1/4 mile time with factory fuel injected 5.9

-

mopar65

Reaction score
i will be putting a 5.9 in my dart sport soon I hope. I am wanting to take it to the track once in a while. I really want to race it with the factory FI. I am buying a huges roller for it off a friend. But don't remember the cam specks right now. My goal is to get it into the mid to high 11 for now with the FI and overdrive trans. So with that said what will it take to get me there? Also sorry if this is a dumb question. I have been a big block guy the last 10 years. Lol

i will be putting a 5.9 in my dart sport soon I hope. I am wanting to take it to the track once in a while. I really want to race it with the factory FI. I am buying a huges roller for it off a friend. But don't remember the cam specks right now. My goal is to get it into the mid to high 11 for now with the FI and overdrive trans. So with that said what will it take to get me there? Also sorry if this is a dumb question. I have been a big block guy the last 10 years. Lol
That's gonna take a stout small block....

That's gonna take a stout small block....
Really? I ran 11:60 with a junk yard 440 in my 65 Plymouth B-Body. But if mid 11 are out of reach, how about low 12. If I have to I will put a carb intake etc on it

Really? I ran 11:60 with a junk yard 440 in my 65 Plymouth B-Body. But if mid 11 are out of reach, how about low 12. If I have to I will put a carb intake etc on it
Well keep in mind the 5.9 magnum was only about 230-240 horse and 300ish ft lbs. and it had a roller cam in it to begin with. A more aggressive roller cam and some headers will help it breathe but you're gonna be limited by the factory injection set up. 12s would be easy but mid to low 11s will probably take spray or more than an intake/carb/cam depending on your set up

Well keep in mind the 5.9 magnum was only about 230-240 horse and 300ish ft lbs. and it had a roller cam in it to begin with. A more aggressive roller cam and some headers will help it breathe but you're gonna be limited by the factory injection set up. 12s would be easy but mid to low 11s will probably take spray or more than an intake/carb/cam depending on your set up
Thanks for the info. I have been out of the game for a few years and the last time was messing with big blocks.so looks like it's learning time again.lol

Well, the 5.9 Magnum stock is probably around 325HP using the old SAE gross rating, so figure accordingly.

I'd say if you're going to keep the EFI and drag race it, you need to replace the "keg" intake manifold. Either try and find an old M1 EFI intake, or get the Hughes magnum Air-Gap.

I'd say if you're going to keep the EFI and drag race it, you need to replace the "keg" intake manifold. Either try and find an old M1 EFI intake, or get the Hughes magnum Air-Gap.
heads , heads, and more heads.

Heads,rear Suspension, money, and time,lotsa time. Unlock the secrets.
Or just buy a crate engine,
Or get an engine from one of the FABO supporting builders. Drop it in and get started!
Don't forget about the front suspension, steering,and brakes; especially since you are gonna run street.
If you are gonna run 4.30s on the street, try and run a 2.45 low tranny, cuz with the 2.74 low, first gear will be nothing but a tire-fryer. Even the 2.45 will want an early shift.
Happy motoring!

Last edited:

I have been looking for a intake to replace the factory one. Can't beleave there is not much available for the 5.9

Heads,rear Suspension, money, and time,lotsa time. Unlock the secrets.
Or just buy a crate engine,
Or get an engine from one of the FABO supporting builders. Drop it in and get started!
Don't forget about the front suspension, steering,and brakes; especially since you are gonna run street.
If you are gonna run 4.30s on the street, try and run a 2.45 low tranny, cuz with the 2.74 low, first gear will be nothing but a tire-fryer. Even the 2.45 will want an early shift.
Happy motoring!

The car is pretty much set up for racing allready. Has disc brakes on the front etc. I am going to run the overdrive trans. I should have to worry about traction problems at least for now. Lol the car has 29.5x13.5x15 M/T ET drag slicks on it. But going to get some 315x60/15 M/T drag radials for the street

I ran my 100% factory FI 5.9 ......
16.70's is what it ran...
in a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 :D

I have been looking for a intake to replace the factory one. Can't beleave there is not much available for the 5.9

Not much needed. Grab the four barrel m1 for efi if you need it, or drill the heads for la intake.

-
Back