1962 s series 6.1 hemi

-

Henry1962s

Reaction score
Hi,

thought I would get a thread up on new project. Very early stages but hope to get stuck into it in the next few months.

Car blasted and 2 packed, off to get flat floor and centred tunnel next week. driveline will be 6.1, 727, 9 inch with rack and pinion steering. Got most things sussed except a neat kickdown cable for trans off the throttle body and a few wiring issues.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,374
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,345
Good Day,Mate......you picked a trick build...keep us POSTED (if you get my drift)

Mopar to ya'
Denny

That's gonna be a cool hot rod.......no O/D though huh?

Been flat out with getting married and work so progress slow. Fab shop did not make a start after 2 months so got it back to do floor and firewall myself.
Sway bar is a hellwig but it dosn't fit, too wide and wrong profile as rims will contact before reaching full lock. Have made template up for how it should be and will get a custom one done. The mounts are very nice though.

Only thing that could make that cooler would be if it was a wagon. Very cool build. How tight is that Hemi in there?

It is tight. Have yet to make header huggers but should not be to much of a drama. Have centered the driveline which is probably the only way to achieve this mod as heads would hit inner gaurd on rhs and steering would be a pain. The position in relation to firewall is spot on, had to make custom radiator supports, radiator and engine mounts though.
cheers for the interest guys, need to keep getting on with it.....

Hi, I had my bar made by these guys in Sydney www.mako.com.au I havn't had it on the road as my build is at about the same point as yours but it looks good. They offer several options of bar size. Well worth a look!
I'll be keeping track of your build as I'm going EFI as well but my budget doesn't extend to a HEMI! If you're interested Aussie 62 Valiant is my thread.

Marty

Dave,

I fitted a 55914 for 63 - 66 dodge dart which have the same track as a 63 - 66 Plymouth valiant at 55.9 inches. It looks to be about 1 - 1 1/2 wide at the control arms, the rims contact before full lock is reached but I have 1 inch wider than standard rims which is also causing the grief. ( same factory offset on rims )
A profile similar to the rear bars for this model would be the go as this would clear the rims and not foul on the radius arm at the same time. I can get some photos in a week or so as currently away.
You have supplied a great product and I fully expected there to be issues with US vs Aussie valiants. I have looked at many set ups and yours is far superior and of great quality.
Any feedback would be great.

The 1962 K member is a different design and may be contributing to your problems. Some pictures would help.

Henry

I too will be watching this build. Looking good so far,

Now to your sway bars. I bought a K-Mac Bolt-on bars. Bolted the front one in and checked everything and then welded it in. (I will find the part # and post it) So far it has proved to be worth the effort and there is no issue with wheels hitting - Fronts are a 15 x 7" with 3 1/2" offset over CL discs.

cheers
Bruce

that's looking great! I noticed you have cut out the original firewall before plating it, in the ACT, (Australian Capital Territory) for those in the US, we have to leave the original in place and plate over the top. Rego here have some odd ideas! Sub frame connectors are another problem, here that is a chassis and then requires the car to be registered as an individually constructed vehicle.
Have you thought about installing torque boxes while you're at it? Everything I've read out of the states make them sound like a good idea, try the link below. I found him great to deal with.

www.sheetmetalstuff.com

good luck, Marty

-
Back