18 or 23 spline with 440?

-

Resto

Reaction score
Hey, i'm converting a 74 swinger /6 904 into a .60 over 440. Even though the 18 spline A833 is called the hemi Tran, I've heard that anything over 383...especially 426 and up should use the 18 spline. Its this completely true? This car is going to be a showroom car with the ability to kill it at the strip as well. Thank you for any insight to this.

on street tires, either will live forever, on slicks the 18 spline is stronger, but can be broken....

Ok. I've heard so many sides. Do they make 18 spline for a bodies?

You can also take a B/E body trans, and swap the output shaft and extension housing to the A body stuff. A good B/E 18 spline is gonna set you back quite a bit though

passon performance has the both. i would go 18 if you plan on running at the track or have stick tires... also its a good idea to run an aluminum flywheel to help ease shock on the trans

Don't worry about getting an 18 spline until you start launching so hard that your front tires are leaving the pavement.

The only thing an 18 spline will give you on the street is the ability to have this conversation:

Bob: I have a Corvette 327.

You: Hell, that's nothing, I have a Hemi 4 speed.

The 23 spline will take that all day with out any worries. I was running a 23 spline with 620hp for a few years with no issues. Now im running a 18 spline with 750hp with no issues so far.. Don't waste the money on building an 18 spline for only 450hp.

I like to find an a833 with the low first gear.

I have the 308 low first gear in my 4 speed. I like it. It worked well behind my warmed over 318. But now I'm putting it behind a 408 stroker with much much more torque, not sure how it'll act once that happens. probably be a real short first gear shift.

The 23 spline will take that all day with out any worries. I was running a 23 spline with 620hp for a few years with no issues. Now im running a 18 spline with 750hp with no issues so far.. Don't waste the money on building an 18 spline for only 450hp.

Ok..that's cool. I'm building for a client so ultimately its their call...i'm just trying to do a little research on these 833s.

on street tires, either will live forever, on slicks the 18 spline is stronger, but can be broken....

absolutely correct. although there is always someone that says 18 splines will hold anything that can be thrown at them. me and my wallet beg to differ. lol

absolutely correct. although there is always someone that says 18 splines will hold anything that can be thrown at them. me and my wallet beg to differ. lol

right... our proshifted 833 in the Mr. Norms dart lost 3rd (go figure) first time out...

What's a normal price for just the 18 spline Tran used?Rebuilt and needing rebuilt

I'd say that's about right for one in need of being rebuilt.

Rebuilt, assuming the cost is in typical wear parts, slap labor and price of a rebuild kit on top, granted your gears, case and other hard parts are in good shape, which is usually not the scenario.

$1500 will get you into a set of new gears.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 23 spline on a street car. We have a 23 spline behind a 426 Hemi in a '70 superbee on street tires, no problem.

You don't need 18 in an A body with 450ish HP/TQ.

I'd say that's about right for one in need of being rebuilt.

Rebuilt, assuming the cost is in typical wear parts, slap labor and price of a rebuild kit on top, granted your gears, case and other hard parts are in good shape, which is usually not the scenario.

$1500 will get you into a set of new gears.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 23 spline on a street car. We have a 23 spline behind a 426 Hemi in a '70 superbee on street tires, no problem.

You don't need 18 in an A body with 450ish HP/TQ.

must be something wrong with your hemi then... :glasses7: just kidding we know the non stick tires help!

hemi 4 speeds arn't cheap, your chance of spending less than a grand on a decent trans is slim. and the chances of finding one with the A body back end is real slim. shoot for the 23 spline, then you can always use the main shaft and tail shaft on a 18 spline later.

-
Back