11 sec. build cost?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
After helping a friends dad build a vega for the strip I began wanting to start my own race project. I already have a 73 swinger with a 360 that has all the standard bolt ons like rpm intake, 650 carb, headers, cam, converter, and 8 1/4 with 3.55's. I really do not want to cut up my dart and turn it into a race car just because I have had it since I was 15. What would be the cost of building a new car that would run 11's? I am thinking a small block would be the easiest way to go but I wouldn't mind having a big block. Minus say 2000 for the cost of the car.

That is to wide and varied to nail down an exact cost due to;

Regional pricing
Machine work needed for every part purchased or re-worked
Cost of parts. Forged vs. cast and grade of the part
Exact parts used
Re-engineering (AKA stroking)
Extra parts that may not be needed but may have merit.
IE; oil cooler, new/larger cooling system

I suggest to everyone that has an ride this quick, IF you have your receipts, chime in.

As a side note, when co-workers or family/friends etc... As how much for a done car like I have, I say as much as a new car. Just a little cheaper.

While that extremely in general sentence leaves room for more questions, a lot has to do with every aspect of the car and your desires for the car.

Is a cheap radio OK or do you want a serious blow the doors off the car system? The difference is 4K or greater in a stero alone. So they stop and think for a while.

From top to bottom...Depends how much work you do yourself....My transmission work was done for free....I do my engine build..All I paid for was parts and machine work...10-15k sounds like good range top to bottom paying for everything.

I think if you just want a race car,buy one already done that someone has lost interest in or just needs the money.Likely much cheaper that way. Just my 2 cents.

Cost..going to depend on how much of the required parts you have on hand vs having to purchase the required parts. Also you need to look at mission creep ...you start want to go 11.90s...then next you want to go 11.40s....11.90 does not require roll bar...11.40s does..

One way to get started is to buy someone else unfinished project......or a race car...usually can get a pretty good deal on those...but a lot more up front money...

I bought a 71 Duster back in November...and converting it to a bracket racer....doing all the work myself...initial performance is shooting for low 12s since the person driving it has never raced...I need to make a decision in a couple of weeks whether to put a roll bar in the car now or later...I have all the interior out of the car now...

so you kind of need to look at the big picture....what is my long term goals with this car...you don’t want to have to do thing twice...

also look for 67 - 72 A bodies..they are lighter ..

One thing...i would look for a Duster before a Dart....tire clearance in the rear is a lot easier with a Duster...

I'd look up the build of LXguy's dart. IMO thats as budget built as you're gonna get and it does 11.6s on an all steel car with a stock magnum 360 + big cam.

I based my build on his car with a few exceptions.

After helping a friends dad build a vega for the strip I began wanting to start my own race project. I already have a 73 swinger with a 360 that has all the standard bolt ons like rpm intake, 650 carb, headers, cam, converter, and 8 1/4 with 3.55's. I really do not want to cut up my dart and turn it into a race car just because I have had it since I was 15. What would be the cost of building a new car that would run 11's? I am thinking a small block would be the easiest way to go but I wouldn't mind having a big block. Minus say 2000 for the cost of the car.

No need to cut up an A body to run 11s...or 10s...or 9s for that matter. Just build a strong motor for your dart, and get cal-tracs/mono leafs.

If you're dead set on leaving your Dart as-is...best bet is save your cash and buy a car that's already been built.

No need to cut up an A body to run 11s...or 10s...or 9s for that matter. Just build a strong motor for your dart, and get cal-tracs/mono leafs.

If you're dead set on leaving your Dart as-is...best bet is save your cash and buy a car that's already been built.

8-10k for motor (having someone build it)
2k for suspension (rebuilding your front end and going cal tracs)
1-2k transmission (having someone build it)

then tires, wheels,rear...

The only thing keeping me from turning my dart into a 11 sec. is that I really like driving it around. I don't drive it anywhere more than 10 miles away usually but I drive it a few times a week. I am graduating from college in May though and am hoping to get a little cash for that. So my options are pull the motor out and put new flat tops in it and some heads and maybe bore it out and put it back in the dart and see where I am at with that. Or look for a cheap mopar maybe even a roller that someone started to turn into a race car and just build another drive train. I am pretty sure the transmission I have in the car now would be fine for 11 second passes, I might up the convert and add a reverse valve body but it already has a B&M flexplate and 3000 rpm convert in it now.

X3,that car is a steal! Nice paint,chassis and drive train sorted out. That is a jump in and go ride,hours and dollars ahead.Nice find,Tony.

If I was not living off ramen and canned foods I would haha. That is a really nice car but I am looking for something a little rougher. A roller would be ideal since I have never welded on anything important and am more into motors. As far as building a motor would cost how much would it cost to get some old J heads opened up and the rest of the machining involved. I can put together the rest. I can not wait to get out of school and hopefully get a better paying job. Someone needs to pick this car up though...if I didn't live so far away I would at least go look at it.

Maybe a little mild N02 kit on the 73'. Might not be 11's, but you can get a fix until the pure racecar comes to be....:D.

If I was not living off ramen and canned foods I would haha. That is a really nice car but I am looking for something a little rougher. A roller would be ideal since I have never welded on anything important and am more into motors. As far as building a motor would cost how much would it cost to get some old J heads opened up and the rest of the machining involved. I can put together the rest. I can not wait to get out of school and hopefully get a better paying job. Someone needs to pick this car up though...if I didn't live so far away I would at least go look at it.

If money's tight just enjoy what you have, do minor tweaks here and there to get more out of it. There's alot of potential in tuning that most ppl overlook. Get the most you can from the least invested - pretty much been my motto since I started in cars.

That's what I have been doing since I was 15 haha. I am starting to think about life with a real job and getting excited. I have been reading the 12 second combos and see how close some of them are to eleven and how cheap it would be to go that way. I think some kb 107's, eddie heads and some big gears could get me down there. Maybe ditching the bench seat and puttin it on a diet.

X3,that car is a steal! Nice paint,chassis and drive train sorted out. That is a jump in and go ride,hours and dollars ahead.Nice find,Tony.

these guys got alot of mopars....

they had a very nice 71 Dart for sale..I forgot they had it...but looks like it has been sold...the rear suspension was all tubbed and spring moved in and cal tracs...sold pretty cheap too...

"Speed costs, how fast do you want to spend?"

Unless you are looking for a dedicated race car, you should really consider just working with what you have now. A second street car has indirect costs for insurance, plates, maintenance, etc. A dedicated race car needs a trailer, tow vehicle and insurance should be considered.

As stated, 11.50 makes a pretty natural cut between street car and race car. Sure, street cars can run quicker, and race cars can be driven on the street. But at 11.50 you are quickly compromising your street manners. You'll need 4.10 or deeper gears, slicks or DOT drag tires (short street life), safety equipment, and creature comforts like heater, wipers, back seat and such usually go away. Chassis tuning for street handling and drag strip performance is diverging at this level.

The Duster in Vegas looks like a fair deal. It's a factory 340 car so the body has some value. But it has been tubbed and 4-linked which hurts the value for restoration, and is probably overkill for a, 11 sec car. That chassis will support more power down the road so it's a package that can be grown into. $30K invested? Maybe, but it could be done for less.

What does your car run now? Do you race it regularly? Is that your goal?

$1000 should get you onto the track with 4.10 gears, a set of slicks and subframe connectors. Add another $1000 electric fuel pump, a Holley 3310, and a 150 HP plate type nitrous system.

-
Back