1965 cuda fell in ditch help

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
I fell into a ditch a dented my front fender any options please and now it sounds really bad but still drives?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 619
Sounds like a loose belt. Maybe the impact shook something loose. The fender is more than savable.

A good body an would know you can't pound that out, you need to pull it forward and tap the ridges to release the ridge and allow it to move back and lock it in place.
good bodyman can pound that out...

On the screeching sound...like gdrill said, check the alternator belt. Just loosen the adjuster bolt, push the alternator to tighten the belt, and re-tighten the adjuster bolt.

On the screeching sound...like gdrill said, check the alternator belt. Just loosen the adjuster bolt, push the alternator to tighten the belt, and re-tighten the adjuster bolt.
like it doesn't rev up all the way like it should. the adjuster bolt? its just one bolt that connects to the alternator bracket right?

Hard to say why it's not revving up now. While you're doing the alternator belt, have a good look around to make sure nothing in jammed into the motor after your venture off road.

On the alternator you should have a mounting bolt top and bottom. On the slant six I think the stationary bolt is on the bottom and the adjuster rod top. The 273 is the other way around.

Loosen both. The stationary just loosen a little. Then you might get something like a wooden broom handle to pry the alternator so the belt tightens up a little. You don't want it too tight, then while you're holding it tight, have a buddy tighten both bolts. When you're done you want to be able to move the belt up and down about a 1/4 of an inch.

There should be some youtube videos out there that will help.

Just want to say don't freak out or beat yourself up too much, these things happen and it's not that big of a deal...you'll get some useful experience in the process.

One tip if it's bugging you to see the damage, park it so the "bad" side is away from your line of sight...that's what I did after I crunched up Goldie one time, a lot worse...

Just want to say don't freak out or beat yourself up too much, these things happen and it's not that big of a deal...you'll get some useful experience in the process.

One tip if it's bugging you to see the damage, park it so the "bad" side is away from your line of sight...that's what I did after I crunched up Goldie one time, a lot worse...
yea definitely but i honestly don't know how to start man. I just got the car too I'm so devasted in myself for doing that.

yea definitely but i honestly don't know how to start man. I just got the car too I'm so devasted in myself for doing that.

I figured you're feeling down...that's what this site is for, start by getting the alternator back where it's supposed to be if it got knocked loose. Also get yourself a FACTORY service manual, not Chilton's or Haynes.

I figured you're feeling down...that's what this site is for, start by getting the alternator back where it's supposed to be if it got knocked loose. Also get yourself a FACTORY service manual, not Chilton's or Haynes.
nice thanks man i just downloaded it.

guys part these out all the time on parts cars for sale section. PM Kern Dog hes in your area might have something.

Might have kicked the lower radiator support back or up and the fan is now rubbing or jammed on the shroud or radiator. You hearing belt squeal? Difficult to tell by your pic but looks like the bumper is kicked back and/or up. You need to get in there and get a close look. Some tension and some hammer and dolly work that fender could be saved, but make sure it doesn't have other damage.

like it doesn't rev up all the way like it should. the adjuster bolt? its just one bolt that connects to the alternator bracket right?

If it dont rev up all the way now it makes me wonder if you can get under hood pics to post for us. The /6 had a solid linkage instead of cable. It could have torn a motor mount or bent something causing the throttle to not open fully. Could be alot of things and pics would help us help you.

-
Back