10 inch clutch stock 273 small bellhousing

-
I asked the seller about dimensions. I have stumbled on 10" applications for the 273 but I don't think they will fit. We'll see if anyone responds to this post.
Mike

I e-mailed about the measurement of the pressure plate bolt holes straight across center to center and its the same as mine.

Here is his note from them that I copied and pasted

You are correct. We measured the bolt holes on the clutch in this kit and it is 10-5/8" on center.

I put a 10" kit against the temp engine (318 ) I put in the dart. It has the original 273 Flywheel and Belhousing from my 273. Not sure if the 4bbl car had a different flywheel than the 2bbl car.

It used the outer bolt holes on the flywheel. If I Remember right, The pressure plate did overlap the outer edge of the flywheel a small amount. Not enough to hit anything.

Brute Power 90308 Clutch Kit

10 5/8" is what my flywheel measures. Is it a true 10" disc? According to the description it is. I will order one and see what I get. Free shipping to me so if it doesn't work I can send it back and all I will be out is the shipping. I have a 9" disc on a 9 1/2" pressure plate now and it slipped pretty bad. The prev. owner had teenage kids that abused it pretty bad. We'll find out in a week or so when it comes. Mike

The 10 1/4" slant 6 van clutch assembly will fit the early 273 flywheel. That's what I use.
Thanks, Mark

Everybody that has posted on this subject has said that after replacing the bellhousing and using a bigger flywheel and a 10.5" clutch they didn't have any more problems. The 10" unit has got to be better than the old oily 9 incher I had in before.

I have the 10" clutch kit in my 68 318 Dart, the disc is good, I had a local clutch shop swap to stiffer springs and add another set in the pressure plate but otherwise it's fine, can't beat it for the price.

I'm not sure if it would hold up to 300hp and sticky tires, I'm only making 250hp or so with hard radials so it just spins the tires in 1-3rd gear.

Will that clutch handle 300hp ?
Don't know for sure but it handles my 235 HP just fine so I have no reason to believe it won't. I have mine built by a local clutch rebuilder and I have them stiffen up the pressure plate a bit by adding some more springs. It's fine for the street but I can't guarantee it will hold up to drag racing.
Thanks, Mark

Everybody that has posted on this subject has said that after replacing the bellhousing and using a bigger flywheel and a 10.5" clutch they didn't have any more problems. The 10" unit has got to be better than the old oily 9 incher I had in before.
Using the '68-up bellhousing and flywheel adds a whole new set of problems as you then have to modify or make some clutch linkage parts.

I ordered one.

Toolman,
I was reading the May issue of Hot Rod and there is an article on the McLeod RST dual-disc clutch. On the McLeod site it indicates it has one for a 1966 Dart, 273, with a small diameter flywheel. Very pricey but might be worth it if it's for the strip.

How about ordering one of these and doing a product evaluation for us? Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind/size head gaskets are you going to use on the 273? Have you found any for the small slugs?
Alan

Toolman,
I was reading the May issue of Hot Rod and there is an article on the McLeod RST dual-disc clutch. On the McLeod site it indicates it has one for a 1966 Dart, 273, with a small diameter flywheel. Very pricey but might be worth it if it's for the strip.

How about ordering one of these and doing a product evaluation for us? Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind/size head gaskets are you going to use on the 273? Have you found any for the small slugs?
Alan

To Alan and all, I got my clutch in today. It looks good and it fits the small flywheel. As far as I can tell, it's a new clutch and not a rebuilt. It also comes with a pilot bushing, throw-out bearing and a alignment tool. It also has "Made in USA" stamped on the disc facing. (A good thing to see) $138.99
and free shipping. I am not far enough along to make sure it fits under the stock cast bellhousing but it looks good so far. Alan, I didn't find any small bore head gaskets but I did find some Mopar Perf gaskets that are .024? thick. I have a cc kit and I will measure compression ratio to see which gaskets to use. The Fel Pro Perma Torque's are around .050 compressed. I did take .030 off the heads to make up the difference but I don't want to build too much compression into it. I will keep you posted on my engine build
thread.

clutch kit 003.jpg

clutch kit 004.jpg

clutch kit 005.jpg

clutch kit 006.jpg

clutch kit 008.jpg

To Alan and all, I got my clutch in today. It looks good and it fits the small flywheel. As far as I can tell, it's a new clutch and not a rebuilt. It also comes with a pilot bushing, throw-out bearing and a alignment tool. It also has "Made in USA" stamped on the disc facing. (A good thing to see) $138.99
and free shipping. I am not far enough along to make sure it fits under the stock cast bellhousing but it looks good so far. Alan, I didn't find any small bore head gaskets but I did find some Mopar Perf gaskets that are .024? thick. I have a cc kit and I will measure compression ratio to see which gaskets to use. The Fel Pro Perma Torque's are around .050 compressed. I did take .030 off the heads to make up the difference but I don't want to build too much compression into it. I will keep you posted on my engine build
thread.
Who did you order this clutch from and what is the part number?

I bought a complete 10" setup from autozone and it fit my "9 1/2" flywheel. I took my flywheel right into the store and just lined it all up.

thread.

So your next challange is starter alignment. I think the stock bellhousing is narrower than the 10 1/2"

So your next challange is starter alignment. I think the stock bellhousing is narrower than the 10 1/2"

Not a problem. The new clutch fits on my old 9 1/2" flywheel. I will use my original bellhousing and starter. I could never figure out why Mopar put a 9 1/2" clutch on a flywheel that could accept a 10" clutch. Aparently they couldnt fit
a bigger bellhousing in a early A. Mike

Working great! I haven't side stepped the clutch at 3 grand yet but it feels strong. toolman

-
Back