1965 273 4-bbl intake. What is this connector for?

-

Stumpy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out what this two prong connector is for. Nothing is connected to it right now. It is on an original 4-bbl intake manifold in the back on the driver’s side.

This is in a 65 Dart hi-po 4-speed, manual steering no AC car with an aftermarket 4 bbl.

1DCBEEFC-FDB6-438F-9485-91509B349998.jpeg

I cannot figure out what this two prong connector is for. Nothing is connected to it right now. It is on an original 4-bbl intake manifold in the back on the driver’s side.

This is in a 65 Dart hi-po 4-speed, manual steering no AC car with an aftermarket 4 bbl.

View attachment 1715963304
I think somebody plugged a vacuum port with a sender.
Yep, someone just plugged the hole.

100_5147.JPG

I think somebody plugged a vacuum port with a sender.

What was the original use for the vacuum? I’d guess a power steering unit given it’s location but this car never had power steering. What sized bolt is that plug Mike? 3/4”?

Don’t know the original use. Maybe it was originally plugged. I think it is a pipe thread plug size.

What was the original use for the vacuum? I’d guess a power steering unit given it’s location but this car never had power steering. What sized bolt is that plug Mike? 3/4”?
I do wander what that was for. I see the port for the brake booster on toolmans
Don’t know the original use. Maybe it was originally plugged. I think it is a pipe thread plug size.
I can't make out the casting number in the OP's photo. My manifold is for 1966 with CAP (Clean Air Package) 65 didn't have the shared port. I think all the 66 and 67 manifolds had the shared port and some of those weren't drilled and tapped. I don't believe I have ever seen anything plugged into that shared port though.

Last edited:
I can't make out the casting number in the OP's photo. My manifold is for 1966 with CAP (Clean Air Package) 65 didn't have the shared port. I think all the 66 and 67 manifolds had the shared port and some of those weren't drilled and tapped. I don't believe I have ever seen anything plugged into that shared port.

Casting # is 2465726 so a 1965.

4E059DDA-C1A6-4D4F-BE9E-5768BE966F5C.jpeg

The port is for power brakes- power steering has nothing to do with manifold vacuum. Size should be 3/8 NPT.
Agree with the above- someone probably misplaced the original plug and just used a spare sender to plug the hole.

The port is for power brakes- power steering has nothing to do with manifold vacuum. Size should be 3/8 NPT.
Agree with the above- someone probably misplaced the original plug and just used a spare sender to plug the hole.

Power brakes…right. I don’t know what I was thinking. Thanks much for thread size. I’ll pick up an actual plug for it at the hardware store.

I think all the 66 and 67 manifolds had the shared port and some of those weren't drilled and tapped. I don't believe I have ever seen anything plugged into that shared port though
On the 67 CAP 4bbl that I have, the underside of the center , "shared" plugged port has no connection to any port. Another member has one that has threads in it like Mike's, mine is not drilled or tapped.

The break booster port is the one on the left IN the runner on both manifolds.

On the 67 CAP 4bbl that I have, the underside of the center , "shared" plugged port has no connection to any port. Another member has one that has threads in it like Mike's, mine is not drilled or tapped.

The break booster port is the one on the left IN the runner on both manifolds.
Yes, strange that it even exists. Like I mentioned, I have never seen anything connected to that shared port fitting. No clue what it is there for. Just speculating.

The oddest thing is that the casting around it on the inside looks like it is an after thought on the casting.

Tapped power brake port from inside the runner
20180619_103338.jpg

Underside of the "shared" port to nowhere
20180619_103316.jpg

Casting number of the 67 CAP 4bbl manifold
20180619_103222.jpg

Visable power brake tapped port and undrilled or tapped "shared" port to no where
20180619_103215.jpg

Yes, strange that it even exists. Like I mentioned, I have never seen anything connected to that shared port fitting. No clue what it is there for. Just speculating.
It was probably there to aid in casting somehow. They tapped threads in it for a plug and plugged it off.

The vacuum were for the brake booster and an air condition.

That intake vacuum source was used for power brake booster, A/C vacuum control, and C.A.P. control valve, depend in the fitting used.

That intake vacuum source was used for power brake booster, A/C vacuum control, and C.A.P. control valve, depend in the fitting used.
What CAP control valve did they use?

-
Back