10's on $5,000 ?

-
So you're wanting to build an entire car to run 10s for 5K? Why not dump 5K into your present car and see how fast you can make it?
Just thought it would be fun to see if I could buy something, build it and all for 5 grand - goal would be 10.9 but who knows, may run a 11.9... LOL

Just thought it would be fun to see if I could buy something, build it and all for 5 grand - goal would be 10.9 but who knows, may run a 11.9... LOL

But it's the same thing since you already bought your car. There's no difference.

But it's the same thing since you already bought your car. There's no difference.
The biggest difference would be the price of the Duster would knock the budget of 5k right off the shelf.

I believe it's a father /son project he had in mind.
Yes, the biggest driver behind this

Food for thought. A Dodge Ram 50/Plymouth arrow 2WD pickup (Mitsubishi Mighty Max) roller would barely tick over 2000 lbs. I’ve seen some mild small block drag versions click off 10s all day. It may bend your self imposed rules to the limit (and no doubt the track rules after the first run), but there is no doubt it could make the number happen.

Food for thought. A Dodge Ram 50/Plymouth arrow 2WD pickup (Mitsubishi Mighty Max) roller would barely tick over 2000 lbs. I’ve seen some mild small block drag versions click off 10s all day. It may bend your self imposed rules to the limit (and no doubt the track rules after the first run), but there is no doubt it could make the number happen.
I've been looking at D50's...... :)

The biggest difference would be the price of the Duster would knock the budget of 5k right off the shelf.

Yes, the biggest driver behind this

Ok, you clearly don't understand so forge ahead! lol

Well, good to know I’m not the only one, people just want them gone out of their yards here anymore. With a $100 vehicle investment in what amounts to a cracker box on wheels, I think you could probably do the number under budget. Maybe not safely but I know it would be capable.

Ok, you clearly don't understand so forge ahead! lol
I clearly understand, my friend! I may end up using a Duster, never know. Just thought it would be fun to scavenge up a car and build it on a budget

Well, good to know I’m not the only one, people just want them gone out of their yards here anymore. With a $100 vehicle investment in what amounts to a cracker box on wheels, I think you could probably do the number under budget. Maybe not safely but I know it would be capable.
very, very few D50 around here. the rust belt and "Cash for Clunkers" pretty much deflated a lot of our cars of yesteryear

I clearly understand, my friend! I may end up using a Duster, never know. Just thought it would be fun to scavenge up a car and build it on a budget

Well it's 100% your sandbox....and I like it. I for one think you can do it. Whether you buy a whole nuther car or not.

Finally, somebody understands my madness.... :D :D
:thumbsup:

I grew up watching and LOVING Modified Eliminator so when I started drag racing, my immediate deal was shifting at 8500 and using a clutch.

I figured it had been done long enough that it shouldn't be that hard. Dam I'm dum.

I found out most guys THINK they shift up there, but their Sun tach had enough needle whip that they were shifting at maybe 7200.

Learning how to get an engine to live at 8500 was one thing. Getting it to make power up there is a whole 'nother nightmare.

So I have my share of smashing my head into a wall for decades.

Ok, were dealing. Starting to look like the 440 Duster may become a reality …… hold on tight, were trying to work things out.

Heard it run... sounds like a stock 440. It's a '73 motor. I think somebody dropped a stock 440 in it. Motor sounds good, though.

Ok, were dealing. Starting to look like the 440 Duster may become a reality …… hold on tight, were trying to work things out.
Here’s how I’d do it....... provided the pics are a reasonably accurate indicator of its condition.....rear frame rails aren’t all rotten, etc.

That car, and $2k...... 10’s.
Any amount less than $3k you bought the car for could be added back into the $2k you could spend on the car.
But, even if you paid the full $4k...... you’d still have a $2k allowance to spend on it.

For that particular project nothing you did to make it “street legal”(lights, wipers, etc) would count against the total cost.

Last edited:
Here’s how I’d do it....... provided the pics are a reasonably accurate indicator of its condition.....rear frame rails aren’t all rotten, etc.

For that particular goal nothing you did to make it “street legal”(lights, wipers, etc) would count against the total cost.
I just got a tour of the car by video, and heard it running, gauges working, etc. I think this will be mine, but we are working on travels....

Any amount less than $3k you bought the car for could be added back into the $2k you could spend on the car.
But, even if you paid the full $4k...... you’d still have a $2k allowance to spend on it.

For that particular project nothing you did to make it “street legal”(lights, wipers, etc) would count against the total cost.

Progress!!!
motor purred and idled like a '73 New Yorker... Hmmmm…. LOL I don't think the engine in it's current state is looking at 10's. But we shall see. Maybe 730 dollar heads and a 220 dollar cam will get it there?? LOL

I don't think the engine in it's current state is looking at 10's.

Maybe a “before” track test is in order.
Change the oil, make sure the other fluids are good...... brakes good, etc...... off to the track for a quick test “as is”....... see how far you have to go for a “10”.

I passed on similar duster last year in La, but it was all there street legal, run pretty decent for $3000. I say bargain himdonw $500 or so and go. (Easy spending your $$$$ !!)

-
Back