Youth and muscle cars

-

Dusteragogo

Reaction score
Many people are shocked by my age and love for 50s-70s mopar's. In fact most of my friends my age could care less about cars as long as it drives that's all they care about. Is my generation and younger straying away from theses works of art? Thought?

Same situation going on with dirt bikes etc. It's gotten so expensive and there are fewer places to ride, which doesn't help either. Welcome to the board.

Happens in every hobby!! When's the last time your friend invited you over to work on your stamp collections?? What do you need a cool car for when you have Grand Theft 7??

Only those in the know realize how cool these old cars are, and with the new trend of restomod using old cars with new appointments, maybe more young people will pay attention!! My kids both love our Mopars, but neither is out in the garage helping me!! Everytime I come in, they're on their electronics!!!

to each his/her own - there are plenty of younger "car guys" on here - vive la différence. It seems to me a lot of younger folks have grown up having "it" handed to them and just don't have the where-withal to work for it - and you know you HAVE to be willing to get dirty and work for it if you want any older car.. or have DEEP pockets. The truth is though, there have always been people who enjoy getting dirty and working on old cars etc... and those who would rather not.. nothing new.

to each his/her own - there are plenty of younger "car guys" on here - vive la différence. It seems to me a lot of younger folks have grown up having "it" handed to them and just don't have the where-withal to work for it - and you know you HAVE to be willing to get dirty and work for it if you want any older car.. or have DEEP pockets. The truth is though, there have always been people who enjoy getting dirty and working on old cars etc... and those who would rather not.. nothing new.

I agree.

as I see too many of our youth too consumed with electronic make be believe games..
not enough exercise, parents that do not show them a path of work ethic. immediate self gratification. give it all " to me" now.

I think people are born with passions, maybe it love of mechanics, love of animals, love of open country, maybe love of city life and sittin on ya *** and playing electronic games.??? I also believe, that if people are never exposed to something, it can be hard for them to be able to develop an interest.

All good points, cosgig your point on electronics is huge! My 16-year-old sister can't even ride a bicycle she says she can get an app for that

I am glad to see it. Most young kids into cars today are dumbass tuner punks who don't know one end of a dipstick from another, don't know what the bill of a hat is for, don't know that a waist is to keep your pants around and think cars that sound like a continuous fart are cool. Idiots.

We have this one guy JUST like that always comin in the store askin the stupidest stuff. One day he came in askin for ZERO GAUGE speaker wire. I kid you not. I stuck my thumb out and said zero gauge is "about that big". He just stared at me.

Happens in every hobby!! When's the last time your friend invited you over to work on your stamp collections?? What do you need a cool car for when you have Grand Theft 7??

Only those in the know realize how cool these old cars are, and with the new trend of restomod using old cars with new appointments, maybe more young people will pay attention!! My kids both love our Mopars, but neither is out in the garage helping me!! Everytime I come in, they're on their electronics!!!

Pretty much describes my son to a tee. On the rare occasions we talk, he never fails to tell me about the latest car "he built".

........on his X-Box.

F'in moron.

I agree.

as I see too many of our youth too consumed with electronic make be believe games..
not enough exercise, parents that do not show them a path of work ethic. immediate self gratification. give it all " to me" now.

I think people are born with passions, maybe it love of mechanics, love of animals, love of open country, maybe love of city life and sittin on ya *** and playing electronic games.??? I also believe, that if people are never exposed to something, it can be hard for them to be able to develop an interest.

Couldn't agree more! I got into Mopar's because of my father and believe me he did not just hand me his 72 dart swinger. I had to work my little butt off to get my 74 Valaint. And I've worked or been working for them ever since.

Pretty much describes my son to a tee. On the rare occasions we talk, he never fails to tell me about the latest car "he built".

........on his X-Box.

F'in moron.

My roommate is like this! Gah! We always asking me to teach him how to wrench and when I'm out doing he gets drunk and plays gran Turismo instead haha

Well, I'm only here because my son got interested in old cars when he was 14. His friend's dad had a shop and was restoring a Nova or something. One day cruising craigslist we found a Duster and the rest is history. (I ended up dropping the Duster in favor of a Dart but that's another story.) My son doesn't work on the car as much as I do, but he spent an entire weekend with me at the hobby shop putting in a 8.25 rear, and we're about to do the front end together as well.

But I think my story is the exception, not the rule these days.

As RRR has stated, it frustrates me also to no end! Can't even have a common sense conversation with them (stereotype speaking here).

BUT............ BUT............... BUT................
Our generation had these kids, built them their games for the love of $, and through easy lifestyle we brought to ourselves we have taken away their work ethics, provided the stupid TV that Hollywood has advertised their styles of dress code in our own living rooms, it is our generation that has voted in the politicians that have put together our STUPID public schools that teach garbage including "all the kids rights" (or should we say rebellion to parents).

so..... so....... so.... is it our right to complain about what we created.... or are we reaping what we sowed.?.?.? just a question that I ask myself.........
Oh, welcome to FABO

I'm 40 so these cars are older than me for the most part. I've got old tractors too. For me it is just the fun of working on machines. Plus the fit and finish of the old cars is just better.

As far as the teen crowd now, I'm amazed at how many 16-18 yr olds aren't even interested in driving. When I was growing up you weren't getting a date without a car.

1966 Terrel Co High, Dawson, Ga., senior, Vice Principal administered punishment when ya wronged. his "paddle" was hand carved bout 3 ft long, good inch thick. a prized possession.

procedure: lean against his desk, remove everything from back pockets, spread ya legs, take a deep breathe, a lick only counted to him if he could raise you off the floor!

if parents got wind of it, they didn't call in the whoever, the kid didn't call in the law and whoever, but mom and dad simply whipped ya *** with the belt.

maybe why I limp somedays!!???? LOL ...... no, really!

but ya know, I can remember back bout late 80's I had a field of alfalfa. took days to find any h s kids to work bucking bales......lucky to find 1...... rural kids had work on their farm. the rest had NO desire to earn some $$, why.. parents gave them whatever they wanted...... wasn't even stupid video c** to blame!!!!!!

congrats to any "younger" person hat has a real work ethic, gets off their a** to do something worthwhile, and can carry their pants somewhere reasonable!!!!!

In all fairness, let me clarify that I know a lot of teens personally that do NOT fit the above stereotype that I included in my post. I know some very level headed youths, starting in my own family. Just had to be fair

I'm 53 years old and tried to get my two boys interested in cars when they were growing up. They are now 28 and 27. I didn't force them into the garage but I encouraged them. They just never got "into" cars.

It warms my heart whenever I hear of another young person taking a liking to our old gals!! We're glad you're here and keeping another Mopar alive!!

I'm 53 years old and tried to get my two boys interested in cars when they were growing up. They are now 28 and 27. I didn't force them into the garage but I encouraged them. They just never got "into" cars.

It warms my heart whenever I hear of another young person taking a liking to our old gals!! We're glad you're here and keeping another Mopar alive!!

with barbee6043 on this.

To me, and all parents nowadays it seems, the electronics phenom is the single biggest scourge of our youth today!! It is THE most important thing in a young persons life! They can talk, communicate, write, spell without spell check, and my kids are on it every minute they think they can get away with it! I end up being the azzhole because I don't stand for it, and it's the first thing I go for when I get pissed because they don't do the easiest chore they are expected to do!! Nella is a slightly different story because it opens a world for her that she may need to get a job, stay in touch with friends because she simply can't go with friends most times, and none of her friends want to come pick her up and drive the party Van!! My son, however?? He is a constant challenge, as good of a kid as he is, he would waste 25 hours a day on electronics if he could! And, he likes cars!!! Go figure!!!

my wifes brother has a pair of five year olds and they EACH have an ipad for crying out loud
THEY ARE FIVE
if these two aren't a prime example those things rot your brains I don't know what is

and then they come over and try to bring that trash into my house
no way

one of my rules is "there is no screen time when there are friends over to play with"

some people just don't care, I guess

I was born way too late.....Love old stuff, cars especially....I have a lot of passion towards the older stuff...I'm 39...2 fav movies are American Graffiti and Christine....would love a 58 Plymouth someday...bucket list car actually.....you are not alone here on this site :glasses7:

I'm also glad to see younger people interested in restoring old cars. My kids are into the electronic devices as well, but I took my 13 year old camping in the woods the other night and he started our fire with his magnesium fire starter and built his own bed out of poles and leaves that he raked up and we say by the fire and talked for along time about all sorts of things other than iPhones! It was great!!!!

I know I, myself at 22 yo spend far too much time on my iPhone and far too little time in the shop!! But what am I doing on my phone? Normally FABO or researching something for my Duster!! �� I have a PS3 that I occasionally play Call of Duty or Madden on but not too often... Doesn't help that my shop is now 20 minutes from my house and with getting our farm started I don't really have the time, motivation or money to work on my Duster.

It definitely depends on access. I was into cars as a little kid, and it faded some. I was lucky to have met my girlfriend, whose dad had classics and a lift-and-all garage. Got me back into it, and now I have my Dart. His 16yo son is building his first car with him too, a 67 Cougar. We both use electronics a lot, maybe too much, but there's kids who just wont get out there and do... anything. I'd say a lot of activities/hobbies have suffered because unless its stuck in your face, it's too easy to rely on electronics, rather than a real hobby.

-
Back