You've Got to be Joking

-

19duster74

Duster74
Reaction score
I offered my 74 Duster for sale a while back for $5000. No takers so I ended up selling it to a local guy for the same amount. He wanted a nice daily driver.

I was surfing today and came upon this:

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=238084

MY OLD CAR !!!! I don't mind him re-selling it, but, don't you think $13,000 is a bit much? I don't want to rag on the guy but the ad is SLIGHTLY exaggerated to say the least. He hasn't changed a thing, except install the side stripes that I never got around to doing.

I guess more power to him................

It is a beautiful car for sure.
Sadly, he will probably land someone who will pay him for it.

Imagine, 8K profit on a car, that he did nothing to....

Sucker born every minute, he's waiting for his.

I read it and knew that was a dealer ad before I saw it at the bottom.
Look at the words he uses. At least it wasn’t a “frame off restoration”.
No, I disagree.
Not “more power to him:”
I’m admitting I have a grudge against dealers up front. Some people would say they are killing the hobby and let it go there. But this is a perfect example of what I would point out. .
If you look at these people they will have 20 cars in their possession. No wonder people can’t find cars to buy at a reasonable price. The way I understand it that’s “cornering the market”. I hope they choke on their “inventory” if the economy tanks.

Let me briefly “share” the story of unloading an E body in 2001. I put the ad out. If someone called I told them to show me the money when they came and I would let them drive the car all they wanted to. (I didn’t want joy riders). But the price was firm before they came.
A guy shows up with a wad of cash. I tell him about the car. It’s a nice car. I have just repainted it Y3. Complete color change. No mismatch. It was a 340 car with a TA block. Today you might get the block for what I was asking for the car. He tries to lower the price. No way. As he is getting in his car to leave he tells me he is a dealer. I got pissed and would not have sold him the car if he wanted it at my price. My price was reasonable. Anyway, next guy buys it for his son no questions asked. There's a good sale.
Damn dealers.

P.S.
There may be a fine line of distinction between these antique car “dealers” and the oil “speculators” which the talking heads claim are adding to the cost of your gasoline.
Maybe not. You be the judge.

We have a dealer in this area that buys anything he can. Sprays a paint job on it, puts tires and wheels on. Then puts a price on it that no one in their right mind would pay. Of course he's a CLASSIC CAR dealer.

Well just because he's asking that kind of money doesn't mean he'll get it, it does seem pretty darn nice for the 5K you sold it for though.

We have a dealer in Langley, BC that bought a Challenger at the BJ Auction last year. If I recall, he paid $45k and had it for sale for $84k or so. Not a bad profit margin.

Did he sell it? I see cars for sale here all the time for crazy money but they don't sell.

Around the corner from my work there is a guy who buys high dollar mopars, chevys and fords. He is always flipping them and selling them and I always see him at Barret Jackson. He had an A-Body barracuda (don't remember what year i think it was a 440 red one) while back on ebay he wanted a horrendous amount for. There is always cars being dropped off there and taken away. Some nice stuff to look at but he sells them for insane amount of money. I will leave his name out of it though.

So does the thing have a 318 in it? If so, that's pretty deceptive since the title reads "340 Duster." That's like me advertising a Hemi dart for sale just because I slapped on some stickers.

Although he'll never get that much for a 318 Duster, that is one nice ride - too bad you had to sell it in the first place.

I guess my adventure with a dealer was a rare one when I bought my Roadrunner. I had been looking at prices for 3 or 4 months and had a good idea of what I would have to pay for a turn key car. I saw this car on the e-rag and followed it thru 2 lsitings without it meeting the reserve. I saw that it was a dealer so I called for a price. It was actually a few thousand less then other cars in the same condition. Since I had done my home work I knew I wouldn't do better for a very good car, so I bought it. He did give in, just a very little, on price, but over all I didn't feel ripped off. Or, maybe I was just lucky.

Me and JohnnyDart were talking about this today on the way home from surfing. A neighbor offered 15K for a really nice dart and then posted the thing in Craigslist for 25K before even buying the car. What a dick. Good thing the car was not sold to this a-hole. This stuff happens pretty regular I guess these days.

Me and JohnnyDart were talking about this today on the way home from surfing. A neighbor offered 15K for a really nice dart and then posted the thing in Craigslist for 25K before even buying the car. What a dick. Good thing the car was not sold to this a-hole. This stuff happens pretty regular I guess these days.

That takes some pretty big balls!!! What a piece of work!

It was a slant 6 car that I converted to a 318 about a year ago. It looks better in pictures than close up. It had a bench seat/column shift when I got it. I put some buckets out of a Volare in it and it has some cheapy seat covers on them. (Still Does) The interior is green, that was going to be my next project. I spray painted the door panels black temporarily.

Some of you regular members will probably remember the problems I had with the paint job - first time bubbled - last time lines in paint. Looks pretty bad when you look at it from the right angle/close-up. Couple areas in the doors/trunk that are still bubbled/primer showing through.......

Mechanically everything is great. Still has the 7-1/4 rear and drum brakes all around. A/C compressor was in the trunk (seized) and the condensor, but someone would have to get the correct brackets, pulleys, etc. to install.

I was happy with the price I got out of it, I guess because I knew what I had in it, and what it would take to finish it to my idea of "complete".

I guess it just bothers me because I would have liked to have sold it to someone who would have finished the car, enjoyed the car. He sure gave me the impression that he was going to drive it.......

I believe you got a good price for the car. A /6 car with a 318 labeled a Duster 340 Twister is pushing it. He is fishing for a buyer at that price.

I believe you got a good price for the car. A /6 car with a 318 labeled a Duster 340 Twister is pushing it. He is fishing for a buyer at that price.

Considering the Twister is a 318 car............

Heres what the "Garage kept" car looked like when I brought it home. Paint so severely baked by the Arizona sun that it was down to the primer on the hood and roof, not to mention a completely rotted interior.

Duster.jpg

Duster Engine.jpg

-
Back