Yipes, Stripes!

-

jos51700

Green Bearing thread connoisseur
Reaction score
So the other thread on butt stripes (ahem, NOT skid marks) has brought up something I've wondered about for years.

I have a '72 Dart which never had a factory butt stripe. My car is white with an olive green top and interior and it's hard to even find pictures in this color combo.
It looks like the vinyl stripes only came in black, white, blue and red. Would I be better off to try and find a custom green stripe to match, a black stripe to complement, or just leave it off because they never had a stripe in '72?
If the car was any other color but white, I'd run a white stripe and be done.

used-dodge-dart-swinger-1972-48986231_1_l.jpg

It looks like the vinyl stripes don't have cutouts for the marker lights and '72 has the red plastic marker with no bezel, unlike the '70-'71 model that has a chrome bezel around the marker which 'borders' it from the stripe so the color contrast isn't jarring.

It also bugs me that the '72 marker didn't center in the stripe from the earlier years.
fl0116-231796_3.jpg

021.jpg

All opinions welcome.

Last edited:
So the other thread on butt stripes (ahem, NOT skid marks) has brought up something I've wondered about for years.

I have a '72 Dart which never had a factory butt stripe. My car is white with an olive green top and interior. It looks like the vinyl stripes only came in black, white, blue and red. Would I be better off to try and find a custom green stripe to match, a black stripe to complement, or just leave it off because they never had a stripe in '72?

It looks like the vinyl stripes don't have cutouts for the marker lights and '72 has the red plastic marker with no bezel, unlike the '70-'71 model that has a chrome bezel around the marker which 'borders' it from the stripe so the color contrast isn't jarring.

All opinions welcome.
A green stripe might be fun.

I'm betting the people who repop stripes, would make you a set in about any green available for a bit extra.

This shows a green stripe but I don't recall ever seeing one, I wonder if it's a bright green like the E bodies got though. I'm sure you could get one made in a similar shade of green though.

70_Dart0008.jpg

I would think that a matching green strip would look good and be a real conversation starter.

This shows a green stripe but I don't recall ever seeing one, I wonder if it's a bright green like the E bodies got though. I'm sure you could get one made in a similar shade of green though.

View attachment 1716078475
Those were earlier cars with the vertical stripes. Is that showing a dark green stripe available?

Digging around I only found lime green and bright green as custom colors

I'm picturing a green stripe not looking right next to the red marker lights. I wonder if I could just paint the perimeter of the marker argent silver or something

First I'd try hard to custom match the green. Second choice.....I'd consider an outline of a butt stripe using same colour green pinstripe (more colour options in pinstripe). It's a way to put a white stripe on a white car.

First I'd try hard to custom match the green. Second choice.....I'd consider an outline of a butt stripe using same colour green pinstripe (more colour options in pinstripe). It's a way to put a white stripe on a white car.
Outside the box.... Nice
Yep! I’m doing a black 340 stripe on my black car. Subtle….

View attachment 1716078553
Pics?

The one vendor I found only had glossy material. I'm thinking matte.

Outside the box.... Nice

Pics?

Haven’t applied it yet but will do when done. phoenix graphics are essentially same as oem, not total dull flat but definitely not glossy, most like satin describes the finish of my last black stripe I got from them. Should provide a ’ghosting’ effect.

My 70 Dart was originally a white car with the green interior and very dark green vinyl top. I ended taking the top off and using a black stripe, but the original top was so dark that I think it would have been fine with the black stripe

A friend bought a 70 Dart Swinger 340 several years ago. The body turned out to be too far gone to restore, but when we decoded the broadcast sheet it called for a "translucent green stripe".

I just finished a 70 Dart GT and wanted a metallic grey stripe to match the interior so I went to Phoenix Graphics and they were happy to make 70 Dart stripes in any 3M color that I wanted. They sent me 4 different metallic Gray to silver swatches and I picked one. I think they charged me 25% over a standard color (an extra $30???)

My 70 Dart was originally a white car with the green interior and very dark green vinyl top. I ended taking the top off and using a black stripe, but the original top was so dark that I think it would have been fine with the black stripe

A friend bought a 70 Dart Swinger 340 several years ago. The body turned out to be too far gone to restore, but when we decoded the broadcast sheet it called for a "translucent green stripe".

I just finished a 70 Dart GT and wanted a metallic grey stripe to match the interior so I went to Phoenix Graphics and they were happy to make 70 Dart stripes in any 3M color that I wanted. They sent me 4 different metallic Gray to silver swatches and I picked one. I think they charged me 25% over a standard color (an extra $30???)

Translucent green? WTF? Does anybody have picture of that? The only thing cooler than that would be a reflective dark green stripe.

Thanks for the tip! Will call Phoenix.

Outside the box.... Nice

Pics?

as promised here are the finished results. Not sure if I’m going to put the white duster name on the front still, but will still likely put the duster and twister symbol on the rear..

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

Did the OP ever decide on a stripe???

I just finished my Plum Crazy 1970 Dart and was going to put on a White bumblebee stripe. After having the car in purple for a few months, we decided to go with a less "in your face " stripe. Since I did the interior in metallic silver with black trim, we decided on a dark silver metallic stripe so I contacted Phoenix Graphics. They sent me 4 different flavors in that color that 3M offered as base material. We picked a "gunmetal silver" with lots of metallic in the stripe to match the metallic in the Plum Crazy. They charged me an extra 25% for the custom color. Just got them applied last week and I couldn't be happier. The metallic even lets the stripes change hue like the paint does at different angles in the sun.

If the OP has a green interior like my Dart Custom, the interior paint trim is a great shade of dark metallic green that might be a candidate. Just ask Phoenix for a swatch of every green they can offer.

DSC04973.JPG

DSC04975.JPG

DSC04969.JPG

-
Back