12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
So the SPC arms worked good with the coil overs? What spindle/brake setup are you running?
I had to shorten the SPC adjuster sleeves and studs. I'm using the tall ball joint Denny supplies with his UCA. The spindle is a mustang 2 replacement spindle that uses the C5/C6 corvette hub and brake.

Thanks for the update. I'm curious about your thoughts relative to your previous setup once you really have a chance to lean on it.

I had to shorten the SPC adjuster sleeves and studs. I'm using the tall ball joint Denny supplies with his UCA. The spindle is a mustang 2 replacement spindle that uses the C5/C6 corvette hub and brake.
Good to know! That was the only complaint the guy who did my alignment. Even on the alignment rack/lift he had a real hard time getting at the adjusters. I’m getting the upgraded set of uca’s from Denny this weekend and will be seeing if his tip/trick of installing the adjusters straight up and down works on my car

Good to know! That was the only complaint the guy who did my alignment. Even on the alignment rack/lift he had a real hard time getting at the adjusters. I’m getting the upgraded set of uca’s from Denny this weekend and will be seeing if his tip/trick of installing the adjusters straight up and down works on my car
I find it works best to install the OEM adjusters with the adjuster head on the insides pointing out.

Finally feel like I'm making some forward progress with 5.7 engine assembly. The Holley cast pan is a quality piece, I was pretty impressed. The best thing about it, it went on without having to modify anything. I did have to procure the main cap stud that holds the pickup since I have an engine out of a car. My understanding the truck engines have this stud already. Fortunately my local dodge dealer had one in stock.

View attachment 1716098999

View attachment 1716099000

View attachment 1716099001

The power steering pump was pretty nasty from being bare aluminum, so I took it apart to bead blast the housing. While I was at it, I bought a rebuild kit from Rock Auto. Note that it is a "Toyoda" part and it is fairly known that the pressure output can be adjusted by getting the regulator valve from various Toyota cars. Rock Auto didn't show a rebuild kit under the charger section, but did under the Toyota section. For $10 I took my chances. All of the seals in the kit were a perfect match for the pump. I'll be hitting up my local junkyard to get the pressure valve out of a "Yoda".

View attachment 1716099006

View attachment 1716099007

Hey Joe and @HemiDenny,

My brother had problems with the Holley swap pan on a ControlFreaks setup with interference between the oil pan and rack. Is that going to be a problem with the HDK or does the Holley swap pan work?

My brother ended up going to the Milidon rear sump road race pan to clear the rack and keep decent ground clearance. The OEM truck pan was too deep even though it gave adequate clearance to the rack.

I know the HDK kit and ControlFreak's kit are different, only pointing it out just in case.

Hey Joe and @HemiDenny,

My brother had problems with the Holley swap pan on a ControlFreaks setup with interference between the oil pan and rack. Is that going to be a problem with the HDK or does the Holley swap pan work?

My brother ended up going to the Milidon rear sump road race pan to clear the rack and keep decent ground clearance. The OEM truck pan was too deep even though it gave adequate clearance to the rack.

I know the HDK kit and ControlFreak's kit are different, only pointing it out just in case.
Before I put the HDK in the car, I mounted the rack to it and put the G3 mounts on it flipped the motor over on the stand and set it on there. Looked like it may work ok.

If it does it would be good news. I have always used the Milodons. I was thinking the Holley was too deep at the front of the sump. I would like to be wrong on this one.

Quick update, I'll come back with more details. I don't know my final position in grand champion, but I was 12 out of 63 total autocrossers including late models and trucks. I was 6/20 of the vintage cars on autocross and .9 seconds away from 3rd place in vintage. I was finally getting the feel for the car after making some suspension and shock adjustments and it rained on us. I had a good run going and warm brakes and cold tires don't mix, so I blew through some cones and threw the run away.
I was 4th in 3S. Pretty much everyone got their fastest time on the first run which was on cold tires and brakes. It started raining by the second run.

Last edited:
If you're keeping up here, you'll know I showed up at Moparty with an untested front suspension and little knowledge of adjustable shocks. I started with the lowest setting of the "race" setting for the front shocks and the loosest setting on the rear sway bar. I quickly realized the were too tight, or the rear bar was too loose. I dropped the shocks a click on each and it seemed better. It was a cool morning so track temps weren't conducive to going out hard on the first couple runs. When we finished the morning session, I tightened the rear bar up one step. It seemed better in the afternoon session with continuous improvement. I borrowed someone's tire pyrometer and temps were within 2 degrees across the tread, so my alignment and tire pressures appear to be dead on.
Drag racing on day 1 was slippery. First two runs I spun all of first gear only getting a 13.0. The last run, I bypassed the burnout and slipped the clutch, but it spun again as soon as it got moving. Ended up with a 12.7 at 112. The 60' was a 2.0. Last year they had some prep on the line and my best 60' was 1.8.

On day 2, I decided to move the rear sway bar to the tightest location and put one more click of rebound in the front shocks. This time, it was a cloudy morning and very cold track. I managed to get my best time that morning and was starting to gain some confidence. Unfortunately, the warm brakes and cold track caught up to my aggressiveness in the last turn and I locked them up. I do feel like that was my cleanest and fastest run to that point, but I'll never know.
It started raining at the beginning of our afternoon session so i knew I wouldn't better my time. While it is kinda fun to autocross in the rain, I'd rather drive on a gripped surface. Drag racing was cancelled for us that night.
In previous years, I'd load the car up to head back to the hotel. This year, I just left the truck at the track and drove the car around town for dinner/grocery store runs. That is way more fun!
I've been having a hard time describing the difference in the suspension and my "crew chief" described it using hand motions which obviously can't be conveyed via words. Being an electrical engineer, the way I can describe it is, the suspension used to be analog, and now its digital. The movements are much more positive and firm.

If you're keeping up here, you'll know I showed up at Moparty with an untested front suspension and little knowledge of adjustable shocks.

Hmm...I missed that along with the coilovers, you gained adjustable shocks. What shocks were you running before?

Wonder how much of an impact the shocks made to how the suspension feels/handles.

I've been having a hard time describing the difference in the suspension and my "crew chief" described it using hand motions which obviously can't be conveyed via words. Being an electrical engineer, the way I can describe it is, the suspension used to be analog, and now its digital. The movements are much more positive and firm.

Sounds like it is time for a TikTok video. :lol:

Joking, not a fan of the platform. :D

Hmm...I missed that along with the coilovers, you gained adjustable shocks. What shocks were you running before?

Wonder how much of an impact the shocks made to how the suspension feels/handles.

Sounds like it is time for a TikTok video. :lol:

Joking, not a fan of the platform. :D
I was previously running the non-adjustable Hotchkis shocks, which were great. Double adjustable is incredibly different and I'm a huge fan. I want some for the back now! Obviously, it introduces another item to tune, but I'll figure it out eventually.

I forgot to mention the sounds that came along with the hand motions. That made it even better... lol The moral of the story is, if a passenger can feel a difference, then there really is one.

If you're keeping up here, you'll know I showed up at Moparty with an untested front suspension and little knowledge of adjustable shocks. I started with the lowest setting of the "race" setting for the front shocks and the loosest setting on the rear sway bar. I quickly realized the were too tight, or the rear bar was too loose. I dropped the shocks a click on each and it seemed better. It was a cool morning so track temps weren't conducive to going out hard on the first couple runs. When we finished the morning session, I tightened the rear bar up one step. It seemed better in the afternoon session with continuous improvement. I borrowed someone's tire pyrometer and temps were within 2 degrees across the tread, so my alignment and tire pressures appear to be dead on.
Drag racing on day 1 was slippery. First two runs I spun all of first gear only getting a 13.0. The last run, I bypassed the burnout and slipped the clutch, but it spun again as soon as it got moving. Ended up with a 12.7 at 112. The 60' was a 2.0. Last year they had some prep on the line and my best 60' was 1.8.

On day 2, I decided to move the rear sway bar to the tightest location and put one more click of rebound in the front shocks. This time, it was a cloudy morning and very cold track. I managed to get my best time that morning and was starting to gain some confidence. Unfortunately, the warm brakes and cold track caught up to my aggressiveness in the last turn and I locked them up. I do feel like that was my cleanest and fastest run to that point, but I'll never know.
It started raining at the beginning of our afternoon session so i knew I wouldn't better my time. While it is kinda fun to autocross in the rain, I'd rather drive on a gripped surface. Drag racing was cancelled for us that night.
In previous years, I'd load the car up to head back to the hotel. This year, I just left the truck at the track and drove the car around town for dinner/grocery store runs. That is way more fun!
I've been having a hard time describing the difference in the suspension and my "crew chief" described it using hand motions which obviously can't be conveyed via words. Being an electrical engineer, the way I can describe it is, the suspension used to be analog, and now its digital. The movements are much more positive and
Have you noticed much difference in terms of steering feedback, maybe small bumps and divots in the road feel different?

Final results are in!!

I got 4th overall! I was 5th last year so I'm happy with the progress on an untested setup. I do want to point out that the 2 challengers ahead of me are on 315s square, and the superbee is on a 275 in the front. As a reminder, I'm have a 235 tire on the front of my car. Also, the car I tied with is a Challenger on a viper chassis with a hellcat engine. If I only had more HP to go faster in the 1/4......

Have you noticed much difference in terms of steering feedback, maybe small bumps and divots in the road feel different?
The rack makes the steering quicker than the Borgenson box. I also think it feels firmer than the Borg box and doesn't have the dead spot in the middle. As far as bumps in the road, it doesn't really seem any different.

The rack makes the steering quicker than the Borgenson box. I also think it feels firmer than the Borg box and doesn't have the dead spot in the middle. As far as bumps in the road, it doesn't really seem any different.

What’s the ratio of the rack? 12:1?

I got 4th overall! I was 5th last year so I'm happy with the progress on an untested setup. I do want to point out that the 2 challengers ahead of me are on 315s square, and the superbee is on a 275 in the front. As a reminder, I'm have a 235 tire on the front of my car. Also, the car I tied with is a Challenger on a viper chassis with a hellcat engine.

Nice Job!

Sounds like it is time for a 315 square setup.

:lol:

Just looking up some of the cars ahead of you, any idea if the Superbee ended up getting a COC? Found an article where he was running the QA1 k-frame and Hotchkis TB's but said he was going to add the QA1 coil overs for the 2023 Moparty.

Comparing your autocross times to the 3 cars ahead of you makes me think you were running right with the #2 and #3 cars. The #1 car seemed to have the field covered though.

I see some cars further down the list. Looks like Jared made it with his Demon. He kind of went dark on his channel after loading up for LSFest, so glad he at least made it there.

I've seen Brian Uccello's car on FB, looks like a nice ride.

And Peter Bergman was there. Looks like he couldn't get a drag strip run in, much like several other competitors.

If I only had more HP to go faster in the 1/4......

G3! G3! G3!

Come on! Chant it with me!

:rofl:

I know, you are making good power and a G3 isn't a guaranteed increase in power. Just ribbing you.

The rack makes the steering quicker than the Borgenson box.

Any idea what ratio your rack has? The Borgeson box is 14.5:1, I think.

Edit - Blu beat me to it!

I really don't know. However, it is 2.5 turns lock to lock, where the Borg box was 3.5 lock to lock.

The factory 16:1 box should be ~3.5 turns lock to lock, the Borgeson box should be just over 3 turns lock to lock as it's supposed to be 14:1.

If you're currently at 2.5 turns lock to lock that would mean the rack is about 11.5:1 all things being equal. But the distance lock to lock may not be the same for them, which would mean it's not a straight ratio like I'm using to do the math. I know one of the complaints about the racks is that in this application they allow for less steering angle. I thought most of them were 12:1, but I could be wrong.

Nice Job!

Just looking up some of the cars ahead of you, any idea if the Superbee ended up getting a COC? Found an article where he was running the QA1 k-frame and Hotchkis TB's but said he was going to add the QA1 coil overs for the 2023 Moparty.

Comparing your autocross times to the 3 cars ahead of you makes me think you were running right with the #2 and #3 cars. The #1 car seemed to have the field covered though.

I see some cars further down the list. Looks like Jared made it with his Demon. He kind of went dark on his channel after loading up for LSFest, so glad he at least made it there.

And Peter Bergman was there. Looks like he couldn't get a drag strip run in, much like several other competitors.

G3! G3! G3!

I know, you are making good power and a G3 isn't a guaranteed increase in power. Just ribbing you.

I am planning to move to a 275 square setup at some point next year.

I do feel like I could have done better on the autocross with a couple more laps, but the rain prevented that. The number 1 car has won every year. It's a father son duo that are obsessed with winning- it almost seems like they aren't even having fun. It's a gutted car with a high compression 440. It is a well sorted car.

The yellow superbee is on QA1 coil overs now. He's a nice guy too. I did notice his car is tail happy, not sure why. Maybe he like drifting...lol

I spoke with Jared Pink- nice guy. Unfortunately, someone told him to use the Mopar circle track leaf springs and we all know how that ends up. He said he battled very bad wheel hop at LS Fest so he had some type of spring helper on it at Moparty. He said he might try to do a triangulated 4 link swap before Ford Fest since he has an extra week. Dude is way more tenacious than me!

Brian's car is very nice and he's a great guy. We parked beside one another in the paddock. People were mistaking his car for mine and vice versa.

I also had the pleasure of talking with Peter a lot. He's really great guy. Unfortunately, he had an alternator failure, which made him miss the drag race on Friday and drag racing Saturday was cancelled due to rain.

I'm not sure why some of the others didn't drag race, unless they did and didn't bother turning their slip in.

Nice Job!

G3! G3! G3!

Oh and that AAR Cuda in 6th is on a Speedtech chassis with a Redeye engine. He told me he did the Texas mile with it - went 185mph, then the motor let loose... ooof

I was one of the guys without a time slip from the strip. My car was running like crap at wot Friday so my best time just broke into the 15’s. After a thorough carburetor cleaning Thursday night and a fresh tank of gas Friday night didn’t fix the issue, I discovered that, like an idiot, I’d timed my distributor with the vacuum advance hooked up and didn’t have enough timing in it. The car ran flawlessly Saturday, but like Tim said, our time on the strip was canceled due to rain, so I didn’t bother turning in my time slip from Friday.

Oh and that AAR Cuda in 6th is on a Speedtech chassis with a Redeye engine. He told me he did the Texas mile with it - went 185mph, then the motor let loose... ooof

Yikes!

Looks like you had him pretty well outclassed on the autocross, Speedtech chassis or not.

That Omni looks to have been pretty fast though.

Yikes!

Looks like you had him pretty well outclassed on the autocross, Speedtech chassis or not.

That Omni looks to have been pretty fast though.
That omni is cool. It lifts the inside rear tire in the tight turns. Comical to watch. Dodge's version of the miata.

-
Back