X HEADS

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
i have a set of bare stock [no porting ,no cutting ] X s/b heads i believe came on 68-69 340 motors WHAT ARE THEY WORTH ? also 010-010 steel 340 crank just ground thanks

Heads, probably 200-250. Crank probably about the same.

I paid $350.00 usd for a .010 .010 crank 2 years ago. X heads are probably worth $300.00 and up. I. Ought a set of J heads rebuilt with 2.02 valves for $600.00 usd. Kim

I paid $350.00 usd for a .010 .010 crank 2 years ago. X heads are probably worth $300.00 and up. I. Ought a set of J heads rebuilt with 2.02 valves for $600.00 usd. Kim
Somebody saw you comin. For 600, I'd put a little more and go aluminum. Just cause you did it, doesn't make it right. lol

It will cost just as much to rebuild those heads as the price of complete ready to bolt on aluminum heads. They are only worth something to someone that is restoring and original numbers car. with today's fuel aluminum heads are the way to go unless you have your own machine shop.
Hardened Seats + install and grind, new valves, Retainers , Springs, Cut for seals, Guides and resurface. This all adds up, Then price heads ready to go. X 894 heads are no different then J,U,O,Z 915's except for the later 188 valve heads. . X's are just cut more to give them a smaller chamber size that increases compression from 10.3 to 10.5. Ever wonder why it was so hard to get the bolts started on a six pack to X heads back in the day. Or any 70 up intake for that matter.

Crank if polished ready to install max is $400. I have polished forged standards we sell for $500.

Most engines we build get stroker kits. Best bang for the buck. Crank , Rods , Pistons, Rings , and Bearings. One price and all new parts. Thats is why we have good cranks setting here to sell. Good 340 Blocks are a different story they are getting to be like hens teeth.

Last edited:
In 2005. I was at Rockingham and had a set of bare X heads for sale for $250...Tony D'agostino and another man about started fighting to see who would buy my heads...the other guy said Tony, you fucked me over in Bristol but today you will not!!...Tony didn't get the heads..

It has been said many times that alloy heads suck heat out of the chambers and so you need to up the Scr about a half a point to compensate, else your car will lose power and lose fuel-efficiency with no other changes.
I can't say if that is correct or not.
But I can tell you that I have run the Eddies up into the range of 185/190psi and more, at full power, full timing, still on 87E10. In my combo this is an Scr of 11 to 11.3, depending on headgasket. So IMO, a half a point is barely adequate compensation.
If your shortblock is already built at some much lower Scr,
AND your car is to be a streeter,
AND it has a manual trans,
then alloy heads might not be the best choice. I mean they are, but the pressure needs to be brought higher, or it will suffer from a soft bottom end, which with a 2.66low gear box.... is pretty much guaranteed to suck.
Thankfully most alloy heads are closed chambers running from 65 to 58 cc, giving you some compression increase, especially over open chamber irons.

IMO
with the price of gas set to skyrocket, we need to build our engines to be as fuel-efficient as possible so we can drive them more than an hour or two on the weekend. High cylinder pressure is the first step.

Your opinion may vary

The x’s are attractive to resto guys and anyone who has to run a stock iron casting. Both groups are not HUGE.

X Heads have to be most overly worshipped part in the Mopar world of performance.
Dude, it's the X. You should see the Chevy guys fighting over the old 041X double humps. You'd think they were made outta gold. ......and every single Ford 400......has a row of X's cast right in the intake valley. You caint tell um nuthin, until you show um another one just like it and they they think they have seen two "rare and experimental" blocks. Yes, the X marks the spot. The stupid spot.

I want a W2 slant head. LMAO

They don't make one for a slant yet. :p
They could make one. This one is race only with alcohol. No coolant passages. This one happens to fit a John Deere.

radar2.jpg

If I bought a set of SM on sale landed to most Canucks door is $2k. Should I start boohooing hoping for a handout or should I use the X heads I've got??
Oh ya and deal with the accessory alignment bs??
Hmmm hard decision...handout or use what I got?

-
Back