Your teen age cruisin' hang outs

-
!cid_069e01c5192e$d747e3d0$0BD4B766@dodge.jpg

dog and suds....or as we call it the arf and barf

As a teenager in the late 80s I was lucky to catch the end of legal cruising in the San Jose area, which was El Camino Real in Santa Clara. The normal route was between San Tomas Expy to Lawrence Expy. It was a mixture of mini trucks, classic hot rods, newer stangs and camaros plus teens in regular cars. Different car types would hang out in different places, the hot rodders - the wienerschnitzel, not sure why. Usually the night would end with street racing about 6 miles away on Street called Ringwood - which was an industrial park which was perfect, parking lots looking down on the street. With a stop sign to start and a 1/4 mile away a railroad crossing with plenty of slow down room. Soon the "No Cruise Zone" signs appeared and increased police. That was the end of cruising for me and my charger

no cruising sign.jpg

My misspent youth was also cruising the El Camino in Santa Clara. There were so many places to hang out. The late night drags, on Ringwood, got way out of hand when full on strip cars were trailered in. 30 years later the memories of cruising the El Camino still put a smile on my face. Especially, since I still own the car I used to do it in.

Mid 1980's Dayton OH

Video arcade and Burger Boy's Hamburger Heaven (formerly Red Barn)

Both on the same 4 lane stoplight drag strip/most dangerous road in the county.

Drive in movies was a country block to the East.

Burger Boy's was actually voted best crusin' spot in USA by Car Craft magazine.

Gratiot and Woodward don't intersect... They are both north-south streets for the most part....

Don't forget about Telegraph Road also - a great cruisin spot...

Then you have Fort Street downriver for cruising...

The Woodward Dream Cruise is by the best cruise of the summer in Detroit...

krazykuda you are correct sort of! Gratiot Avenue does intersect with Woodward Street (in Clinton Township on the West side of Gratiot Avenue between 14 & 15 Mile Roads). I saw those street signs during the Gratiot cruise and had to take a picture.

I've never experienced Telegraph or Fort Street for cruising (I'm an "east sider").

I've been to the Woodward Dream Cruise since 2003 (it's where I bought my Dart GT). Our group (the Twisted Axle Car Club (check us out on Facebook)) hangs out at the Blarney Stone Pub in Berkley for the Dream Cruise. Stop by if you're in town!

krazykuda you are correct sort of! Gratiot Avenue does intersect with Woodward Street (in Clinton Township on the West side of Gratiot Avenue between 14 & 15 Mile Roads). I saw those street signs during the Gratiot cruise and had to take a picture.

I've never experienced Telegraph or Fort Street for cruising (I'm an "east sider").

I've been to the Woodward Dream Cruise since 2003 (it's where I bought my Dart GT). Our group (the Twisted Axle Car Club (check us out on Facebook)) hangs out at the Blarney Stone Pub in Berkley for the Dream Cruise. Stop by if you're in town!

Look on a map of Detroit... Woodward goes north west, and Gratiot goes north east - they don't intersect...

Gratiot starts at 8 Mile and Woodward starts downtown...

Wish you were a little closer to Downriver, your club has some really cool cars!

No Pic's but in the 60's in Greeley, Colorado the go to place was called "Dizzy Block" 8th Avenue and 9th Avenue connected by 9th and 10th Street.The place to be for three things, Fight's Date's or Race's. Burned a lot of gas there.

Look on a map of Detroit... Woodward goes north west, and Gratiot goes north east - they don't intersect...

Gratiot starts at 8 Mile and Woodward starts downtown...

Woodward Street does intersect Gratiot Avenue in Clinton Township (not Detroit).

Woodward & Gratiot Map.png

In the 90s we used to frequent Eddies Drive-In located in Harrison Twp Michigan. Small place, small parking lot, but used to bring a good crowd of nice old cars. Planning to get a few guys back there is summer. Still a nice place to go.

In the 90s we used to frequent Eddies Drive-In located in Harrison Twp Michigan. Small place, small parking lot, but used to bring a good crowd of nice old cars. Planning to get a few guys back there is summer. Still a nice place to go.

A friend of a friend owns Eddies. They are supposed to be opening tomorrow, but with covid-19 I don't know. I won't be there for a few weeks yet.

eddies_logo_sm.jpg

I grew up in Philadelphia during the 80's. We spent all week getting our cars ready for Cruising the Roosevelt mall and then heading to Delaware Ave ( the Meadows) or Front street for some racing! Great memories and made a ton of great friends!!

There used to be a small place on Gratiot Ave. in Roseville Michigan called TopHat Burgers, or something like that. They had good cruise nights there, maybe around the late 80s. That place is long gone.

There used to be a small place on Gratiot Ave. in Roseville Michigan called TopHat Burgers, or something like that. They had good cruise nights there, maybe around the late 80s. That place is long gone.

Crazy Gringo Cantina? I bet that place is a riot :rofl:

Van Nuys blvd. Van Nuys California 70'-80's
No comparison anywhere. Totally out of control, as you can see. Will never happen again like this. Fricking Insane !

View attachment 1715492837

View attachment 1715492838

View attachment 1715492840

View attachment 1715492841

View attachment 1715492842

View attachment 1715492845

View attachment 1715492846

View attachment 1715492853

several years ago they were cruising Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday nights. Is that still going?

several years ago they were cruising Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday nights. Is that still going?

Yes, they did. They used the parking lot from the old (closed down) Van Nuys Chevrolet for a meeting point. Although, not the same cruise night as the past, if you closed your eyes you could go back in time. Lasted for a little bit, hopefully they bring it back this summer.

Yes, they did. They used the parking lot from the old (closed down) Van Nuys Chevrolet for a meeting point. Although, not the same cruise night as the past, if you closed your eyes you could go back in time. Lasted for a little bit, hopefully they bring it back this summer.

Is there a web site or group that would have info

We didn't have a "go to" place necessarily. Back in the 70's we cruised University Avenue, a 6 lane 45mph. road between our next door town. Lots of stop lights and racing between the two. Years before when Uni was a 2 lane, (in the 50's and early 60's) everybody cruised 4th street. It was a 2 lane over the river between the North and South sides of town. Every year on Memorial Day weekend we have our 4th, Street Cruise. On Labor day weekend we have our University Avenue Cruise. Both attract hundreds of cars each.

university cruise 2019.jpg

4th street cruise.jpg

-
Back