1963 Valiant 'vert door latch latch (?) not working

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
Haven't been on FABO for a looong time (sorry).
Still have my '63 'vert down here in Australia.

I did a search but can't see much in relation to this question, so please bear with me.

I have a problem with the driver's door (LH) not shutting on the striker (weird shaped striker - has teeth on the bottom - totally unlike the Aussie Valiants).
When I pull the door shut from inside the car, or push it shut from outside the car it like, bangs the striker and like, just won't go into it.

I'm thinking that the latch (is that what you blokes call them?) is buggered. The little starwheel thingo does turn with my fingers but seems to jack up on me when I close the door (doesn't like the striker? LOL).

I hope that I'm making sense to someone who knows my problem.
Any offers of helpful advice appreciated, thanks.

ALSO, as a side note. Our Valiants have a different striker so I'm guessing that the '63 US Valiant may have a one year only, or something???? I really don't know.

TIA
Gary

Got any pics of these parts? Maybe the latches are dirty (mine were) or some adjustment with the door might be needed

Don't know about Australia, but the striker and latch on American 63's are different than 65's. Below, top two pix are my 63 convertible; bottom two are my 65 Barracuda. The supplemental latch doohickeys on the 63 (above and to the outside of the main latch) are unique to convertibles, both A and B bodies.

As for why your door won't shut, I can think of three possibilities:

1. Is your inside handle returning to the closed position (all the way forward)? On my 63, the springs on both door handles were so worn out they wouldn't return on their own - had to manually move them forward. If left in the open position, the doors would not close. (Fixed this problem by replacing the handle mechanisms with good used ones that had good springs.)

2. Is the striker aligned properly? There are three screws holding it to the door frame. May need to loosen them, move the striker, then tighten the screws. May have to do this more than once to get it properly aligned.

3. If neither of the above helps, then I'd have to think the latch itself is bad. I replaced both of mine with NOS from ebay. They show up now and then. Doors did close with the old latches, but it took a firmer push than it should have. With the new latches, a light touch closes the doors with a solid ka-chunk.

20210614_100703.jpg
20210614_100928.jpg

20210614_100754.jpg
20210614_100814.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know about Australia, but the striker and latch on American 63's are different than 65's. Below, top two pix are my 63 convertible; bottom two are my 65 Barracuda. The supplemental latch doohickeys on the 63 (above and to the outside of the main latch) are unique to convertibles, both A and B bodies.

As for why your door won't shut, I can think of three possibilities:

1. Is your inside handle returning to the closed position (all the way forward)? On my 63, the springs on both door handles were so worn out they wouldn't return on their own - had to manually move them forward. If left in the open position, the doors would not close. (Fixed this problem by replacing the handle mechanisms with good used ones that had good springs.)

2. Is the striker aligned properly? There are three screws holding it to the door frame. May need to loosen them, move the striker, then tighten the screws. May have to do this more than once to get it properly aligned.

3. If neither of the above helps, then I'd have to think the latch itself is bad. I replaced both of mine with NOS from ebay. They show up now and then. Doors did close with the old latches, but it took a firmer push than it should have. With the new latches, a light touch closes the doors with a solid ka-chunk.

View attachment 1715751515 View attachment 1715751516
View attachment 1715751517 View attachment 1715751518

Thank you sir for your prompt reply and your 3 suggestions.
I probably should have posted pics with my original post.
Thanks for your pics, I can see the differences and yes the top pics are similar to my '63.
Bottom pics look like the Aussie Valiants.

I did try the "push inside handle forward" method that you suggested but no go.
Striker appears to be right where it always has been.

Looks like I am on the lookout for another latch.
I'll check US Ebay and fb page, might get lucky.

Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Gary

I'd start by pulling the latch and taking a good look at it for damage.

I completely forgot one other possible issue. If your lower door hinge is worn and the door is sagging as a result, then the latch and striker may not line up. So even if your striker is in the position it's always been in, it may not be in a workable position now.

Easy enough to check the hinge: with the door open, grab the door handle and see if you can lift the door any significant amount. If you can lift, then drop, then lift, then drop, your hinge is worn. If so (and in my experience it's always the lower hinge), best to repair or replace it. However you may be able to get a temporary work around by adjusting the hinge and/or the striker.

I completely forgot one other possible issue. If your lower door hinge is worn and the door is sagging as a result, then the latch and striker may not line up. So even if your striker is in the position it's always been in, it may not be in a workable position now.

Easy enough to check the hinge: with the door open, grab the door handle and see if you can lift the door any significant amount. If you can lift, then drop, then lift, then drop, your hinge is worn. If so (and in my experience it's always the lower hinge), best to repair or replace it. However you may be able to get a temporary work around by adjusting the hinge and/or the striker.

OOOH! Now that's a good point.
Thanks for your suggestion, I will follow up on that over the weekend and post a result.
Appreciate your tip.

Thanks
Gary

I'd start by pulling the latch and taking a good look at it for damage.

Good Tip, thanks.
I noticed that if I am outside of the car and push the handle button in, that I can turn the star wheel with my other hand in both directions. Not sure whether it should do that though.

Yes, it should turn both ways with the button pushed, and ratchet only one way when released.

If like the US one, turn the star by hand till it clicks. Then it should work again. Yep. Give it a try. It might be out of sync, for want of a better word...

If like the US one, turn the star by hand till it clicks. Then it should work again. Yep. Give it a try. It might be out of sync, for want of a better word...

Yes, it is a US Plymouth Valiant, still LHD.
I'll try your suggestion. Would be good if just "out of sync".

Gday to everyone - just closing this thread with a real happy ending.

Thank you to all who posted, always seem to get great advice on FABO, and that is such a terrific help to someone Downunder with a USA car or 2.

Anyways, the problem was really adjustment of the striker. I spent not a little time fiddling, but once I got near to it closing properly, I just tweaked it until I'm happy.

It does need to be given a decent shove, but this latch looks like it has been around the block a bit, and it's come a long way from not shutting at all. I'm happy - thanks.

I have bought another latch (used) and some bits off a FABO member, and if mine plays up on me again I will replace it.
It isn't a car that I drive often anyways, so I'm hoping to pass the parts on to the next caretaker (whomever that happens to be).

Thanks again to you all, and all the best.
Regards
Gary

-
Back