15x10 fitment on non-tubbed Duster

-

I totally forgot about the Daisy 200's. So uch better looking than the Cragar S/S and TT, imo. I'm looking at their offerings now. Thanks for the idea.

15 x 10 200s has 3 3/8 BS if my memory serves me correct. They ,IIRC, made them in magnesium. Rocket wheels the 'injectors' might be a period correct...although spendy. I think the 'injectors' on back and the 'ignitor' or 'launcher' on front could be Day 2...ish

I had no problem installing 295/50-15s on 4.5bs 10s into the rear of my lowered 68 Barracuda.
After I moved the springs over with the offset kit, and stood the tires up in the tubs, I just measured the distance between the mounting surfaces and ordered up a corresponding banjo and axles. I ordered mine a tad short in case I had to offset the diff either way; so I have have a couple of spacers installed . Nothing rubs no matter how badly I abuse her.
That's in a 68 Barracuda.
I thought the Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports, and Barracudas all had the same tubs, .......
BTW
those same tubs accepted 325/50 15s by banging out a few highspots on the inner tubs and trimming the lips. They are good in a straightline; but I can't fly around the turns any more, with them on.

BTW-2
When the rims get that big, they are awful heavy. And you feel that weight with every bump in the road. I swapped off the steel wheels in favor of alloys, which were about half the weight.
Keystones are even heavier than my Wheel Vintiques Rallys, which are now in the BFG-DRs. On the car are vintage kidney-slot Ansen knock-offs, oh yeah; ET-IIs

Another thing about the 295s is, that in order for them to wear evenly, I have to run the tire-pressure down at 24psi. This causes the rear to steer a lil funny, as the sidewalls roll under. It surprised the chit out of me when I first experienced it. But I grew to rather like it. Lightweight alloy wheels and 24psi, is a very pleasant combo for a streeter.
The contact patch of a 275/60-15 is about the same tho, and I ran those at 28. But they didn't have enough sideways rubber to keep me out of trouble. But they were pretty good in the point and shoot.

Last edited:
I had no problem installing 295/50-15s on 4.5bs 10s into the rear of my lowered 68 Barracuda.
After I moved the springs over with the offset kit, and stood the tires up in the tubs, I just measured the distance between the mounting surfaces and ordered up a corresponding banjo and axles. I ordered mine a tad short in case I had to offset the diff either way; so I have have a couple of spacers installed . Nothing rubs no matter how badly I abuse her.
That's in a 68 Barracuda.
I thought the Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports, and Barracudas all had the same tubs, .......
BTW
those same tubs accepted 325/50 15s by banging out a few highspots on the inner tubs and trimming the lips. They are good in a straightline; but I can't fly around the turns any more, with them on.

BTW-2
When the rims get that big, they are awful heavy. And you feel that weight with every bump in the road. I swapped off the steel wheels in favor of alloys, which were about half the weight.
Keystones are even heavier than my Wheel Vintiques Rallys, which are now in the BFG-DRs. On the car are vintage kidney-slot Ansen knock-offs, oh yeah; ET-IIs

Another thing about the 295s is, that in order for them to wear evenly, I have to run the tire-pressure down at 24psi. This causes the rear to steer a lil funny, as the sidewalls roll under. It surprised the chit out of me when I first experienced it. But I grew to rather like it. Lightweight alloy wheels and 24psi, is a very pleasant combo for a streeter.
The contact patch of a 275/60-15 is about the same tho, and I ran those at 28. But they didn't have enough sideways rubber to keep me out of trouble. But they were pretty good in the point and shoot.
4.5 backspace for the 8.25 rear comes too close to inner fender. 8 3/4 rear a bodys have a wider width so 4.5 backspace fits well.

Too close is better than not close enough; you can always run spacers.
But my method didn't care, the rear end was not in the car.
A while back another member installed wheels with 4.5 backspace and the tire ended up tight up against the leaf springs! Also were touching inner wheelwells so they would not even turn!!

Ok it seems my post was a tad ambiguous so here it is again, edited for clarity.
After I moved the springs over with the offset kit, and stood the tires up in the tubs, EDIT; the empty tubs with no rearend in the car. I just measured the distance between the mounting surfaces and ordered up a corresponding banjo and axles. I ordered mine a tad short in case I had to offset the diff either way; so I have have a couple of spacers installed . Nothing rubs no matter how badly I abuse her.

Hope that clears it up.

4.5 backspace for the 8.25 rear comes too close to inner fender. 8 3/4 rear a bodys have a wider width so 4.5 backspace fits well.
Yep.

From "An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list" thread
A-BODY
  • '66-'72= 52 5/8”
    • BBP 7.25/8.25 = 51.5”

The 8-1/4" is about 1" more narrow than the 8-3/4". My newly acquired 15x10 (4" backspace) wheels fit satisfactorily with a spring relocation and wheel opening trimming. Would probably not work with stock spring location and untrimmed wheel opening (at least with the 295/50-15's).

If you have an 8-3/4" it is 1" wider so the 15x10 would need a 4.5" backspace for the same fitment.

-
Back