1962 Lancer Wagon, Lancersaurus!

-
I don't know about your car, but every time I make something look better on my car the parts around it look worse. It is a vicious circle! When you pick up your car if you have another parts radiator I would be interested in the pass side radiator mount. The one I made will work but I would like to replace it with the correct one if I can find one.

I don't know about your car, but every time I make something look better on my car the parts around it look worse. It is a vicious circle! When you pick up your car if you have another parts radiator I would be interested in the pass side radiator mount. The one I made will work but I would like to replace it with the correct one if I can find one.
Nothing extra. I tried to use the 63 slant rad. but figured out pretty quick it would not work.

Still working. Got my trim from Leo, it looks great on the car. Drums mounted, bearings packed, new seals, new brake distribution block, working on new lines, seat bolts replaced, etc, etc, etc.
IMG_7957.JPG
IMG_7959.JPG
IMG_7962.JPG
IMG_7967.JPG

Yea, but I am gona drive it. Not like I stole it, but like I built it. Thanks for all your likes and comments!

A few more details today, won't be able to work on it tomorrow. I was able to re-use the front shock upper bushings. They look great after I cleaned them up. Better than the 2 part replacement one. Got the front shocks installed. You can see how close the Hyper Pak comes to the drivers side shock bolt. Always wondered why the manifold was shaped in that corner, it's not close on a 225 with the higher deck! I got the Master cylinder today and trial fitted it to the drum brake distribution block tubing and fittings. I am going to have to replace the front left to right tubing fitting for the larger diameter.
IMG_7971.JPG
IMG_7974.JPG
IMG_7977.JPG

A lot of stuff going on this weekend. But I want to remember the men and women who gave their lives to defend and protect our country and the American way of life. As the son of Navy/Army veteran I know first hand the sacrifices he made for us, I am grateful he didn't have to give his life. But I know he would have.

Got the brake lines finished and the clips installed. I was able to bend the front firewall line, remove the smaller fitting and install a larger fitting for the front, that worked well. As part of the dual master cylinder conversion I guess they wanted to change fitting size to avoid mixing front and rear lines. Made a mistake on getting 3/8 fuel line. I knew it was not for my car but figured I could make it work. Had to re-bend every angle and man that stuff even in common steel is very hard. Then after I got it in, it's about 8 inches too short. I could use a short section of tube to bridge the shortage, but I just don't like the way it looks. So I ordered a roll of 5/16 tubing and I will make it from scratch. I have the original line off the car to use as a template. So that will be for next week.

IMG_7982.JPG
IMG_7984.JPG
IMG_7986.JPG
IMG_7991.JPG

Got the new fuel line in from classic tube. I got it mostly bent using the original line and almost installed. Just need to get the clamps and clips placed and that will be done. While I was under the car I went ahead and installed the deep trans, torque converter bolts and the trans dust shield. I went ahead and dropped the rear out to touch up some paint issues. I need to put a little white on the under side and black on the rear springs and housing. Then most of the bottom will be finished.
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_8002.JPG
IMG_8005.JPG

Slow weekend on the wagon.
I ran a 5K in Los Colinas this morning. Texas Hot!
I got the fuel line nearly done, rear end detailed again, rear brake lines and a little white touch up.
IMG_8011.JPG
IMG_8012.JPG
IMG_8013.JPG
IMG_8014.JPG
IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG

I was emailing a friend and we talked about production numbers. Here is what I found out about Lancers. I will keep looking for 2, 4, and Wagon breakdowns but here is what Allpar says:
1961 Lancer Production Numbers.JPG
1962 Lancer Production Numbers.JPG

So 139,044 Lancers built in 1961-1962. I think that was the number of the first week of mustang production! LOL

Not any Lancer progress. Work is killing me, I need to quit and focus on what is really important. Had a Life Celebration last weekend in Northern VA. But when I visited my Brother I found these 2 pictures, this is where it all began for me. In this garage and with this car. I was super happy to find these pictures, I didn't have any. 1962 Valiant, looks to be a Signet 200. Had a 61 Lancer front end, I remembered the light blue color. The Main body was that faded rose color and it sported a dark green Lancer trunk lid. I had forgotten the different colors, I thought the front end and trunk lid were the same color. You can just see a little red in the door trim. Looks like the interior was Gold. I remember it had bucket seats and I installed a 3 speed floor shifter. I am on the left, my Dad in the middle and my Brother on the right. My friend Roger named the car, "The Meaner".
Meaner 01.jpg
Meaner 02.jpg
May 1971, I was 15 years old!

I had gotten the a set of 62 rad brackets and replaced the passenger side bracket to get the radiator placed in the correct location
IMG_8026.JPG
IMG_8028.JPG
. I gained about a 1/4 of an inch and on a 62 that is a lot! Now the fan clears the crank bolt and I have about 3/8 inch from the fan to the rad core. Not much progress but still moving forward!

I had gotten the a set of 62 rad brackets and replaced the passenger side bracket to get the radiator placed in the correct locationView attachment 1715191186 View attachment 1715191187 . I gained about a 1/4 of an inch and on a 62 that is a lot! Now the fan clears the crank bolt and I have about 3/8 inch from the fan to the rad core. Not much progress but still moving forward!
You correct that radiator in those cars was tight! I had my 62 Lancer's rad. recored, the early A slant rad. would notc ome close to fitting.

Took some time off and its been too hot here in DFW to do much work.
Ok so its not rocket science, and its not a great accomplishment, but I did get the transmission cooling lines fit and installed. What is funny is I had a set of 62 lines here with the old inline filter, and I could not get them to fit the car to tell what needed to be routed and fit! I had to use a 90 degree elbow on the passenger side radiator tank fitting to clear the dampner. Anyway they are in now and next will be starting on the exhaust pipes to the collector.
IMG_8212.JPG
IMG_8213.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG

LOOKS good! OK, 110 degree heat is not a legitimate excuse. Sweat opens up your pores and sweat cleans them out, unless the seat reaches boiling point, then you get burned!???? Continue on!!

Still working. Fab-ing the exhaust head pipes now. Got the wheel painted and baked in our 105 degree oven. Just another normal day in DFW.
IMG_8251.JPG

Took some time off and its been too hot here in DFW to do much work.
Ok so its not rocket science, and its not a great accomplishment, but I did get the transmission cooling lines fit and installed. What is funny is I had a set of 62 lines here with the old inline filter, and I could not get them to fit the car to tell what needed to be routed and fit! I had to use a 90 degree elbow on the passenger side radiator tank fitting to clear the dampner. Anyway they are in now and next will be starting on the exhaust pipes to the collector.
View attachment 1715202203 View attachment 1715202204 View attachment 1715202205 View attachment 1715202206
SWWET!

-
Back