11 sec. build cost?

-
I didn't make the runs in the my dart. I drove my dads mustang. Yea I realize now its possible its just going to take a lot of money and sort of be a long term plan.

I pulled the guy out of this car in 09 at Woodburn drag Strip at the Pinks Arm drop Live.
He ran over his own oil.

P7030783.jpg

It doe's happen.
Every part has a duty cycle.

So what does it run now?

My whole point was...maybe you can just do some tuning and a couple parts swaps and get there pretty much as it is. I think many here have proven you can have a very streetable 360 A body that runs 11s.

I didn't make the runs in the my dart. I drove my dads mustang. Yea I realize now its possible its just going to take a lot of money and sort of be a long term plan.

You don't know how much time and money it will take until you do a base line........ GET A ET. SLIP.:burnout:

Calm down gentlemen, Januaries are not exactly the best time to be at the tracks in Ohio usually. To bad I don't have my dart at school or else I could run down to Bristol...or is that closed in the winter as well?

I will say this- if the car is a street car, you will have more fun with it when it runs 12's then if it runs 11's, 10's, or even 9's...yes the speed is fun and addicting, but a good solid 12 second car can be VERY low maintenance, and a total blast to drive both on the street or strip.

Good luck with the build!

I will say this- if the car is a street car, you will have more fun with it when it runs 12's then if it runs 11's, 10's, or even 9's...yes the speed is fun and addicting, but a good solid 12 second car can be VERY low maintenance, and a total blast to drive both on the street or strip.

Good luck with the build!

Hey, are you saying my 10 second street car is no fun :p

Seriously though, if you build it right, you can have a fast car that is relatively low maintenance, but you can't go all super cheap and expect it to survive. I drive my Cuda all over town...sometimes I drive it to the strip and leave the truck & trailer at home. My friends think I'm nuts when I do this, but when I ask them why they think I'm crazy their answer is "well, my car can't do that". I have always kept my car street legal, and street-able.

http://motolenzphotos.com/dragracing/Mopar-Cut/P2Street-Trophy/IMG_7535.JPG

Hey, are you saying my 10 second street car is no fun :p

Seriously though, if you build it right, you can have a fast car that is relatively low maintenance, but you can't go all super cheap and expect it to survive. I drive my Cuda all over town...sometimes I drive it to the strip and leave the truck & trailer at home. My friends think I'm nuts when I do this, but when I ask them why they think I'm crazy their answer is "well, my car can't do that". I have always kept my car street legal, and street-able.

http://motolenzphotos.com/dragracing/Mopar-Cut/P2Street-Trophy/IMG_7535.JPG

lol im looking to go 10's myself this year, and even faster on the hose.

All I am saying is that when my car was a 12 second ride, I filled it up with 87 octane at any gas station, had no fear about driving it the 2.5 hours to the track airing down the tires and beating the snot out of it, or driving it anywhere, including in the rain, to school, to work....As the car gets faster though I still enjoy it, but you are monitoring things more- instead of blasting the stereo the whole time im always turning it down like every 30 seconds while im listening to make sure there ain't no weird sounds, while biting my nails looking at every gauge LOL...and I would never try and drive it to the track anymore, if for anything the crazy gas bill for a 2.5 hour highway drive on 94 sunoco.

All im saying is sometimes simple and slower is more worry free...yes speed is fun, but it does come at a price for most of us...I think the guy should just work with what he has, enjoy it, and when he really gets the itch, build something faster

Excellent words by the shread, how true that is!

...As the car gets faster though I still enjoy it, but you are monitoring things more- instead of blasting the stereo the whole time im always turning it down like every 30 seconds while im listening to make sure there ain't no weird sounds, while biting my nails looking at every gauge LOL...

HAHAHA, Oh so VERY true!!! This is totally me as well...I'll be driving, the wife will be talking to me and all of the sudden I say Shhhhh!!!! My ever so understanding and patient wife will pause, knowing I'm listening to some random squeak or rattle...lol!

Make yourself a plan(sounds like your intelligent & have one already- that's a major plus), save up your money as best as you can & then watch for deals. This site is full of them in the classified section. Ebay- ehh, but they're out there. Craigslist is worth watching & then there's the old fashioned way of scouring the swap meets for good parts. My point is stick as best as possible to your plans & keep watching for deals & be prepared to strike fast! You would be surprized how much you can save by buying smart! Build a combo that works well together. One that's designed to operate & compliment itself in the desired RPM range.

Oh, And stay away from girls until it's done!! Nothing distracts you more from finishing a car than the ladies do! Lol!

HAHAHA, Oh so VERY true!!! This is totally me as well...I'll be driving, the wife will be talking to me and all of the sudden I say Shhhhh!!!! My ever so understanding and patient wife will pause, knowing I'm listening to some random squeak or rattle...lol!

LOL! Dude, the shhh thing is me exactly when the girl friend is riding in the car LOL...wow, thats too funny...and yes, she is used to and doesnt mind me interrupting her to listen closer to things I hear...good to hear im not the only one who does it

I cant turn the stereo down in my dart lol...I was looking at ways to cut weight when over the winter and pulled it out along spare, and jack. Before I took my stereo out though I often found myself turning the volume knobb down on the stereo thinking somehow it would make my car not so loud. I would always answer the phone and reach straight for the volume knob even though the radio was not on. I got all the built sheets on excel finished and it looks like for the build I want its going to be about 4 grand. Hopefully going to swap meets can take a some off that. BTW there is a all mopar swap meet at the ohio state fair ground on feb. 23 if anyone is near that. I am making the 4 hour drive from school to try and hunt down some brakes and other random crap I really don't need.

I cant turn the stereo down in my dart lol...I was looking at ways to cut weight when over the winter and pulled it out along spare, and jack. Before I took my stereo out though I often found myself turning the volume knobb down on the stereo thinking somehow it would make my car not so loud. I would always answer the phone and reach straight for the volume knob even though the radio was not on. I got all the built sheets on excel finished and it looks like for the build I want its going to be about 4 grand. Hopefully going to swap meets can take a some off that. BTW there is a all mopar swap meet at the ohio state fair ground on feb. 23 if anyone is near that. I am making the 4 hour drive from school to try and hunt down some brakes and other random crap I really don't need.

Scour the classifieds too, and even want ad's to possibly trade stuff..Also, when I first got into this game I was 19, and alot of the older guys respect a young guy getting into the hobby and will sometimes help you out. I also would sell everything I don't need i.e. spare tire and jack, I sold them...You end up with alot of stuff gone, but you gotta fund the addiction somehow right?

Nowadays though I find myself keeping more parts because I want to have some spare stuff laying around should I ever want to make the excuse of putting another car together lol

I got a corner in my garage that is already getting full of extra parts. All the older guys who live around me and race are eager to help me out a lot with anything on my car. I even had a Vega racer helping me with the intake swap, and my neighbor who is a Ford guy helped me put the converter and flex plate in. All their kids were big into cars in highschool when when college came around they sorta gave up on it.

After helping a friends dad build a vega for the strip I began wanting to start my own race project. I already have a 73 swinger with a 360 that has all the standard bolt ons like rpm intake, 650 carb, headers, cam, converter, and 8 1/4 with 3.55's. I really do not want to cut up my dart and turn it into a race car just because I have had it since I was 15. What would be the cost of building a new car that would run 11's? I am thinking a small block would be the easiest way to go but I wouldn't mind having a big block. Minus say 2000 for the cost of the car.
Depends on how clever you are it could be very cheap,but most I see at the track spend way to much to run as slow as they do.

-
Back