ATTENTION 318 owners: any interest???

-
So, you have a 318 truck you are going to enter????? Can I add your name to the list????

Let me think about it. I'm not really digging going out and beating on my truck.

Now, if you'd let me beat on my wife's Durango (with the 4.7) I'd do that because if I break it, it won't piss me off as bad. Or, I could just run my car and take about 4 seconds in hits.

Please explain like you are talking to a 6 year old. As I have not raced since August of 1972. Dial index is what?
I am able to race on March 17, April 7 or May 12. Is there any problem with this schedule? Or must I go sooner
August of '72???? Alright! Lov'n it :)
Anyways, the answer to your questions:
  1. Your pass can be made anytime in 2017, so your fine. In fact, up here there is snow on the ground and our strips don't even open till April.
  2. As far as "Dial Index", it will be the time you need to run against the penalty box. Go through each line and if it applies, then add or subtract the tenths from the 15.9 that we all started with. if needed, I will be happy to walk through it with you to help you get your time.

Last edited:
Let me think about it. I'm not really digging going out and beating on my truck.

Now, if you'd let me beat on my wife's Durango (with the 4.7) I'd do that because if I break it, it won't piss me off as bad. Or, I could just run my car and take about 4 seconds in hits.
It Won't hurt that 318 in your truck :D
What year of truck? 4x4? 727?
I took my '01 Ram with a 360 in it to the strip, with about 230, *** miles on it. That was over a year ago, didn't even phase it.......

It Won't hurt that 318 in your truck :D
What year of truck? 4x4? 727?
I took my '01 Ram with a 360 in it to the strip, with about 230, *** miles on it. That was over a year ago, didn't even phase it.......

89 4x4 with a STICK. If I broke my truck I'd probably cry. I said when I bought that thing it was the last car I was buying (I only bought one more). UGH!

Rub it in, woke up to snow covered ground, and salt trucks a plowing ...
V6 truck??

It's 2016 Ram 5.7 3.91 gears 8 speed automatic. Single cab. I'm telling ya this thing is bad ***. I got there but it was so busy I said heck with it. Had a blast though. Seen a few Mopars. I am not impressed at all with the new 5.0 Stangs.

Hey 318willrun how you like that summit k50052 cam? I'm thinking of ordering one of my car ever makes it out of the transmission shop. Lol. It's been there like 2 weeks.
Here is the vacuum on it..... I've had a lot of questions on the cam....
And the 318 I'll be entering in the race :D :D

89 4x4 with a STICK. If I broke my truck I'd probably cry. I said when I bought that thing it was the last car I was buying (I only bought one more). UGH!
I understand. It's up to you. I personally don't think you would hurt it, especially if you went a little easy on the clutch out of the hole. Only need one pass.... It was made to pull a horse trailer, so that 318 if it's stock isn't stressing much on that truck.
again, up to you.

It's 2016 Ram 5.7 3.91 gears 8 speed automatic. Single cab. I'm telling ya this thing is bad ***. I got there but it was so busy I said heck with it. Had a blast though. Seen a few Mopars. I am not impressed at all with the new 5.0 Stangs.
you are correct, they really move on out.

What if I show up with an X block and have the X removed? Stock stroke, but at minimum a 4.03 bore?

How would you police that?

Well, don't remove the "X" on account of this race..... LOL ! Nobody is going to inspect your car anyways, it's an honesty system.

Sounds like the same old chit & issues I had while trying to organize the "Freindly on the cheap competition" thread I made.

Not only did I get the "How so I know" and the "How is checking" questions but I also got "What is the buy in?", "What's the payout?", " Are sponsored cars OK?" And 1 dipshit asking if it was a legal NHRA event & where is it held?"

Endless arguments of what should be legal, why they think it should be legal with excuses of, "Well that's what we all did back in the day so it is legal in my eyes screw you!" Tudes from non participating people.

Last edited:
I am interested. But find it to hard to see it get going.
I can get set up for next year. I'll have a friendly 1 on 1 with you.

Make a set of general rules for friends to use as a guide line. Leave it at that.

Is this track only or street/strip style?
I'll build according. And without undo expenses like dropping in a new fully customized low gear set trans and a 4 link rear suspension.

Just basic stuff for the most part.

I'm in but how bad you going to beat me up for a 340 with a SD and Slide-A-Link?

EDIT: and an X block. I don't want to grind the numbers off. 4.04 bore.
See 318YR, this right here.
Your thread title is for 318's and YR is playing joker already.

I have no doubt this 318 race will happen. We have a good crowd signed up of really good people. I'm sure some might disappear, but I think most of us will make a run and post it. I also think enthusiasm will build as this moves forward. Once the salt gets washed off the roads, I'll get my car over to the scale, and start the race thread with my car being the example.
I think the penalty box and standings will make this very fun. How can you beat the likes of a stone-stock Plymouth Satellite Wagon competing and with a Barracuda with a built 318 and 3.55's..... or a Durango competing with an early A .... :)
....... And a guy signed up and is excited because he hasn't raced since 1972!!!!.... but wants to get his 318 Duster to the track.....

No...I was ASKING if I could get by with an X block because technically it's a 318. Technically. I could have left it at 3.910 or even 3.970 and it would be a 318.

So, I was getting a clarification. Plus, I think I'd get hammered by 5-6 seconds per the rules if I ran my combo, even if it was a 318.

No...I was ASKING if I could get by with an X block because technically it's a 318. Technically. I could have left it at 3.910 or even 3.970 and it would be a 318.

So, I was getting a clarification. Plus, I think I'd get hammered by 5-6 seconds per the rules if I ran my combo, even if it was a 318.
Technically, it's not. The block is bored @ 3.91. That's it. The stroke it f the crank that gets dropped in finishes the math to engine size.
Admitting it is overbored further proves that it is just a wanker post. Asking further pushes the proof.
Your could have left it at 3.91 is moot.
The over bore over 3.91 to 3.94
& the 3.31 crank works out larger than 318. The rules allow an overbore, but it is not a 318 no matter what you do.
It doesn't matter what the block was born wand th or marked as.

If such was the case, th n adding a 4/0 arm and what ever overbore the block takes, and in some cases, a 4.0 bore can be achieved, would be OK.

How is a 4.0 X 4.0 a 318?
Outlandish? Not by your written thinking previously displayed.

The thread title and general idea of the thread and it's intended purpose is clearly shown early on.

How big is an4.7 in cubes?

No worries, not picking on you.

Technically, it's not. The block is bored @ 3.91. That's it. The stroke it f the crank that gets dropped in finishes the math to engine size.
Admitting it is overbored further proves that it is just a wanker post. Asking further pushes the proof.
& the 3.31 crank works out larger than 318. The rules allow an overbore, but it is not a 318 no matter what you do.

If such was the case, th n adding a 4/0 arm and what ever overbore the block takes, and in some cases, a 4.0 bore can be achieved, would be OK.

The thread title and general idea of the thread and it's intended purpose is clearly shown early on.

I don't do metric so I have no idea how big a 4.7 is.

I have a 318 stroke. Thought maybe 318WR would just hit me for an extra over bore. You have to ask.

Keep in mind, this "X" block 318 deal was exploited quite well buy some grudge racer guy on here....I still laugh when guys try to use his car as a gauge for "318" performance...

I don't do metric so I have no idea how big a 4.7 is.

I have a 318 stroke. Thought maybe 318WR would just hit me for an extra over bore. You have to ask.
I have no problem with you asking. As explained earlier, I didn't want to make a penalty box for it all (360's/383's/440's/new hemi's, etc). Just a place where true street 318's can play, in street form, no power adders.

Please, guys, this thread has been real clean, and I think this race is going to be a success. Let's not argue. The rules are plain. If you have a 318 that fits, then we would like to have you join.
Thanks, 318willrun
Read my post #139 again. We're excited!

A possible way I could get in...
'69 - 318 long block into my '79 Magnum back by a '70 - 727, new 3.55 gears. Headers, true dual.
Nothing in the drive train is OE.

How does that have me sitting?

A possible way I could get in...
'69 - 318 long block into my '79 Magnum back by a '70 - 727, new 3.55 gears. Headers, true dual.
Nothing in the drive train is OE.

How does that have me sitting?
Sure! :welcome: Nothing has to be OE. My entrée is not OE (factory slant '74 Duster with a '76 318 now). Just has to be a 318 true street car with no power adders (NOS/Boost/race fuel). And raced in street form (no slicks, open headers) and street gas (93 octane or lower).
Can we count you in???

I am getting the feeling that i am going to be the slowest one of the whole event.

Even still, i will be the proud of the old Brady bunch hauler lol

Mopar or no car :usflag:

I am getting the feeling that i am going to the slowest one of the whole event.

Even still, i will be the proud of the old Brady bunch hauler lol

Mopar or no car :usflag:
I really like your entrée!! And I think your about 5000-6000 ft above sea level, plus that wagon is heavy, so you'll get a lot of time...... which could make you the winner :)

Rani, never worry about how you will do vs. the field. Break the cherry on the car and record everything. Make one change at a time and record it. This is building your book. Learn from it. Whittle down the E.T.'s and bump up the speed one step at a time. Learn what works and what didn't.

Your working on your cars avilify and your own at the same time. I miss self have very little track time. Loads of Street time. Two different worlds at the line. And a lot of Street time is already ether from a roll or at speed.
AKA; Already travel at Hwy. speed.

318WR, I can not currently commit for sure.

-
Back