X pipe benefits

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I was wondering if there would be any benefit of installing an x pipe on my car. The engine is a mild build, around 275 horse. It's a 340/373 cube 9.68;1 compression with EQ magnum heads, Hughes cam with 219/228 at .050. I have the HP 340 manifolds and the 340 Accurate 2.25 full dual exhaust with the stock mufflers and stainless tips. I know the exhaust system is really choking the engine down. I was wondering if an x pipe would help with the exhaust flow, maybe a muffler change too.
I really hate the thought of cutting my high dollar exhaust for an x pipe if it's not going to make any noticeable difference in the performance. Headers are a no go too, because I don't want the hassle that go with them.

Since your engine is so mild I don't see any significant benefits. just my .02.

Hey Guys, I was wondering if there would be any benefit of installing an x pipe on my car. The engine is a mild build, around 275 horse. It's a 340/373 cube 9.68;1 compression with EQ magnum heads, Hughes cam with 219/228 at .050. I have the HP 340 manifolds and the 340 Accurate 2.25 full dual exhaust with the stock mufflers and stainless tips. I know the exhaust system is really choking the engine down. I was wondering if an x pipe would help with the exhaust flow, maybe a muffler change too.
I really hate the thought of cutting my high dollar exhaust for an x pipe if it's not going to make any noticeable difference in the performance. Headers are a no go too, because I don't want the hassle that go with them.
I have pretty much the same set up with stock manifolds and exhaust. I have to ask.. How do you get 373 cubes? My 340 is 40 over and works out to 346 cubes.

honestly instead of butcher your current exhaust,id build a new one.ive built more than a few exhausts on my 340 dart with different results,and some un-expected results as well.the best all around system i fabbed was a 2.5 x pipe with ultra flow mufflers.the worst was an all mandrel bent 2.5 true dual (no cross over) with magnaflows.the one that made the most power is my current 3" x-pipe with race bullet mufflers.the last 18" of the tail pipes are a stainless resonator with a 2.5 core held in place by id/od sheet metal exhaust clamps.that way they can be swapped for a piece of straight pipe whenever i want,it gets real loud that way lol.the main things ive noticed about running an x pipe compared to true dual or an h is it gets quieter,and the exhaust note smooths out.i also noticed the greatest gains in low end torque with an x.top end was about the same ,crossover or no crossover with the exception of the 3",the car really comes to life above 4000 now with no real loss of low end.given the high dollar cost of your current system id think it could be sold to cover the cost of a new x-pipe system.

-
Back