1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
Didn't like the blue torque converter so I dropped the trans out and painted the converter black. Then back together. Installed the starter. I was worried about it clearing the rear manifold. Looks like around 3/8 inch clearance from manifold to solenoid. I had to remove the one bolt to transmission that hit the starter.
IMG_7501.JPG
IMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7506.JPG
IMG_7507.JPG

Getting ready to install the engine. But I measured and the intake won't come up from below so I have to take the intake off and then put it back on again tomorrow. Dang it.

IMG_7508.JPG
IMG_7514.JPG

Looking good Stan. I see you are after my 1st place win at Carlisle. I see I'll have to make some upgrades to my engine before Clay City too.

Busy day today. Engine and transmission in the car! No telling how long it's been since the old girl had that. But she is happy I could tell. First one I have dropped the body onto the K. It went well no issues. Front suspension is next.
IMG_7515.JPG
IMG_7520.JPG
IMG_7522.JPG
IMG_7529.JPG

Thank you all for your comments and likes, trying hard to get it done.
Today was nothing but frustrations. Working front suspension. Found torsion bar adjusters, no screws. Found front strut rods, only 1 rear shouldered nut. Found the ball joint socket I bought, it's too big. The new lower control arm bump stop bumpers won't tighten up, there in no shoulder on the stud to keep it from turning. Oh well I have a few days to find the answers to these issues. Next weekend I run the Cowtown 5K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday. 4 months of training, hundreds of road miles, ready to get going!
IMG_7542.JPG
IMG_7536.JPG
IMG_7535.JPG

Back to work.
Made a tool to draw the strut rod bushings in.
A piece of all-thread, a 1 7/8 socket, 2 nuts, 2 shock washers.
A few turns, and pop!
I got the china junk LCA bump stops to tighten up.
Plain lock washers, and nuts, impact wrench and they are now tight.
LCA in, UCA in, Strut Rods in, and a couple of Ball Joints hand tight.
Slow but steady.
IMG_7573.JPG
IMG_7574.JPG
IMG_7575.JPG
IMG_7577.JPG
IMG_7581.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG

Got back today on the wagon. Cleaned and painted the 340 T-Bars. I got new boots from Detroit Muscle Tech. Hope to get them in tomorrow. Painted the radiator support black as I plan to get the front parts put on soon. Also my good long distant friend from Germany just sent me a perfect reproduction of the Hyper Pac intake manifold throttle rod support rod. This is a pretty rare part, and I a lucky and honored to have it.
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7594.JPG
IMG_7596.JPG

Got one side installed. Had a time lining up the T-bar ends. Also the Large Ball Joint tool I had purchased for this job was not the right size. Not sure what I got, but it don't fit my balls, joints.
I have 2 slant six T-Bars for sale if anyone needs them.
IMG_7604.JPG

I located the underhood wiring tonight, I thought it might have been stolen, but I had it with a bunch of other harnesses I had stored away, that is a relief. It needs a bunch of clean up, but it should work. Got the drivers side ball joint rubber cup installed and the spindle test fit. Next is the T Bar install.
IMG_7607.JPG
IMG_7606.JPG

Stan, the Lancer is coming together finally. I'm glad to see it getting closer to the point that you can drive it. I know it's been a long road with it being stolen, but it's looking good.

Had a rough weekend. My brothers wife passed away Sunday morning. It gets me thinking about how I take life for granted.

Got a few things done. Started rebuilding the headlight wiring harness.
Front Splash Shields installed.
Drivers side T-Bar in.
Brake Backing plates fitted.
Cleaning Push Button assembly, need to replace one return spring.

IMG_7631.JPG

IMG_7626.JPG

IMG_7630.JPG

Congrats on your progress.
I will be happy when, hopefully in couple of weeks, I get back to old home of Missouri and pick up my 62 Lancer. These cars are so unique. Too back they are few and far between and most people do not appreciate their unique looks. Funny part is my wife love them!!!!! lol

Thanks barbee. I met my wife in my 62 Valiant, but she liked me, not the car! She is cool with the wagon thou.
Are you coming to Mopars at Motorplex this month? I will be there in the morning.

Thanks barbee. I met my wife in my 62 Valiant, but she liked me, not the car! She is cool with the wagon thou.
Are you coming to Mopars at Motorplex this month? I will be there in the morning.
I looked for info on the puter but did not find. What are the dates?????
EDIT! found it under events here. Mar 24, Yes we will be there if breathing!!!! Let me know how to find you, unless your Lancer will be there, them even I can find it!!

It won't be ready, I was going to trailer it over, but don't need to spend the extra cash. I will message you with my number, we can link up at the track.

It won't be ready, I was going to trailer it over, but don't need to spend the extra cash. I will message you with my number, we can link up at the track.
Sounds good. We are bout 3 hours away. Hope to be there by 9 or so. Yes pm me your number and we will meet.

Had to work in the yard all yesterday and half of today. Finally got back to the wagon. I got the front headlight harness recovered in some modern snake-skin and some heat shrink ends. Looks better than the worn out electrical tape. The 50 year old wires were in pretty good shape, and the two rubber plugs that go into the headlight buckets were real nice. Also
IMG_7632.JPG
IMG_7633.JPG
got the wheel primed and a few of the pin holes filled with spot putty. If the rain holds off tomorrow should be able to put some color on it.

Weather wasn't good for painting the wheel, so I worked on some other stuff.
Drums cleaned and painted.
Front Valance installed.
Wiring harness for headlights installed.
Front bumper braces fitted.
Frame metal splash shields installed.
IMG_7650.JPG
IMG_7651.JPG
IMG_7635.JPG
IMG_7637.JPG

She's looking good Stan. Do you see the light at the end of the tunnel, yet? BTW, I like the FOD sign, not many people will know what that is. Bill S.

Yea, found it in the trash at work, someone bent it so I got it flat and made garage art out of it.
I do see a light at the end of the tunnel, but not sure it is not a train coming to hit me!
Fuel lines, brake lines, push button shifter, dash cluster, front brakes, exhaust, carb, wiring...
Makes me tired thinking about it.
So head down, keep moving, one step at a time.
Thanks for the complement, they really help getting to the finish line.
I have done quite a few cosmetic restorations before, but never one this far down and then back together.
Race cars are a lot easier.

You are right, race cars are easier. BTW, do you still have my phone number? If not, let me know & I'll PM it to you so we can get together at the swap meet this weekend.

-
Back