Yup, another 318 thread

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 318 and 904 for my Dart Sport, My plan is for a cheap cruiser buying as many parts from members as I can.

Heres what Im thinking.

318, stock bottom and heads.
Comp Dual energy cam

Duration at 050 inch Lift 211 int./227 exh.
Advertised Duration 265 int./276 exh.
Valve Lift 0.442 int./0.462 exh.

Comp Cams camquest actually recommended the next size up but I think this once is plenty for a 318 street car.

Edelbrock Perf or Weiand action Plus
Thermoquad carb

Summit headers

904 trans - TransGo TF2, Good aftermarket converter.

8-3/4 - 391 gears, 215-70-14s

I like my cars pretty much stock looking which is why I chose my Intake/carb and tire sizes.

What do you think ? Should be a strong cruiser for pretty cheap.

Sounds like a nice combo Adam. I like the cam specs. A bit of rump-rump and should be a good torquer too. You should be able to lite'm up pretty easy with that 3:91 gear too. I can't wait to hear this one. Mike

"Mis Match"

You'll not need a converter with that cam. I ran a 218 @ 050 with a stock c-verter and 3.21's on a stock tire without issue. Your looking at a few degrees less and a verter? I say step up in cam size and be able to use the extra RPM available that the 3.91's took away from the top end.

The next size up in that cam line is 225-235 @.50" When I say a good aftermarkert converter I dont mean a 9" 4000rpm. Just something thats efficient and not 40 years old. a good 11" would be fine, Stock is probably 12"

as long as it sounds like a muscle car, rips the tires through first and bangs second Ill be happy.

Adam, I'm hobbling along on the wife's lap top here. I don't have the big one up and running. It's shot out. On it, I have/had a lot of cam sites to poke around on. I'm running on my memory (LOL!!!!!!!) and of course suffer from CRS sysndrome.

I would not run that particular cam from Comp but a different one @ no more than 220 @ 050 with the 3.21's or 228 @ 050 with the 3.91 and a stock verter. A newer and tighter verter would be nice, but, also at the same time added stall could be added for the price.

Ya know for "That Muscle Car Sound" you only need to move that centerline down to a 108 in a 318. It'll chop like a machine eating bolts instead of coffee beans.
I'm betting that the Comp was choosen because your running stock exhaust manifolds right?

Call Comp and have them adjust the centerline down.

I also still suggest to re-think the intake duration vs. the gear ratio and tire size combonation. IMO, you'll run out of RPM quickly and have a limited top end and cruise speed. It'll be a hoot light to light in your area, but not much else IMO.

I picked up a 318 and 904 for my Dart Sport, My plan is for a cheap cruiser buying as many parts from members as I can.

Heres what Im thinking.

Comp Dual energy cam

Comp Cams camquest actually recommended the next size up but I think this once is plenty for a 318 street car.

Thermoquad carb

Summit headers

I like my cars pretty much stock looking which is why I chose my Intake/carb and tire sizes.

Sounds real close to my cruiser. Only differences, I went with the comp HE268H, spreadbore intake from a 340 and 3.55's. I have not changed the converter either, I'm running stock at the moment. It does run good.

If you do any amount of freeway driving, those 3.91s with 14" tires are gonna get on your nerves pretty quick, You'll be turning over 3000 rpm & still get passed by everyone.

318, stock heads, you will make more "useable power" fro a cam with a shorter EX duration. Done it too many times.

Also, the weiand action plus is the most horrible AF Ratio per cylinder I have ever seen. Performer isn't that great either.

Theyn again, if it was me, I would run a Marine single plane, or street dominator, because the small ports also run better with the small single planes.

IMO

Before you settle on over the shelf comp, maybe call ISKY and talk to Rod?

If you do any amount of freeway driving, those 3.91s with 14" tires are gonna get on your nerves pretty quick, You'll be turning over 3000 rpm & still get passed by everyone.

I drive literally a 1/4 to work. Its an around town cruiser, Not much freeway driving around here.

318, stock heads, you will make more "useable power" fro a cam with a shorter EX duration. Done it too many times.

Also, the weiand action plus is the most horrible AF Ratio per cylinder I have ever seen. Performer isn't that great either.

Theyn again, if it was me, I would run a Marine single plane, or street dominator, because the small ports also run better with the small single planes.

IMO

Before you settle on over the shelf comp, maybe call ISKY and talk to Rod?

again, on the cheap, The comp kit is $350 with springs, retainers, lifters and a chain and a single plains not going to look very stock.

Im not looking to ring out every bit of power here and in my experience single planes and small block arent the best match for street cars.

I think the cam's fine for what you're talking about. No "need" for a convertor but I see your point. I like the Mancini Racing convertors.. Cheap and they do what they say. I have a few intakes, including an iron 318 Marine. Personally, find a 318 Performer and call it a day. I had a similar 318 with X heads and stock iron intake that I ran for several years. Passed emmisions back then too with the Comp High Energy 268H.

I think the cam's fine for what you're talking about. No "need" for a convertor but I see your point. I like the Mancini Racing convertors.. Cheap and they do what they say. I have a few intakes, including an iron 318 Marine. Personally, find a 318 Performer and call it a day. I had a similar 318 with X heads and stock iron intake that I ran for several years. Passed emmisions back then too with the Comp High Energy 268H.
X2.. I have a Mancini 11" converter in my car, so far it seems to be working fine, it wasn't very expensive either, stalls @2500.

That cam is real similar to the speed pro I had in the 340 214/224 .443/.465. Runs really well and I'd install it in on a 107-108 ICL. If compression ratio is low, twist it forward even further as long as the exh doesn't end up in no-mans land.

A bit of converter, like a 2500-2700, isn't a bad thing.

Grab a performer 318/360 and grind the script off of it. Looks a bit like a stocker.

Be a good combo, maybe even 9's. :)

The last cam I ran is similar to the speed pro you listed @ 216/228-/.454-.480/-112 Smooth idle, but the power range was 1500 to 4500 red line @ 5G. Stock stall and tire w/ 3.21 gears. High 14 sec car. It did include headers. Does Adams car have headers?

Adam? Exhaust manifolds or headers?

Rumble the larger cams specs are
275DEH
275 284
219 235
.462 .482 110°

I like that combo! It's pretty similar to what I had in my 74 Duster,but I had 3:23 gears. With the 3:91's it's gonna be a torquey stop light bandit with some neck snappin launch capability! Put some decent size tires on back with a sure grip and you'll have enough grip for that teen. I sure do like this kinda motor,as it has great street manners,is decent on fuel and yet fun to drive. I've had my share of 318's,and loved every single one.

Heres what Im thinking.

Comp Dual energy cam

Thermoquad carb

Summit headers

That will work fine, like you said...it's a cruiser but with pep.
It will still have the pulling power too.imo

The gear is max'd,, but will do the stop light trick no problem.

I wouldnt even bother spending over 200 on convertor either, a rebuilt cut for high stall would be real nice and make leaving line 'instant', like 2200-2400 stall would be great...that just so happens to be what a rebuilt cut for high stall convertor will stall at with a mild 318.

It's an auto with spread out gears....so it wont be like you're having to up shift in a blink of an eye.

With the heads typical flow ratio, the only way you'd really need more exh dur is if you were running manifolds, the header is gonna scavenge some by itself and pull it out.

Anyone who has run a low mile bone stock 318 knows they are pretty decent to start and leave the comparable 350 2brls/even some 4brls in the dust....so what Im saying is...knowing that....then add headers/cam/intake/carb/gear....uhh....yeah, it will work nicely.

If you said you wanted a street strip 318, then it be a diff story and we could talk 'bigger this and that'.

it can be hard for some people to stay focused.lol...we begin with looking at cams and start dreaming ...., pulling miles out of that 'inch of rope'...so to speak.lol

With the heads typical flow ratio, the only way you'd really need more exh dur is if you were running manifolds, the header is gonna scavenge some by itself and pull it out.

Thank you.... Wildandcrazy is nice to have around, a voice of reason.

All the longer EX duration is doing in this combo is sacrificing low end punch...... And isn't that what stock converter stoplight to stoplight 318's are about?

IMO, there really isn't a great tailor made 273/318 cam...... I know the Comp is cheap, buuut.... a 220-224ish duration, 440ish lift 106 or 108 lobe center same on both sides cam would give it the bbBBWAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! off the line, choppity chop for sound like Grumble said, and get good MPG's at highway speeds if you so wish. (at 3000rpms)

I know it will run "just fine", just like the 114* 340 cam does in a stock 318. Everyone says the 340 cam in a 318 runs "just fine", but to me? why have "just fine" when you can have "freakin' stout"? I always thought the 340 cam in a 318, or even a 340 for that matter, ran fairly, well, lame. WHat you have is a little tighter than the 340 camlobe to lobe, but still..... Just leaving a lot on the table for a small inch punchy stoplight wanderer.

For COMP, (I guess, cough cough) call Chris Padgett, 1-800-365-9145

I'd stick adams cam choice in stright up, it's not big enough to worry about advancing for low end.

On a side note, I ran the 340 cam in my 318 w/4* advance...cause it needed it.

I'd go with about a 3.55ish gear and a converter around 2,000 and the Performer over the Action + for the cam you are using...

Edit: car is kinda on the light side so a lot of stall and gear won't be necessary.

I'd stick adams cam choice in stright up, it's not big enough to worry about advancing for low end.

On a side note, I ran the 340 cam in my 318 w/4* advance...cause it needed it.

I ran an erson .444 lift cam in a teen that seems very similar in specs.

I'd go with about a 3.55ish gear and a converter around 2,000 and the Performer over the Action + for the cam you are using...

Edit: car is kinda on the light side so a lot of stall and gear won't be necessary.

Its a 75 with a fold down rear seat, buckets, console, power steering and brakes. Its probably close to 3500-3600lbs

I will probably end up using the performer because I can easily find a used one.

An ActionPlus or Performer will be fine for a budget build. One question nobody asked is what year is your 318? Compression ratios are different on earlier engines than later engines from what I understand?

Here's a 318 setup that is peppy and fun to drive in a heavy no options Coronet 440 2dr.

68 318 stock heads and bottom end with a 184k miles
Summit K6900 cam and double roller timing chain
Summit Cheapie Headers
Edelbrock 1406 electric choke carburetor
NGK Plugs and Mancini Racing Distributor
Weiand Action Plus 8007 intake.

8.75 rear with 2.76 gears and stock convertor and 904 transmission stock.

Best time is 15.2 at 92 mph with 14" wheels and tires.

-
Back