1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
About as mid sixties "period" as a device with electronic buttons and displays can get.

It's kinda grey instead of the more chrome look I was lookin for, but I think it's a 100% improvement over what was there. My stupid *** forgot to put the little red and green lenses back in the oil light and turn and high beam indicators, so it's coming back out and apart tomorrow to do that. lol Thanks for the kind words.

I like the grey look you ended up with. Looks good. If you wanted the plastic chrome look for cheap and in a spray can you can try this. Page 6 if it doesn't take you right there. I know it's a chevy forum, but don't hold that against me...lol. I like all brands and while I am restoring my 63 Dart, I also have a 1960 Bel Air 2dr Sport coupe that is going in next. I haven't tried this yet but plan to soon as I get the car back on its wheels and start the dash.

My '60 classic project - Chevy Message Forum - Restoration and Repair Help

About 1/3 the way down the page he sprays a plastic door panel part. Instead of the rustoleum you apparently can also use mirror finish effects I believe

I like the grey look you ended up with. Looks good. If you wanted the plastic chrome look for cheap and in a spray can you can try this. Page 6 if it doesn't take you right there. I know it's a chevy forum, but don't hold that against me...lol. I like all brands and while I am restoring my 63 Dart, I also have a 1960 Bel Air 2dr Sport coupe that is going in next. I haven't tried this yet but plan to soon as I get the car back on its wheels and start the dash.

My '60 classic project - Chevy Message Forum - Restoration and Repair Help

About 1/3 the way down the page he sprays a plastic door panel part. Instead of the rustoleum you apparently can also use mirror finish effects I believe

That's purdy cool, man. Thanks. I've decided I am going to leave it like this. It's grown on me.

On another note, this car belongs to a local friend of mine. It is absolutely beautiful. Won so many awards he's runnin outta room. It's original 348, dual quad 4 speed car. It is WAY nice.

JERRY'S CAR.jpg

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. We've been drivin it everywhere. Always gets looks from people that just don't know what it is. It's sad though. I hardly see any old cars on the road like I used to. I remember even up into the early 90s we used to see some all the time. Now, not so much. I gotta start gettin the car sanded to metal and epoxy primed. I plan to do that a panel at the time, simply because I don't want to put it down so I can keep drivin it. lol

I'm really torn about it. I want to put it down and do it once and do it right, but I want to keep driving it more.

What I would do is drive it and enjoy it for the rest of the season, put it down for the winter and tear into it over the winter. Then if you have it ready for spring great, or you can seal it up and drive it again next summer. That was the original plan for mine. I had to repair the rear roof, but had planned to go through it mechanically like I already did. Get the body work done and seal it. Finish the interior and drive it the rest of the summer with the patina look. Then as soon as the snow flew, put it away again and concentrate on getting it ready for paint/painted. Unfortunately for me things kinda snowballed and I tore it all apart. I'm close to being able to drive it but the season's almost over so no point now rushing it for a few weeks best driving it. Must say, I'm a little jealous you get to enjoy yours. It kills me every time I see an old car driving by knowing mines still on the hoist in the garage. Cars coming along great by the way. Keep us posted as you go.

^^^RRR lives in central Ga. Snows once every 15 years. If a mud puddle gets a skim coat of frost one night, the locals talk about the "freeze" for weeks.
No reason you can do one panel at a time, the after all that work, seal and topcoat.

^^^RRR lives in central Ga. Snows once every 15 years. If a mud puddle gets a skim coat of frost one night, the locals talk about the "freeze" for weeks.
No reason you can do one panel at a time, the after all that work, seal and topcoat.
I didn't realize where he was. I'm up in the North just across the border in Canada so I get plenty of winter to deal with. I usually get 4-5 months of winter to work on the car...when I'm not super busy at work that is...lol. I'd love to be able to enjoy my classic year round

What I would do is drive it and enjoy it for the rest of the season, put it down for the winter and tear into it over the winter. Then if you have it ready for spring great, or you can seal it up and drive it again next summer. That was the original plan for mine. I had to repair the rear roof, but had planned to go through it mechanically like I already did. Get the body work done and seal it. Finish the interior and drive it the rest of the summer with the patina look. Then as soon as the snow flew, put it away again and concentrate on getting it ready for paint/painted. Unfortunately for me things kinda snowballed and I tore it all apart. I'm close to being able to drive it but the season's almost over so no point now rushing it for a few weeks best driving it. Must say, I'm a little jealous you get to enjoy yours. It kills me every time I see an old car driving by knowing mines still on the hoist in the garage. Cars coming along great by the way. Keep us posted as you go.

Well, that's what'll happen if I start on it. It has a lot of surface rust under the car and under the front and rear sheet metal, so it's gonna have to be splattered. And that's ok.......I just don't want to do it any time real soon.

If the weatherman even says snow, people are killin each other at the Kroger from bread, eggs and milk.

If the weatherman even says snow, people are killin each other at the Kroger from bread, eggs and milk.
That is funny......You guys need a good snow one time.
This was overnight, the fun of living in the mountains.

NHu3bt.jpg

That is funny......You guys need a good snow one time.
This was overnight, the fun of living in the mountains.

View attachment 1715581721

We had one for the record books in 1973. I remember it like it was yesterday. The official measurement was 16", because the weather station for Macon is in south Bibb County, at the Macon airport almost in Warner Robins.......so all points north got more. It started Friday morning shortly after we got to school. The air temperature was over 40*. Started snowing harder and harder. The temp got to below freezing real quick and it started sticking. By Saturday morning it finally stopped. I remember Daddy stepping out into the back yard to take the "Daddy official measurement". He stuck his foot in the snow to make a hole and measured to the bottom. 24". The measurement was 23" but he added 1" for compressed snow. In fact, later that day, the weather reports said some places in north Macon (where we were) got a small swath of snow up to and a tic over 24". That shut Macon down for a solid week. It was a lotta fun, too.

Here is the radar shot with the heaviest snowfall runnin right through Macon. Atlanta barely got a flake. lol

SNOW OF 73.jpg

^^^ I well remember that snow of '73 I was still in Ga near Camilla., we had about 2 inches there, and a guy from Columbia, SC was at my work and left to go back and got stranded near Macon!!! Yep he was there a while! lol
Remember the "snow-a-cane"!???

Took Vixen out today for her longest cruise yet. Went to Macon to a small eatin joint with the Jones County Cruisers to kinda give the place a shot in the arm. Probably 55 miles round trip the way we went. There weren't many cars there, so I didn't take pictures. I guess I should have. Coolest thing there (to us) was a 55 Desoto Fireflight 4 door. Really nice car. Even had the Hemi in it. That club is REAL chevy heavy. Kitty and I ate some fish and shrimp for supper. Did our thing to help out. I don't think they're gonna last because they are on a divided highway and in a terrible location, but the food is good. The car did really well. Just zips along like a new one.

Rob, if you can get some chrome mylar pinstriping tape you can highlight the bezels leading edges with the chrome mylar tape. It will even follow the circle without bunching if the tape is 1/16 or so. I heard if you paint the base gloss black, it will give it a gloss finish and the 'chrome' paint will lay down shinier and darker on top of that base. What model is that radio, maker? link? That hidden CD is cool.

Rob, if you can get some chrome mylar pinstriping tape you can highlight the bezels leading edges with the chrome mylar tape. It will even follow the circle without bunching if the tape is 1/16 or so. I heard if you paint the base gloss black, it will give it a gloss finish and the 'chrome' paint will lay down shinier and darker on top of that base. What model is that radio, maker? link? That hidden CD is cool.

Custom Autosound.

Custom Audio

We had one for the record books in 1973. I remember it like it was yesterday. The official measurement was 16", because the weather station for Macon is in south Bibb County, at the Macon airport almost in Warner Robins.......so all points north got more. It started Friday morning shortly after we got to school. The air temperature was over 40*. Started snowing harder and harder. The temp got to below freezing real quick and it started sticking. By Saturday morning it finally stopped. I remember Daddy stepping out into the back yard to take the "Daddy official measurement". He stuck his foot in the snow to make a hole and measured to the bottom. 24". The measurement was 23" but he added 1" for compressed snow. In fact, later that day, the weather reports said some places in north Macon (where we were) got a small swath of snow up to and a tic over 24". That shut Macon down for a solid week. It was a lotta fun, too.
I bet it was rough, considering you guys do not have any snow removal equipment.

I remember the next morning, the picture I took of my old truck, I used my snow blower, and helped the neighbor couple clear from around their Jeep.
About when we were about done, the city snow plow came by and covered it back up, the neighbor lady shouted at the plow driver, and just held her hands up in the air.

I got a little work done on the long rod slant tonight. Assembled some of the short block. I ain't forgot about it.
LONG ROD.jpg
LONG ROD1.jpg

-
Back