You talked me into it. 727 to a 904

-

dart19666

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok this is something that I have wanted to do for a while now. So I saw Mad darts "904 Recipe" but I have some questions. The plates and steels I looked on that sight and I must be blind I cant find the thin plates anywhere. Must be called some thing different or they are the .068". Please lay it out for me everything that I need for this step. Also the Teflon Wit page is no longer active. I have build many 727's but zero 904's. About the same I know but dont know the little tricks. Next week I am going to pick up a 904 my buddy has in his Garage and I will pull it apart, see what I see. This link will be active for a while as I build this so please pop in from time to time and put your 2 cents. Also I noticed Mad Dart that your running a trans brake with low band apply. My brake is a Coan billet non rear band apply. I know mine leaves on the clutches where your's leaves on the band. Pro's and con's for this on a 904 would be sweet. Thanks:prayer:

the thin disc and steel you want are for the rear clutch pac....

Wit redid their website and it sucks with capital letters now

12126 Steel, 904/A500 Forward/Direct Clu .068" 60-Up

or

12126A Steel, 904/A500 Forward/Direct Clu .068" (Kolene)

12108 Fri, 904/A500 Forward Clu(Rear) .061" (Smooth) 60-Up (Raybestos Frictions)

12108A Fri, 904/A500 Forward Clu(Rear) .061" (Hi-Energy) 1960-Up

B12108 Fri, 904/A500 Forward Clu(Rear) (.061" )(Smooth)60-Up (Borg Warner)

Here is the number of the trans my buddy has 2538473. I have searched all that I can and cant find ****. Is there a list of what is what and what I want?

IMO a trans swap from a 727 to a 904 is not worth it if you have a 727 already. Could probably lose 2 tenths (at the most from the swap) in ways much cheaper and easier than swapping a trans, and still have the strength of the 727...JMO

Wish I built a 727 instead of my 904...It has held up so far in my heavy *** car, but I worry about it constantly

IMO a trans swap from a 727 to a 904 is not worth it if you have a 727 already. Could probably lose 2 tenths (at the most from the swap) in ways much cheaper and easier than swapping a trans, and still have the strength of the 727...JMO

Wish I built a 727 instead of my 904...It has held up so far in my heavy *** car, but I worry about it constantly

How much power are you throwing at your 904 on Juice? You foot brake or Tbrake? AND do you leave on the Juice?

How much power are you throwing at your 904 on Juice? You foot brake or Tbrake? AND do you leave on the Juice?

150 hit right now, not sure the total hp, but leaving off the brake, spraying right off the hit, and just under 3500lbs...Called Lenny at UCC the other day about getting my converter gone through, and first thing he mentioned when I told him 904 was that I am a brave and betting man LOL

Mshred, How fast have you gone on motor and spraying it? I am wanting to spray mine next year and wondering what I might pick up on the spray.
THANKS...........

Here is the number of the trans my buddy has 2538473. I have searched all that I can and cant find ****. Is there a list of what is what and what I want?

looks like something out of 66 or 67 year....

[ame]http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf[/ame]

150 hit right now, not sure the total hp, but leaving off the brake, spraying right off the hit, and just under 3500lbs...Called Lenny at UCC the other day about getting my converter gone through, and first thing he mentioned when I told him 904 was that I am a brave and betting man LOL

The 904 is a tough lil sucker. I am sure at some point we will both break the input shaft though.

Your motor probably makes more power than mine. I'm prob running 725+ hp through mine when I add in the 200 hit of Juice. After I get my ladder bar project all done I will find out first hand how much power is capable with a 904. More juice will be on the menu for sure.

I have a built 727 done and ready with billet Drum etc when it happens that I will install. It seems that everything I am doing is not supposed to be capable & you too! Lol

The 904 is a tough lil sucker. I am sure at some point we will both break the input shaft though.

Your motor probably makes more power than mine. I'm prob running 725+ hp through mine when I add in the 200 hit of Juice. After I get my ladder bar project all done I will find out first hand how much power is capable with a 904. More juice will be on the menu for sure.

I have a built 727 done and ready with billet Drum etc when it happens that I will install. It seems that everything I am doing is not supposed to be capable & you too! Lol

I doubt I am making more than you...to be honest, the cam isn't the best profile (I upgraded to solid roller) and with the 360-2's (which are just an aluminum W2 without any special work) I think all I really did was lose some weight and cranking compression LOL...But atleast I have more cushion in the tune on the spray now with pump gas.

I would love to keep spending money on the car on some more reliable parts, but I am going to work with what I have, continue to tune it, and eventually I want to get up to a 200 shot...using the 150 hit to learn the tuning aspect of it all...I hope the 904 lives...To be honest, I am not even worried about the block anymore LMAO...watch that jinx me :banghead: :D

Matt, spray as much as you can!!! I may find the limit of my 904 next year but hopefully she holds

Matt, spray as much as you can!!! I may find the limit of my 904 next year but hopefully she holds

I want to work up to a 200 shot...I don't think the bottom end will like more then that...Although who knows, when I get there I might still want to try more and throw all reason out the window LOL

Getting ready to do the 727 to 904 swap myself. Like you Dart19666 I've done a ton of 727's but only a couple 904's but since their so similar I think I can muttle through it.

Getting ready to do the 727 to 904 swap myself. Like you Dart19666 I've done a ton of 727's but only a couple 904's but since their so similar I think I can muttle through it.

I just want to make sure that I am not shooting my self in the foot here with this Idea of a 727 to 904. As i can see the input shaft is the big problem so I am going to spend the extra 300 bucks and get that. Still looking for a good usable case right now. When I find one I will be on my way. Maddarts Recipe for the 904 I have all that on stand by ready to buy.

I know mine leaves on the clutches where your's leaves on the band. Pro's and con's for this on a 904 would be sweet. Thanks:prayer:

My car is dual purpose. No freewheeling on the street is why I originally got it, to help stop the car. I don't know the pros or cons on a 904, but in a 727 it helps keep from rolling the sprag which can lead to a failure of the front drum by allowing it to turn too fast causing the dreaded 727 Xplosion.

Let the 82 jet be with you :)

I'll stick with a .063 lol I need pistons :(

The .82 pill is where I want to work up to, but I am determined to ring this thing out to the max on the .63 jet before I go more....My 60' times are still crap, and the tune still needs some cleaning up.

Pro Trans 661 940-7400.

Ray

Ray, I called them up when I first wanted to build my 904 based on recommendations to try them..I told them my goals, which really is not lighting the world on fire, and they spec'd me a $3000 transmission...Told me that I needed billet shafts, drums, etc for what I am doing or it would never last. 2 seasons later with stock parts, stock clutches (extra ones though), and a good transbrake VB in my heavy pig and all is still well...Hmmm lol

The .82 pill is where I want to work up to, but I am determined to ring this thing out to the max on the .63 jet before I go more....My 60' times are still crap, and the tune still needs some cleaning up.

Ray, I called them up when I first wanted to build my 904 based on recommendations to try them..I told them my goals, which really is not lighting the world on fire, and they spec'd me a $3000 transmission...Told me that I needed billet shafts, drums, etc for what I am doing or it would never last. 2 seasons later with stock parts, stock clutches (extra ones though), and a good transbrake VB in my heavy pig and all is still well...Hmmm lol

Funny, I called Pro Trans a while back as well and he wanted to totally upsell me also. He wouldn't even give me a straight out answer on the price. Was weird.

-
Back