cost in the future for someone like my nephew. I try to do as much work on my car my self. With my lower spine being bad its getting harder. I cant imagine paying someone to do the work on top of the parts prices.

Go talk with your local dodge dealership parts dept, might be able to get them a little cheaper and no freight.

There is a spring shop in Harrisburg, I bet they can make what you want. It is on Cameron Street, Stanley Spring maybe?

And when these cars were new, $10,000 a year was a good living, a movie ticket was fifty cents and a nice house in a nice neighborhood was forty grand.
Those springs are cheap

I found them;

stanley springs.JPG

And when these cars were new, $10,000 a year was a good living, a movie ticket was fifty cents and a nice house in a nice neighborhood was forty grand.
Those springs are cheap
Agreed fully, Tony.
Roughly take prices, wages, etc. of the late '60s and multiply them by 10 and you are about there...........

Like yourself , I , too , was appalled at the prices of springs and that was 15 years . My friend wanted to replace his springs in his Barracuda convertible . MP wanted $250 for a pair plus shipping . I sent him to Woodwards Spring in Brockton , Mass . $150 per pair installed . I had a '67, 426 Hemi that needed freshening . PK Machine quoted me $10,000 back in 2000 . Mopar people have been ripped off for years .

It will be better product and quality using the local spring places. You can also have them customize them if needed, and it keeps your money local. Most of the catalog springs are cheap junk.

prices!!??? ha..... my retirement income is bout what I made in mid 70's!! and everythng I buy now, is at TODAY'S prices!! glad the garden did well this year!!!! ha

Idk about the SS springs but i bought a pair of MP XHD springs for my challenger back in the early 2000's. I don't think the prices have climbed much since then. i know they were a little over $200 then. But, pure junk. Mexican made. Are the MP springs still made south of the border?

@cawley Have you checked intake manifold pricing recently?????
No, im not at that stage yet but im afraid to ask or look. I will be looking for an aluminum intake that looks like an original 69 383 intake. At least as much as possible.

the key is understanding what OEM pieces that work and what they are worth. yes aluminum intakes are light, cool to have one sitting on that SB, BUT there are heavy OEM SB intakes that work just as well on most of our cars. take those old leaf springs to good shop and have them re arched.
when there is not enough extra cash, people do like they did back in the 60's 70's 80's... they got inventive.. they used the hotrodding ideas, kept it simple and cheap as possible and still got the job done!?????
biggest handicap is lack of boneyards with any of our old cars. but there are tons of enthusiasts that have this stuff sitting they will give away or for cheap>
seems to me.

-
Back