X-Head Porting....

-
Hard to see.

It's shiny.

Does the bowl feel smooth n round with your fingers and do you have snap gauges to measure the bowl mid/throat cs?

It feels smooth except for 1 part... right in the casting flaw in the waterfall. It has a ridge there that sticks above the flow of the port, right in here.. I havent figured out a way to get the spot with the different burrs, sanding rolls or stones.

I can try to get more pictures in a bit, idk how to make them not so shiney. Not very bright in the ports unless I shine light in them... snap guages? Mid/throat cs?

No extra light only the overhead light used.

20210204_181110.jpg

20210204_181049.jpg

20210204_181023.jpg

20210204_180911.jpg

20210204_180456.jpg

It is 90%
However, with the stockish low lift cam that these head would be going on........The throat should be a little smaller then that, to keep the Velocity Up..........
Just the way i look at this.

Lookin good! @MOPAROFFICIAL told me about a "%" that the throat vs valve seat diameterbshould be, I cant remember the # is exactly, something like 90%?

It is 90%
However, with the stockish low lift cam that these head would be going on........The throat should be a little smaller then that, to keep the Velocity Up..........

Ok.. I dont know what the throat is... so I can't measure or calculate it.

I'm assuming it is the "primary choke point?"

Smallest cross section area below the valve seat.
As you can see they are way, way smaller then 90% of the valve from the factory.

Can you post a picture of the tools you are using????

Yes sir!

These are all types of burs, stones and sand paper rolls i have.

The second picture has everything that can spin the burrs to remove metal out of the ports.

Still have to figure out the best way to use them. As of now the easiest to control is the hand drill and the pneumatic. Im going to work with the electric handpiece some more tomorrow to try and get better with it, as I think in the long run it will be the best tool to use. Luckily I have like 15 more intake ports and 32 exhaust ports to get my technique perfect.

20210204_213727.jpg

20210204_214149.jpg

Yes sir!

These are all types of burs, stones and sand paper rolls i have.

The second picture has everything that can spin the burrs to remove metal out of the ports.

Still have to figure out the best way to use them. As of now the easiest to control is the hand drill and the pneumatic. Im going to work with the electric handpiece some more tomorrow to try and get better with it, as I think in the long run it will be the best tool to use. Luckily I have like 15 more intake ports and 32 exhaust ports to get my technique perfect.

View attachment 1715683863

View attachment 1715683864

Ok, it makes sense to me now. If you are using the hand drill for most of the grinding, you don’t have enough speed for the burr or the stones. That’s why the finish looks the way it does.

Once you get the speed to where you can control it, and you learn what speed you need you’ll find it’s much easier to get the shape and finish you want.

That had drill is just too slow...and it’s got to be bulky and terrible to manipulate.

The short side radius(ssr) is what you have marked in red.
I wouldn't be touching that until you can get more proficient at making it smooth and round......in other places.
That part of the port is the most sensitive to change (in my opinion) you can completely destroy a head with work in that area.
And as i said early, There is Water Underneath Them Red Marks.

As YR said you need to be turning that bur way faster then a drill will ever turn it.
Also you will dull the bur 100 time fast with the low speed of a drill them you will with a die grinder.
The bur will over heat in a slow spinning tool like a drill.

With the long burs you have to slow it down a LOT.........and it while still be turning way faster then a drill.

See now, my theory of operation is just the opposite. Those bits are meant to be run at high RPM. High RPM and little bites, always moving in the same direction as the bit rotation. Sure I slow down but thats when the thing bites and does the wallowing bounce act. I don't have much experience with the long bits or even porting for that matter, but I have put a lot of miles on die grinders working in the collision repair industry. I bet they told you the same thing about grinding on teeth. In the end it's whatever works for you and failure is just another word for experience. Gotta keep a mindful eye on that grip too.
I appreciate your encouragement, but THAT philosophy of ‘mistakes were chalked up to experience’ was my DENTISTS’ philosophy.

Those jive turkeys that graduate at the bottom of their class are called Ensign, and Second Lieutenant!!

-they asked me what I thought after my unnecessary root canal (deployment policy) and I told them I’ll die before I go back. Pliers would have been easier.

I would rather slap your momma so you would punch my teeth out! Not kidding!!

I like your philosophy OUTSIDE of my medical service-Holy Smokes it was gawd awful!!!

I havent been able to work on these in a couple of weeks. They took a backseat to me fixing my brakes... again. Replaced the MC (again) and built lines from the MC to prop valve and now they work flawlessly!

I appreciate your encouragement, but THAT philosophy of ‘mistakes were chalked up to experience’ was my DENTISTS’ philosophy.

Those jive turkeys that graduate at the bottom of their class are called Ensign, and Second Lieutenant!!

-they asked me what I thought after my unnecessary root canal (deployment policy) and I told them I’ll die before I go back. Pliers would have been easier.

I would rather slap your momma so you would punch my teeth out! Not kidding!!

I like your philosophy OUTSIDE of my medical service-Holy Smokes it was gawd awful!!!

The dentists that graduate at the bottom of their class are called... Doctor.

Also a lot of the kids at the top of the class are very book smart but have limited hand skills and personality... a few of them just become dental school professors, because when you can't do you teach...

Back on subject, experiences are usually done on fake teeth or pulled teeth but at some point you have to get your experiences on people and not all the time does it work out as planned. People can suck at times... don't keep their mouth open, have limited ability to open their mouth, think they can self diagnose their problem, are cheap, won't do recommended treatment because "insurance " doesn't cover it, don't come back to finish treatment, don't have good home care etc etc... kind of like me and my mopar lol.

The dentists that graduate at the bottom of their class are called... Doctor.

Also a lot of the kids at the top of the class are very book smart but have limited hand skills and personality... a few of them just become dental school professors, because when you can't do you teach...

Back on subject, experiences are usually done on fake teeth or pulled teeth but at some point you have to get your experiences on people and not all the time does it work out as planned. People can suck at times... don't keep their mouth open, have limited ability to open their mouth, think they can self diagnose their problem, are cheap, won't do recommended treatment because "insurance " doesn't cover it, don't come back to finish treatment, don't have good home care etc etc... kind of like me and my mopar lol.
My sincere apologies if you are offended. I realize that of course.

Those type of ‘doctors’ offered one friend open heart surgery, another had his ankle cartilage rebuilt with his knee cartilage-just so they can be the first to do it. We received multiple letters that our children were in safe hands (under their care) after they lost a child (lord knows why). Those three events locked-in my distrust.

I paid extreme close attention during the root canal prep-multiple times I was handed off to a doctor that had never completed a particular procedure-with the others coming, about every 40 minutes, checking on their junior partner. “That looks good.” You can park a cockroach between my gold cap and the next tooth.

The one fairly competent doctor, clamped my jaw so hard I could feel my heart beat pounding everywhere. It felt like shaking in my head. The swelling didn’t go down for weeks.

I firmly believe that if you were very angry with me, that you would do a better job!

Anyways I love your thread and your port work is very encouraging-thanks very much.

All of your questions are shared by other enthusiasts and I greatly appreciate your efforts-thank you.

My sincere apologies if you are offended. I realize that of course.

Those type of ‘doctors’ offered one friend open heart surgery, another had his ankle cartilage rebuilt with his knee cartilage-just so they can be the first to do it. We received multiple letters that our children were in safe hands (under their care) after they lost a child (lord knows why). Those three events locked-in my distrust.

I paid extreme close attention during the root canal prep-multiple times I was handed off to a doctor that had never completed a particular procedure-with the others coming, about every 40 minutes, checking on their junior partner. “That looks good.” You can park a cockroach between my gold cap and the next tooth.

The one fairly competent doctor, clamped my jaw so hard I could feel my heart beat pounding everywhere. It felt like shaking in my head. The swelling didn’t go down for weeks.

I firmly believe that if you were very angry with me, that you would do a better job!

Anyways I love your thread and your port work is very encouraging-thanks very much.

All of your questions are shared by other enthusiasts and I greatly appreciate your efforts-thank you.

Oh no, not offended at all. Dentists like every other profession has to get practice and lots of it before you're good. Kind of like porting heads, the first couple aren't so good, but the more you do it the better feel for it you get and the better your results end up being.

Also sorry about your negative experiences, hopefully you don't take those experiences with you to all your Doctors because it would stink to be dismissive to the bad Dr's who care about people's well being.

Thanks for the compliment on my "porting" I still have a long way to go thats for sure, but its fun learning new things even if I suck at it haha.

It is 90%
340 With a 2.02, ok
With a 1.88, not so much.
Either way ...the diff is 5%.

Thanks! Also wasn't trying to offend when saying the xheads were on the car. These are my practice heads before pulling the xheads. Maybe ill get lucky and suck at porting/cleaning up the heads to where I won't want to yank my xheads off lol.

Yeah I've been thinking of the problems I may end up with if I go to aluminum cnc heads... would need other expensive parts to I go along with the heads...
Doc if you want those X heads ported I got a Man here in MO that will do them and do them correct. This old Mopar man has ported more heads than he can remember. PM me

-
Back