1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
DSCN1149.JPG
Well I took last year to work on my 73 Norton. Now I am back on the wagon. Gas tank work, either new tank or get this one cleaned and powdercoated. Installed the goofy trim parts on the rear quarters today, What were they thinking? Need to paint front frame rails before installing K Frame and front suspension. Mopar Frank visited a few weeks ago, got me wanting to finish the old girl.

Did a little more this weekend. Gas tank got to rad shop, he said it's ok so it's at the powdercoaters getting a decent silver color. The eastwood galvanizing looks like crap. Got the NOS taillights and lenses put together and installed. Makes the rear look pretty cool. Next is the engine compartment need to fix some chips from the vandals and get some better color on the front frame rails.
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5468.JPG
IMG_5469.JPG

Picked up gas tank today. Need to double check sending unit, and get some other parts together.
IMG_5470.JPG
IMG_5471.JPG

I had a sock for the fuel sending assembly but it is loose on the tube, need to find one that fits tight. Worked on the tank strap bolt. I have (had) a repro unit that galled up when I went to attach the strap. So I dug up the original one, and man, no wonder it didn't hang right! So I am going to use the original one.
IMG_5474.JPG

Well it's been way too long between posts, but I am back to work on it.
Here is where I am at today.
I have been challenged to get the wagon to MoKan in the spring and Clay City next fall. Maybe..
Head has been shaved .100, new valves, new 340 springs, rocker arms ready.
Transmission at JTT in Midlo, 2.77 low gear, deep pan, etc, should work well.
66 273 Carter rebuilt and working on linkage.
Steering column being reassembled with new parts and paint.
I bought a coupler kit from erenbergh on ebag, but only used the rubber seal and metal cover.
The dogs and SS clip are wrong for a 62. Oh yea, looked a week for the old coupler.
Never found it, so I took another off a spare shaft.
Fender splash shields off to Detroit Muscle to reproduce.
Steering box in blast cabinet, but air compressor sucks, need a new one.
More to come...
IMG_7242.JPG
IMG_7255.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG
IMG_7281.JPG
Steering Coupler.JPG

Got the starter today from Rock Auto, going to see how a 170 does with a Hyper Pak and the exhaust manifolds. Started cleaning the steering wheel tonight. I guess just clean it, fill the small cracks with jb weld, sand, paint, and get one of those rubber grippy wheel covers.

Got the starter today from Rock Auto, going to see how a 170 does with a Hyper Pak and the exhaust manifolds. Started cleaning the steering wheel tonight. I guess just clean it, fill the small cracks with jb weld, sand, paint, and get one of those rubber grippy wheel covers.

Been working to much here lately. Got the wheel filled and I hope during this short Christmas break I can get a lot of the engine done and ready to install.
Wishing everyone a Happy and Safe Christmas Holiday and New Years.

You've come a long way since 2010 with your resto...I give a lot of credit for staying focused on it for 7 years...Keep at it, looks like its a 'sweet wagon'!

Thanks, it has been a long journey. But that is life right?
Been insulating the garage doors the past week, ben cold in DFW.
Picking up air cleaner and trans inspection cover from powdercoater Friday.
Then to trans man to find out when it will be ready.
Stay tuned, its going to been done as soon as I can.

Thanks, it has been a long journey. But that is life right?
Been insulating the garage doors the past week, ben cold in DFW.
Picking up air cleaner and trans inspection cover from powdercoater Friday.
Then to trans man to find out when it will be ready.
Stay tuned, its going to been done as soon as I can.

As the owner ( or does it own me??) of a 62 Lancer, I admire anyone that tackles one of these 60-2 A bodies ( I won't refer to them as Toads, although with LOVE! HA).... Unique cars most people do not lve and NO aftermarket help, understanderbly. ( is that word!?)......

We should get together. There is a spring Mopar show at the Motorplex in Ennis Tx. Half hour south of Dallas. Think we could do a Slant Six gathering?

We should get together. There is a spring Mopar show at the Motorplex in Ennis Tx. Half hour south of Dallas. Think we could do a Slant Six gathering?

I missed that last Spring, my first here in Tx. I will be there if above the grass!!! I NEVER take cars to shows period, and doubt I would drive it that far, but yes a get together would be great.

Very cool car Hyper_pac !
Very close attention paid to details and it shows!!
BTW... do the steering wheel, she deserves it!!

Got a lot done this weekend. I finally got the front frame rails detailed. Weather got close to 60 this afternoon and I pushed it outside and sprayed paint on the bottoms of the rails and some spots the painters missed. Now I am ready to finish the engine and sock it in from the k-frame up. Worked on the air cleaner. I found a NAPA Gold 6015 will work on the cleaner. I just figured out that the dyno pictures with a full cleaner are not what they sold with the kit. See the kit pictures and they packaged a log ram unit with the hyper kit. Now just to make it fit the carb I have! Also got the pan and pickup ready. The pickup was hot tanked but every time I tapped it, stuff fell out. So I opened it and damn, that was scary!. I fit the oil pump, windage tray and water pump. Trans man still working on the 904 but I got the deep pan powder coated and dropped it off.
IMG_7363.JPG
IMG_7369.JPG
IMG_7360.JPG
hyperpack-install4.jpg

Thanks for all the input! I like the gasser idea, but it's too nice. The plan now is resto it and run a Hyper Pac 170 and make an NHRA Stock Class Car. Here are some more pictures of where it is going. This is what the underside looked like. Last picture is underside painted and ready to install the rear.

View attachment 163751

View attachment 163752

View attachment 163753

View attachment 163754
I am with you. Extremely nice Lancer wagon. They must have made more Valiants in those year models. You rarely see the Lancers, and the Lancer front cap looks better / Meaner to me.

have opened up running slants with a n actual 2 inches of gunk in the oil pan!!!!! They are tough!!!! Leave me your wagon in your will!!!!!!! ha ( OK so I am almost 70)

I got the new fender splash shields today from Detroit Muscle Technologies. James Filmore took my originals and made templates. New stainless push pins and die cut. They look great! Thank Jim.
I also went to install the steering box with the standard bolts I know from my mid 60's a bodies, 12 point, 1/2 x 13. No go! So the 62 K Frame uses 7/16 x 14 bolts. Didn't remember that!
IMG_7372.JPG
IMG_7373.JPG
IMG_7374.JPG

Got the splash shields installed today. Sure was a simple car back in the day. These worked out great, just had to move the bottom push pin, staples. They just kind of block water and dirt from the back side of the door jams. They don't really "seal".
IMG_7375.JPG
IMG_7381.JPG
IMG_7384.JPG

I got the front timing cover seal and cover installed. I also got the pan installed. The windage tray I guess was not designed for the early pans, I thought I would never get the pan installed!
IMG_7387.JPG
IMG_7388.JPG

The bullet gets closer. The front exhaust is very close to the water pump rib so I will do a little grinding to make a little clearance. On the block not the manifold! I will start on an exhaust system, 2 into 1 at least to get it to the exhaust shop.
IMG_7390.JPG

Not much progress, but lots of work. Just finding the correct bolts and fasteners is a bunch of effort. I did find some cool bolts, never noticed these before, they are marked DCPD on the bolt heads! It got warm enough to get the engine painted, tomorrow we are suppose to get ice! Picked up the transmission last week from JTT so I can bolt the trans to the engine this weekend and with any luck get it between the frame rails.
IMG_7488.JPG
IMG_7485.JPG

Had a pretty good weekend. Got most of the engine components mounted. Got the transmission mounted, but I just looked at it and with the blue converter, it looks bad, go back apart and paint the converter another color that should look better. It's all mounted on the K-Frame and ready to roll under the frame rails. I was worried about it rolling under with my cart but it looks like I have plenty of clearance. Also got the frame rail foam blocks installed. On a 62 you can see where they go. I got these from Gary Goers and they were a sick foam color, so I went flat black. Had to trim them a little, but still a tight fit.
IMG_7500.JPG

IMG_7496.JPG

IMG_7498.JPG

IMG_7499.JPG

-
Back