Wow, what a difference!! Super stock springs!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here! Yesterday I got the idea that I would install a set of super stock springs on Sunfish, due to the sagging look of the rear end with the original springs! Good thing I completely rebuilt the rear end and springs a couple years ago, because it really made the switchover a snap! I think it took me about an hour total to do the swap!!

Anyway, I was anticipating a slight rise in the rear end with the SS springs, but was shocked when the car hit the ground!! Dang, the car looks like I time machined it back to 1978, now all I need are some Hi-Jackers and some Sticky Mickeys 50's and ill be all set!! Still not sure i like it up that high, but I'm going to give it a chance! Can always go back, the original springs are all rebuilt, painted, new shims, pads and bushings, just sat a little low is all!!

So here's the before and after pics!! Can only load one pic per post for some reason from this crummy phone, so here's the before....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 956
It will probably have a little sag after being on for awhile. Still not bad height if you are bringing luggage with you. lol

Gonna get a nosebleed up there Geoff, I have them on my 69' Cuda but added some lowering blocks to get it down. Needing new springs on my 65' but undecided on what to use, I'm not a big fan of the old school stinkbug look. Maybe mono's with Cal tracs.

Wow, quite a change. What do you think, maybe 4 inch,difference? I wonder if it will relax down after some road trips.

are those 14" tires?

They are 14" tires, and I just bought them! Hoping the springs relax a little bit! I have another set of SS springs as well, and was planning on using them on the other convertible, now going to wait and see if I like this app first!! Both sets of springs are brand new, so they may need a little time to relax! Hoping this is the case, otherwise, I'm selling both sets and buying some XHD!! Both sets were free so at least I'm not out any $$$ if I don't like them!! Geof

I was also surprised at the heigth of the SS springs, I would guess @4" gained in the rear.

After rebuilding the front end of my dart and gaining 1 5/8" out of the front I could.not stand the saggy ***. Now Her stance is much nicer.

The springs will settle down a little bit.
The 1 inch over bend springs from ESPO.com are a little less in ride height.
I do not know about the OE-XHD springs from MoPar.
Lowering blocks are a excellent idea.

The front spring hanger on some MoPars are splayed. Can't flip them over. Studs will not line up with the holes.

Wow, this car just keeps going up!! Had a set of new shocks so I threw them on the front and back, now the front is up more also!! I think it evened it out a bit, but man is it higher than it was just yesterday with all of those old components! I guess next is the sway bar disc setup I planned on swapping on, and a front end rebuild!! Probably get me lookin like a monster mudder!!! :)

Before the new shocks.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 778
Mopar XHD's wouldn't raise the car up as much, but they sag pretty good after awhile. The Mopar Performance versions are built in Mexico, and lots of folks have reported they sag a lot after a little road time. You might do better with Mancini's XHD's, or just go with EXPO.

I run AFCO springs on my Duster, the 20231M's I have use a reinforced front section and have a 121 lb/in rate. AFCO also specs their springs by rate and arch, so it's easy to figure out what you're getting. They only issue is that they have the 1" rear spring eye, but that's easily solved with the right bushings.

And that bushing is .... Energy suspension # 2.2117g and you can get it autozone.

Tires look too small now. :)

I know, that's what I was afraid of! As you can see, I'm find of a tall sidewall and a full wheel well, and with that much room, I hope the springs sag a little! Also still have SBP and those are 14x5.5", the largest stock rim I can find!! Geof

I was wondering it its possible to flip the front mount over and get back an inch or 2!! Anybody ever do this??

I did it Geoff on my front shackles . . . dropped the rear over an inch . . . I have SS sorings also :)

the pic on my avatar is before I flipped the fronts

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
I'm currently running two passenger side 2800 lbs Super Stock springs on my 1970 440-6 'Cuda. This was at the recommendation of Dr Diff.

I tried the 3600 lbs once years ago, which are supposed to be correct for my car, but they made it ride like an empty bedded pick-up truck.

The 2800 lbs passenger side SS springs are perfect for my big block 'Cuda. I do have headers, aluminum heads and an aluminum water pump, so the car should be about 3600 lbs wet.

The handling, launch and ride are the best I have ever had in this car. I do have AFCO double adjustable shocks all the way around.

The thing just squats, weight transfers and hooks up HARD!

I highly recommend the combination.

Here's a picture of the car at full throttle, with the original 4 speed, in 3rd gear with 3.54's pulling away at 70+ mph.......BTW it pulls over 700+hp.

I've since put in a set of Dana 3.73's and a Passon 5 speed. It's downright sinister now! You can feel all four tires twisting in weird contortions as it just dead hooks (once rolling). All I can say is thank God for subframe connectors and Mighty Mount motor mounts. The car is a high 10 second vehicle capable of burying the 150 MPH speedo and wanting another gear.

Attachments

• IMG_7558 (Large).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 652
They are 14" tires, and I just bought them! Hoping the springs relax a little bit! I have another set of SS springs as well, and was planning on using them on the other convertible, now going to wait and see if I like this app first!! Both sets of springs are brand new, so they may need a little time to relax! Hoping this is the case, otherwise, I'm selling both sets and buying some XHD!! Both sets were free so at least I'm not out any $$$ if I don't like them!! Geof

i put the xhd spring it raise my duster 3 1/2 inch it looks like it has air shocks they are coming off and putting heavy duty 340 springs stock 340 a bodys

-
Back