You talked me into it. 727 to a 904

-
Update. So I have had the 727 out for some time now while making money to spend it. So thing are starting to happen and they are happening quickly this week because the March Meet is right around the corner. First the 904 build. I got everything that was on the “Recipe list” plus a few more. Since I am going with a 1989 case I have 12 rollers for the rear sprage and it is a true bolt in unit, very nice. I also got a 4340 input shaft. This will be sweet so that’s one less thing I will break. I am going to use the same Trans brake that I had in my 727, Coan billet unit. I also just got the Mark Williams 904 1350 u-joint trans yoke. I am going to go with the low ratio first and second gears for this build. If they don’t work well then the other set will go right in. Continental Converters is making me a custom Billet converter that is a full roller.

Now for the rear end. I have had this set up for a while and had good luck with it but now that I am going to be throwing a little more torque multiplication at it and the fact that it is over 15 years old I pulled it out to look at it. I am running a narrowed 8 ¾ 742 case with 4.30 gears with a 28 x 10.5 hoosier slick. This is all fine and dandy but I have always wanted to go with a taller tire so no time like the present to do this. This time I am going with a 29 x 10 hoosier slick and changing to a 4.56 gear. The axles are Moser 35 spine with the matching spool, no change there but here is what I can’t wait for. I dropped some cash on an Aluminum 8 ¾ center section. This is what I have wanted from the get go but never really wanted to mess with the rear end till it broke. It never broke so I am changing it now. I will be taking pics and posting them along the way. I just did a mock up with a 904 case in the car today just to make sure the trans mount worked and everything bolted in.

A little mopar rear end jewelry for your Friday morning. This is going to be stuffed with 4.56 gears and going to reuse my same 35 spline spool. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 290
God.... I remember when MP closed those out. Our cost was less than $500.

And a back-brace on the 8 3/4 rear end then boxed in the leaf spring perches. No pic of them painted but it is now. Driving up to Continental converters on Monday for my new converter.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0096.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 269
I had a 8 3/4 with spool and 4.56's.
31"x13" tire 2624lb car and this is what happened to 2 sets of gears now I have a Dana 60. Would have went with the aluminium carer but did want to try strike 3.

Attachments

• 20140809_135426.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 282
I had a 8 3/4 with spool and 4.56's.
31"x13" tire 2624lb car and this is what happened to 2 sets of gears now I have a Dana 60. Would have went with the aluminium carer but did want to try strike 3.

I have had the same thing happen many times also but not in this car. I got the center section for a hell of a deal so I am going to roll with it. If anything happens after this dana is on deck.

So if you ever need a custom converter, the only place to call, is these guys. Talk to Peter. This place is so clean we asked who is the maid service that shows up to clean this place. Take a look at the welds, and these are not done by a machine, this is the real deal, USA made, done by hand ****. What your looking at is an all brand new billet cover with all brand new internals, full roller converter, 8" converter, for a 904. I will be flying the flag, which means a sticker, for these guys.

Attachments

• converter1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 247
  • converter2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 271
you gotta little bit of work to do in a week!

But please dont think that it is just thrown together. Everything is checked twice then checked again just to make sure it right. :burnout:

Today is going to be a long day and will post pics along the way.

First gripe of the day, Fucken summit racing. I ordered a SME-1010R and the receipt says the same thing but the box is the one with the fucken Summit racing logo on it. **** suckers. Well that just gives me a piviot point to drag the trans now with out scratching the bottom of the pan. Still pissed, ****, ****, ****, ****.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 225
But it is made in the USA ok not so pissed now. It is what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 206
Lol... Drag that name off!

Working on it. But the trans blanket covers it nicely. So here is what I did today, taking pictures along the way was just wishful thinking and just did not happen. Trans in and buttoned up. The trans blanket in and adjusted. Shifter cable in and adjusted. Rear mount on and tight with the cross member. Rear end u-bolts tightened up, Cal tracs on. All ball joints greased. Oil and filter changed. Valves adjusted cold. I know i paraphrased some of this but sun is setting and its time for a frosty beverage while I watch the sun set. So Cal was a great 73 degrees today and life could not be better. :glasses7:

I switched from a 727 to a 904. The car picked up 3 tenths. I used grinner valve body and the tranny was a 1974. I was told to use '72, '73, or '74 transmission. The only problem I had in 10 years is that I broke the oil pump cogs at the finish line which happens to 727 and 904's occasionally. the car weighs 3140 with me in it, motor makes 665 hp 575 torque car runs 9.80's - 9.90's.

Ha, that´s cool. I´m at another power level for sure, but i´m planning the swap, too. Wanna loose some weight, if i can pick up a little at the strip it´s a nice benefit.....keep us updated how it works out for you!

Michael

the pan from summit that was on our 727 leaked even with the mopar reusable gasket. I threw a steal 46re pan on it.

-
Back