WWII Pic of my Dad

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
This picture was taken on one of the Islands, (Can't remember which one) shortly after (a few days) my father had killed a sniper, captured the rifle and flag with his brothers in arms. He sent that rifle back to my mother in the states and it was willed to me. Of course I still have it. Funny to think that my entire existence I owe to my Father's skill with a M1 Garand. That's him on the right with the captured rifle. Pardon the quality, I had to take a picture of a picture, lol. The next pic is him and my uncle Jake. He's on the right and looking a bit like John Dillinger with my mom on his left arm.

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

My dad was on Guam. He was the head of the motor pool there. He also sent home a jap 6.5mm carbine. He never would tell me how he got it.
God bless all of our veterans!
Ted

Thats cool I have about 200 or so Photos of my Grandfather and my Great Grandfather in WWII. My Photos are from Sipan,Germany,Hawaii,Austria,and Switzerland.My Grand Father was Army 1945-46 Great Grandfather Army 1942-1945.
I actually collect WWI and WWII photos now.
Jim

Have no pics of my Dad from the war.He chooses not to talk about it,I think I understand why.Is an ugly thing.

anybody else got any pictures they can post?? both of my parents passed away a couple of years ago and thanks to some real bad blood between everybody all of the family photos and what not are in the grips of my f*****g a**hole sister:angry7::angry7::angry7:

My father enlisted in the Marine Corps. in '42 and made three beach heads.... Bougainville, Guam and Okinawa. Every now and again he would pull the rifle out to clean it and his gaze would go far, far away. I would ask about it and all he told me was that he was a better shot than the other guy and he was point. Then he would disassemble it and name the parts off for me. There's a bit more to it, but those memories are for me only.

All these small skirmishes were most likely lost to history but my posting here depended on it.

You got it Ted, God Bless our Veterans and those still serving!

Thats cool I have about 200 or so Photos of my Grandfather and my Great Grandfather in WWII. My Photos are from Sipan,Germany,Hawaii,Austria,and Switzerland.My Grand Father was Army 1945-46 Great Grandfather Army 1942-1945.
I actually collect WWI and WWII photos now.
Jim

If it's OK with them, post them up! It would be an honor to see them.

This picture was taken on one of the Islands, (Can't remember which one) shortly after (a few days) my father had killed a sniper, captured the rifle and flag with his brothers in arms. He sent that rifle back to my mother in the states and it was willed to me. Of course I still have it. Funny to think that my entire existence I owe to my Father's skill with a M1 Garand. That's him on the right with the captured rifle. Pardon the quality, I had to take a picture of a picture, lol. The next pic is him and my uncle Jake. He's on the right and looking a bit like John Dillinger with my mom on his left arm.

That's freakin' awesome. My grandfather fought in WWII... he talks more about it now than he ever did... probably becuase he's in his late 80's and time could be short for anyone at that age (although he's in good health).

Last time I was over to see him he showed me some "memorabilia" he picked up from a German that happened to be on the other end of his rifle. I'm going to see him in a few weeks, so I'll try to get some pics of that stuff.

Heros all! Thanks for the pictures. Thank your father for me.

The people of that generation willingly did things that would make todays youth pee their pants.

No joke. There's no way I could ever live up to what that man did in his life. He lost a brother in that war, a Navy pilot. They never did find him or his plane. I still have some things of his that were sent back that my Dad left me.

That's freakin' awesome. My grandfather fought in WWII... he talks more about it now than he ever did... probably becuase he's in his late 80's and time could be short for anyone at that age (although he's in good health).

Last time I was over to see him he showed me some "memorabilia" he picked up from a German that happened to be on the other end of his rifle. I'm going to see him in a few weeks, so I'll try to get some pics of that stuff.

Write it down, record him, get pictures, do anything you can to save what he's been through before you lose him. The Canadians were essential to winning this war on all fronts. Be sure to thank your Grandfather for his service for me. :)

My father was involved in seven major battles in WWII.
He was awarded seven Bronze Battle Stars

They were:

Algeria-French Morocco
Naples-Foggia
Sicily
Utah Beach Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Central Europe

He was with the U.S. Army Amphibious Forces
1942-1945

Here he is in Germany:

He is far right on the bottom row
Army04_Medium_.jpg

Dad01_Medium_1.jpg

He passed away Dec. 13, 1999

I wish I could Tony. He passed away from cancer on Oct. 21, 1996. Thank you though for your good wishes, he was a great man.

I think he knows how we appreciated what they did during
the War. I believe my father does also.

All Service men and women have my praise. Like I said Heros All.

May he rest in peace......

Thank you for posting those pics and it's an honor to see them Tony. I know that our Fathers are in good company.

You got it Tony, they were Hero's on the battlefield and giants among men when they returned.

Cherish the WW11 generation. My grandpa died in 1996, and I really didn't get a chance to talk with him about his service. From what my dad had learned from him, he started in the MN national guard, when the Japs bombed pearl harbor they lined up all the troops and went down one by one and re-assigned them into different branches. He was reassigned to the coast guard. His brother in laws (Frank and Jim) stayed in the army. Jim went to Europe as an anti-aircraft gunner and Frank to the Pacific. Where, I'm not sure. Needless to say my family ended up with war souvenirs. Frank got a Jap rifle, rising sun flag and a sword and shipped them home. Jim sent home a Nazi flag, german medals and patches off of dead Nazi uniforms. Knowing what they went threw, every last one of them, I can't praise or thank them enough. They made this country free for me and my family. Thank you.

I will admit that I am the younger generation being only 28 . I have a grandfather that was in WWII but he has never spoke of it . My father was a Marine in vietnam , and he never spoke of it intell I came back from Iraq . I have a lot of respect for him that I never would have had before I was in the Marines myself . Now my wife asks me questions about it and its hard to talk about it . I guess I finally understand .

My Grandfather was in Europe for WWII. He sent a German rifle home. He would only tell me he was face to face with the previous owner and the German tried to fire the gun at him but it missfired. When I asked what happened next he just got a sad lost look in his eyes and would not say anything the rest of the night. That was the only time he ever talked about it and I never saw the gun again. I guess I shouldn't have been in the attic looking around.

I cant say enough for the vets of this country. I will always love every one of you.

Thank you

Brad

During WWII if you had a family member in the service, you would hang a small banner in your window with a star on it.
My grandfather's banner had 5 stars! And all my uncles made it back. That banner is on display at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Base in Dayton, Ohio.
Of all my uncles, there is only 1 left. He is 89 and fiesty. He enlisted just after Pearl Harbor and was assigned to the Army Air Corp in the intel division.
He served in the India China Burma campaign, Japan occupation and also served in Turkey, Alaska, SAC and his final 2 tours were in the Pentagon.
He never speaks of any of his service as to his jobs but he does hint that he really liked the travel. Except that he hates to fly! He still travels around -free loading with nieces and nephews when ever he can. He is still my favorite uncle!
Thank God for all the people that served.
The Army didn't want me in 1969. My lottery # was 9 but a motorcycle accident in 1968 messed up my leg.

The best thing to do in families with squabbles over photo ownership is to have them scanned to a computer; then, everyone could have a copy.

I agree, every one of the stories of our war veterans makes up a mosaic of the total experience. Record them before they become lost to the ages.

I had four uncles in WW II, one of whom was a tank driver in the Pacific. A great uncle was killed as a B-24 bombardier in Europe.

One of my neighbors was a B-17 pilot in Europe. He told a story of the formation flying through clouds before the target-area flak began while German fighters approached from behind. They exited a cloud and he looked out the left cockpit window to see a Bf-109 flying alongside straight and level. He yelled on the intercom for the gunners as he pulled out his .45 and emptied the magazine out the window toward the fighter. He said that the German pilot had been looking to his left and had not seen the bomber, but soon saw the huge plane, **** his pants, and dove away as the .50 cal tracers began appearing.

My Grandfather was in WW1 as a bombadier. All he ever told me was that the bomb rack was on the outside of the cockpit and they would just pick them up and drop them on troops, tanks etc. During WW2, he served on a hospital ship around Egypt I think. The thing is, also from some of the stories in the posts here, that those veterans who killed Germans or Japanese or any enemy feel remorse about what they have done. All the Vets I have seen interviewed or spoken to say the same thing: they don't wish war on anyone. I think it is because the psychological trauma in the context of having to kill and then returning home to lead a normal life must be incredibly unsettling. It's a shame the human race hasn't learned the lessons of WW2 because war seems always to be justified now. The funny thing is I acted in a new HBO series called The Pacific and in those surroundings, with all the Marines, I felt incredibly gung-ho. But even though my part was small, and I respected the memory of the vets and what they had done, I still felt incredibly conflicted knowing about the brutality inflicted from both sides.

I have had this picture since I was 6 years old Joe, It was all I had to know who my father was growing up. I have not taken it out of the frame in a long time. USAF Field Engineer, He said he would fly over area's and take pictures of the land for base camps, he ended up as an Architect and helped design our Collage and foot ball stadium here in town and was a building inspector for commercial buildings
I new my uncles more then I knew my father, My mom's brother was a Marine and was a marksman trainer with a M1 rifle. Robert Morgan "my father figure" has Trophies from the Marine's for shooting and medals as a trainer.
You look like your father Joe. I wish I new more about there time serving our country, But uncle Robert made up for it by letting me in his home every year between crop season. His family is my family and live just a 40 minute drive away.

I sure do miss him and will always remember all he has taught me, he made me the man I am today, I got to know my father for a little while and miss him to, But my uncle Robert Morgan has me in tears now. Damn it man.

I put the word Dad on the pack of the picture in 1965

dirt track 9 16 077.jpg

dirt track 9 16 079.jpg

-
Back