Your method for bleeding brakes....

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Well, I am done with my 8.75 swap in my Scamp. New Springs, shocks, front hangers, shackles, new Dr. Diff axles, 3.55 carrier, rear brake lines and hose, wheel cylinders, brake hardware/shoes, U-joints, and had driveshaft shortened by 2.25".

I searched and found a post where "Strokerscamp" advised...
"I've always found gravity bleedin works real good. Take the cap off the M/C make sure it's full, break all the bleeder screws open and go have a sammich".

Sounds good to me. How much time do you give it? I've always had someone pump the pedal hold it and break loose the bleeder.

I like to let them gravity bleed too but I dont walk away. If the resivoir should go empty I would have to start over.

I use the "suck and pump" method. I hookup a hand vacuum pump, but also open the valve while my wife pumps the pedal. She is used to the call-response by now, but hates doing it, even though with her smart phone she can stay on Facebook.

I use the "suck and pump" method. I hookup a hand vacuum pump, but also open the valve while my wife pumps the pedal. She is used to the call-response by now, but hates doing it, even though with her smart phone she can stay on Facebook.

Hilarious!

I suspect my mom is glad she had sons to take over this time honored tradition.

I put a vacuum hose on the bleeder and submerse the end into a glass jar with fluid in it. Then I crack the bleeder and pump till the bubbles stop and then retighten the bleeder.

I use my Motive Products power bleeder...I will never go back to any other method.

I use my Motive Products power bleeder...I will never go back to any other method.

X-2

Pressure bleeders play no games and force everything out, fluid, air, dirt, ex girlfriends....you name it and it keeps the fluid constantly replenished in the reservoir.
I usually don't pressurize it over 15 psi, sometimes 20 if I'm in a hurry.

Instead of the paint destroying chain tensioners to hold the pressure plate to the reservoir, I use very small ratcheting straps I found at northern tool....works so nice.

Once you go pressure bleeder, you will never go back.

I bought an air powered vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight. It's awesome. It comes with a bottle that sits upside down in the master cylinder that keeps it full of fluid while you put the vacuum pump on the bleeders and suck.

That or "pump up the pedal."

I don't care for ANY method that involves placing a vacuum on the system. Too easy for air to leak past the cylinder cups.

I made a flat plate with a quick disconnect air fitting on it to replace the master cylinder cover. Dial the air compressor to 10-15 lbs and bleed it. One person job.

And they are only a little more than a stock type bleeder valve... well worth the extra few bucks!

-
Back