1965 barracuda advise wanted

-
I only wish mine was that complete and looked as good. After 2 years of working mine has not left the driveway. Thats an awesome looking ride.

Some have that problem on option two and some accomplish a Hi-Tech conversion in less than a month. Which brings up the fact that some have the money to do so and some don't

I guess that's why we see many cars here in less desirable condition up for sale..

Often, it is far from a money thing and yes, if you are dedicated these things can be accomplished quickly.

Just as often, people get frustrated, over their head or run into unforeseen problems.

Me, my car isn't running simply because I don't care and would rather work in the yard or go looking for gems to add to my record collection.

I think touching that car is crazy. Go get another body to butcher for that hemi. Early A's can be picked up cheap. I am not even sure you could DO an irreversible conversion in that body, tight inner fender wells, torsion bars and exhaust would be a real PITA.

I only wish mine was that complete and looked as good. After 2 years of working mine has not left the driveway. Thats an awesome looking ride.
Thanks........ I joined here today to try to convince myself that I was doing the right thing by swapping the engine and was hoping to hear that was the right thing to do BUT I have heard just the opposite now. Formula S said it clearly, That there are a lot of modified cars today and it may just be the right thing to do to keep it the way it is.
I will have to sleep on the engine swap now.
I also recently bought a 1965 GTO covertible tri power 4-speed from the original owner that is unrestored and looks as good as this Barracuda. The problem is I am afraid to drive it.
My wife ownes a 1970 Challenger T/A that she bought over 20 years ago and it is the same color as the Barracuda and it is a 4-speed car too
when I was 17 I bought a 1967 Firebird 400 coupe from my neighbor that bought it new, I still own that car today (39 years)
SO, it looks like I will just drive the Barracuda for now ...very confused here on this car!

Nice looking car. In my opinion, do whatever makes you happy. If you put a new Hemi in it, you're probably going to want to upgrade the suspension, steering and brakes to keep up with the motor.

well you sleep on it let the car tell you what she wants . Put the key in here and hear what she tells you . and she will .........

Personally I wouldn't touch that car. Hemi mod cars are getting pretty plentiful and the hemi swap parts from wrecked cars are coming way down so the sea will likely even get fuller.

Don't you have to make mods to shoe horn a hemi in an early A? Any K-frame mods. For sure the rear end will have to be upgraded because it has the narrow brake shoes even if it is an 8 3/4" All the holes you will have to make through the firewall are not going to be reversible.

That's a beautiful car. You can find another one and do the swap. I know sometimes it's hard to find a decent one, but that is a beautifully restored car. Like Dart doctor said. Listen to her, she'll tell you.

Mike

Umm, and they talked you right out of what you wanted...

Seems like you've got a corral of cars as it tis, so one being off the road for a time wouldn't really upset you as long as it was done correctly.

I'm a 70 year old and was in my 40's when I build my Signet in less than 14 days and still have and drive it today. When I first got it, it was perfectly stock and in the condition as your Barracuda only black. Almost 30 years later and still updating little things I think I need like an ashtray which works off of vacuum and sucks the butt to a metal container under the car, I personally use it for herb. Almost every night I drive to some meet and it still gets the thumb up from every car owner whatever their into.
The early A-Body as hard as it is to squeeze in to what you need is definitely one of the most radical light weights made during the 60's and my heyday. Choose carefully which to modify as this car will never reach to heights of your Goat convertible or your wife's T/A monetarily in complete stock form and any modification what so ever will never be accepted by anyone seeking a totally original vehicle, even a stereo is wrong.

That's how all vehicles are looked at. Now you can take her out, listen to an A M channel of it's radio and wish it had A/C on those hot days :)

Umm, and they talked you right out of what you wanted...

Seems like you've got a corral of cars as it tis, so one being off the road for a time wouldn't really upset you as long as it was done correctly.

I'm a 70 year old and was in my 40's when I build my Signet in less than 14 days and still have and drive it today. When I first got it, it was perfectly stock and in the condition as your Barracuda only black. Almost 30 years later and still updating little things I think I need like an ashtray which works off of vacuum and sucks the butt to a metal container under the car, I personally use it for herb. Almost every night I drive to some meet and it still gets the thumb up from every car owner whatever their into.
The early A-Body as hard as it is to squeeze in to what you need is definitely one of the most radical light weights made during the 60's and my heyday. Choose carefully which to modify as this car will never reach to heights of your Goat convertible or your wife's T/A monetarily in complete stock form and any modification what so ever will never be accepted by anyone seeking a totally original vehicle, even a stereo is wrong.

That's how all vehicles are looked at. Now you can take her out, listen to an A M channel of it's radio and wish it had A/C on those hot days :)
Lol your a funny guy..... I also have well 10 other cars some are 426 original hemi cars and a few very rare weird ones one is a 1988 Ford Saleen Ranger pick up and they only built 24 of them, I use that truck everyday. Google it, its really weird but very cool as well .... I sold my FM3 pink duster 340 a few years ago and want another....I also have a S/C Rambler, yes. Have been called captain America. LoL. And to thinkits not value, it's truly beauty of the cars I collect....I have made up my mind, the Barracuda will remain as it is......thanks for the advise everyone

You have to really be an enthusiast to appreciate the Saleen ranger. I'm certainly not fond of the appearance.

You have to really be an enthusiast to appreciate the Saleen ranger. I'm certainly not fond of the appearance.

LoL.... I love that stupid truck......the rarest vehicle I have ever owned. ... People ask me why I did that to that truck? I tell them I did not , Steve Saleen did it!

While I believe that it's your car, do what you want , I don't think that car is one to mess with. It looks to be in great condition and IMHO it shouldn't be changed. Yes I am a guy who likes original factory cars, but I understand that not everyone does. As some have already said, take a car that needs work and do the swap with that one instead of making changes to this one. I had a lot of trouble find my Formula S because most all that were for sale were modified in one way or another. Again it's your car to do with as you please but I hope you'll choose to leave this great lookin' car alone and find a project car to do what you want with.

It's already decided ....I will leave the Barracuda as is.
It really is a nice car.... Now I need to do some more detailing to it. Small things but fun to do.

Well that settles that. Although I am not a collector, I do have quite a few daily drivers, half of which are sleepers so to speak. I am not familiar with a saleen ranger yet I do have a totally stock bodied 90 chevy pick up with a blueprinted LT1 96 corvette engine and t56 six speed along with a suspension built for canyon cruising which has scared many Porsche and BMW drivers. I love hi-speed vehicles :)

Good luck on your endeavors..

But to get 3 pages of comments in less then 24 hours, that is priceless.

Well that settles that. Although I am not a collector, I do have quite a few daily drivers, half of which are sleepers so to speak. I am not familiar with a saleen ranger yet I do have a totally stock bodied 90 chevy pick up with a blueprinted LT1 96 corvette engine and t56 six speed along with a suspension built for canyon cruising which has scared many Porsche and BMW drivers. I love hi-speed vehicles :)

Good luck on your endeavors..

I bet that's fun!

I only found a few pics of a white ranger on google. Maybe it's yours?

I bet that's fun!

I only found a few pics of a white ranger on google. Maybe it's yours?
no its the one in Texas you found (the only one on the net) research states they say 27 total but 3 were track only leaving 24..BUT they started numbering them at #10 to 24 making 15 trucks built for the public.... The only other one that they know of was a give away truck (#10) that was given away in a raffle based out of Texas, Well mine is #10 and I bought it off Craigs list 3 years ago from the original owner that did win it in the raffle....It was the best 750.00 I ever spent.

no its the one in Texas you found (the only one on the net) research states they say 27 total but 3 were track only leaving 24..BUT they started numbering them at #10 to 24 making 15 trucks built for the public.... The only other one that they know of was a give away truck (#10) that was given away in a raffle based out of Texas, Well mine is #10 and I bought it off Craigs list 3 years ago from the original owner that did win it in the raffle....It was the best 750.00 I ever spent.

What do those ugly buggers retail for now and what drivetrain?

What do those ugly buggers retail for now and what drivetrain?
I have no idea what the value is.probobly not a lot.....All Saleens in the 80's had body, interior,wheels, and suspenion changed but never the engines...It has a 2.9 6cyl standard shift with overdrive.

boy that aint the best looking front end ive seen lol Sorry call them as i see them , and you cant miss that sucker lol

Maybe its just the mopar in me but .......................

Attachments

• 27631570355_large.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 128
-
Back