1964 - 1974 Factory Engine Paint Chart

-
Even the red colors varied. Back in late 1968 the guy that lived two houses from us got a new '69 Dart with a 340. The water pump started seeping in the spring of 1970 and he knew he could talk me into changing it for him. The new pump was raw cast iron so I asked him to get a can of the correct red paint. He got it from the local Dodge dealer with the part number right on the can. I painted the pump but when I went to put it on it was considerably more orange than the engine. My dad was working on a Farmall tractor at the time so I thought I would see if his International Red was closer to correct. I repainted the pump and installed it. The International Red was almost a perfect match to that engine.
That's funny because that is why I remember my brothers 340 so well. I too had to change the water pump for leaking and when I painted it the color was not even close. But being dumb kids we put it on and went out and burned the tires off it some more. Didn't care it wasn't the right color just looking for the next race!

I have a friend with a '68 Road Runner who swears his grill was originally black.He's had it since new but it was argent like they all were.My torquoise '69 340 can look corporate blue
depending on the light.
Those guys that swear their car had this colour or that option may not be right either... our memories fade like the paint did.

Our memories fade like the paint did. Agreed, but this all started over a chart that was posted. There are many discrepancies in every one I have ever seen. You just never know unless the car has never been touched. Most have been rebuilt many times by now. Hell even the few people that are still around that built the cars can't remember. LOL

From my Ga
engine paint.jpg
len book

The Mopar Performance dealer catalog from 1993. These P/N have changed many times and I know some of them are wrong. So good luck

IMG_20180303_171647434.jpg

IMG_20180303_171733742.jpg

I've got a set of 1969 340 valve covers with original blue paint somewhere in my shop. Back in 1970 my history teacher had me swap them for some aluminum covers he bought for his Barracuda and he left the originals with me. When I find 'em I'll post a photo.

I've got a set of 1969 340 valve covers with original blue paint somewhere in my shop. Back in 1970 my history teacher had me swap them for some aluminum covers he bought for his Barracuda and he left the originals with me. When I find 'em I'll post a photo.[/QUO
The problem is we can not tell for sure what engine/car combo they would have come from. I'm sure you have them and they have the OEM paint but they have been removed and the vehicle is long gone. This is where the guessing starts. Engine color will always be WHAT it came with, from the factory BEFORE being worked on in the field. There are few of them left and the plant never kept records. Why would they? It was an engine going into a car to get the piss run out of it. That's still cool you still have them though :)

Last edited:
That paint was garbage from day one. The colors were never correct in those cans.
That is my point. Ma Mopar doesn't know them self. So to say someone is wrong is incorrect. It has to be an UNTOUCHED car, that is the only way you would know for sure. But if you restore it you maybe wrong. It's a catch 22. It's only original once. After that it was what the company sells you that they "say" is correct.

I’m sure mopar knew they just didn’t care.

And yes I agree only way to know for sure is an untouched original.

The red fades and looks orange. The turquoise can look blue or greenish.

Hell that Gibson place that sells the paint regarded as the best match says there’s the orange used on 440’s and a totally diffrrrnt orange that’s used on a 340.

Thermal cycles can change paint color just like oil and fuel will. Colors look different to different people, and yes Mopar didn't care.

It says all 69 318 were red. Had an all original 69 Coronet 318 that was red, but the original 318 in my 69 Fury was/is blue. Both cars were never taken apart before I got them.

When I was a kid, I had a red Radio Flyer wagon that I painted Chrysler Engine Blue back in the early 70's..... Dad had brought the paint home from work for a side job he was doing. He was mad when he found his empty paint can, but did tell me good job on the wagon, runs and sags and painted over the rust and all.....lol

Still have the flyer ? How many miles on it ?

-
Back